• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Filleting and cooking Pike

Violin_guy

49 minutes ago, rotuts said:

trout up here are very very heavy , w very very bad metals.

signs in 18 languages :  " eat , Die "

It'll take years to kill you though.

😃

10 minutes ago, gfweb said:

It'll take years to kill you though.

😃

We had those signs at a local lake (Bixby Slough) due to Monsanto and refinery run-off.. Did not stop SE Asian immigrants. Funding finally disbursed to dredge and cap. Nice now. Kinda creepy when you saw mutant frogs along path (one legged, eyes wrong place etc)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/2/2021 at 4:31 PM, Eatmywords said:

Yes, I thought the same.  Look to be stealth predators and their teeth are certainly no joke.   Now I want quenelles like my mom made many decades ago. 

@Violin_guyyou mentioned filleting but didn't share your method.  Do tell

I use this method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjbmTxhX7qE

• 1 year later...

One of Ronnie's buddies went fishing in Minnesota in August.  Yesterday he brought some vac packed, frozen pike over for us.  I just read this thread.  I take it they are very bony.......  Not sure yet what to do with it.  Should I just fry it?

Side note:  What the heck is the orange thing in there?  There's one in every frozen package.  He told Ronnie it helps somehow keep the fish better or something?????  Google wasn't helpful.

thumbnail_IMG_3158.jpg.6cd9236c14e5ae58e1f7ff08b6149805.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

what a wonderful 

Opportunity !

I do love Pike.

there was a restaurant , just out side of Chicago , ie Illinois 

and they had that fish , I think , and another 

still wiggling

and for an extra fee of $0.50   they would debone etc the fishes.

and it was an all you can eat !

there might have been a potato item also involved

do not remember  there was a very nice tartar sauce.

back then , no young , yet amusing Chabis

and m No Soda was w served.

possible bread products , I just remember the fish , the butter  and lemon.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

One of Ronnie's buddies went fishing in Minnesota in August.  Yesterday he brought some vac packed, frozen pike over for us.  I just read this thread.  I take it they are very bony.......  Not sure yet what to do with it.  Should I just fry it?

Side note:  What the heck is the orange thing in there?  There's one in every frozen package.  He told Ronnie it helps somehow keep the fish better or something?????  Google wasn't helpful.

thumbnail_IMG_3158.jpg.6cd9236c14e5ae58e1f7ff08b6149805.jpg

Northerns are delicious, but very bony. The bones end in a Y shape that makes them even more problematic for me. I recommend that when you thaw a package, feel along each filet and be prepared to remove bones with a pair of needle-nosed pliers before you fry! Note that some fisherfolk are quite skilled at getting the bones out during the fileting process, so you may not need the pliers. Be careful with first package or two until you know.

I've never seen anything like that orange thing. I wonder if it's just a way to collect stray water during the vacuum pumping? Strictly a guess.

As to how to cook it: fry, baby, fry! But take the skin off first. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

51 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Northerns are delicious, but very bony. The bones end in a Y shape that makes them even more problematic for me. I recommend that when you thaw a package, feel along each filet and be prepared to remove bones with a pair of needle-nosed pliers before you fry! Note that some fisherfolk are quite skilled at getting the bones out during the fileting process, so you may not need the pliers. Be careful with first package or two until you know.

I've never seen anything like that orange thing. I wonder if it's just a way to collect stray water during the vacuum pumping? Strictly a guess.

Ok.  Thanks for your help!  He's an accomplished fisherman--and he's been up there tons to fish so hopefully he's also a good fish cleaner, but I'll have the pliers at the ready just in case.

I'll be frying!

I can't believe there is an actual gadget that we, here on EG, have never seen.   Maybe I should post in the what is this gadget thread......

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Smithy said:

Northern Pike is famous for Gefilte Fish. Maybe not so much in Minnesota?