• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can anyone suggest a non-sweet, non-fruity sauce for pan-roasted duck breast?

robie

It is just my wife and me for Christmas (thanks Covid).  I'm doing pan-roasted duck breasts (thanks D'Artagnan).  My wife does not like the usual sweet (port-based), fruity (cherry, berry, orange) sauces used in Western cuisine.  The rest of the menu is western so I'm not looking for anything asian.  Any suggestions for a good sauce under that constraint?

Thank you!

How about a riff on (or of ?!) Sauce Foyot, so a basically a Sauce Bearnaise in which you incorporate the reduced pan juices of the roasted duck ... should work pretty well for a rare/medium rare duck breast.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Duvel said:

How about a riff on (or of ?!) Sauce Foyot, so a basically a Sauce Bearnaise in which you incorporate the reduced pan juices of the roasted duck ... should work pretty well for a rare/medium rare duck breast.

Don't get saucy with me, Bernaise!!!!!  Sorry... someone had to say it....

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, MokaPot said:

What about a sauce that has a vinegar element? I think of duck as something rich & fatty (in a good way), so maybe vinegar would complement that. When I Googled, lots of hits for a sherry vinegar duck sauce.

Yeah - amybe like a gastrique - the slightly sweet and sour. I've made a brown duck sauce, added some raspberries, and some raspberry vinegar. Was very good, but the OP wanted to stay away from fruit.

Demiglace? That fits the bill.  If you don't have duck stock to cook down, I'd imagine the veal variety you can get from stores would play nicely... maybe go in an au poivre direction with a few twists of pepper and a splash of brandy in it?

Edited by cdh (log)
  • Like 3

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

• 3 weeks later...