• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Equipment Ideas

daniel123456789876543

13 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Like any immersion blender, when engaged, the working head MUST stay below the surface of the liquid or product being mixed or you will spray/shoot puree over the immediate area...and beyond only to be found a week later.

True, but whizzing something which contains stewed meat is really, really messy – even with the head submerged.

Ask me how I know! 😎

• Haha 3

After the knives as @weinoo mentioned - I my find myself using a small and a large mortar and pestle often. I dislike countertop clutter but one is marble and the other the dark green granite so they have a place. As Mitch also mentioned, not knowing how you cook or what your aspirations are makes this conversation less than useful.  

6 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Does everyone love their Bamix?

I do -I've had one for over a decade which is saying something because I've put that thing through its paces at home and professionally. Its  certainly not a substitute for a Vitamix but very handy if you cook a lot -at least it has been for me

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Thanks @Margaret Pilgrimand others who recommended the Bamix immersion blender. That was my xmas gift and I used it for the first time today. It's brilliant! Made a large pot of leek and potato soup. Can't believe how well it blends. Perfect!

And isn't the easy cleanup a bonus versus the blender :)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, heidih said:

And isn't the easy cleanup a bonus versus the blender :)

That, and the fact that you need an additional large bowl to put the blended soup into until the soup pot is empty and you can pour back in the blended soup. 

I have an old workhorse of a processor which I use consistently and a Ninja bullet blender which is really great for smoothies and also easy to clean. My first move will be to put the lousy blender up into high storage and see whether I ever really want to use it. Right now the only thing I can think of that a blender does best is make chile sauce from dried chiles. However, my blender really doesn't have enough power and makes an inferior sauce. Pros like Bayless and others have high tech super blenders for that job. Not going there.

7 hours ago, Tony Mak said:

Anything wrong with Bron mandolin ? problems with application or different to clean ( i saw many comments that is hard to clean ). Thanks!

I rinse mine off. Doesn't seem that difficult to me, other than to be careful not to cut a finger off. While cleaning or using.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

8 hours ago, Tony Mak said:

@ElsieDAnything wrong with Bron mandolin ? problems with application or different to clean ( i saw many comments that is hard to clean ). Thanks!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Bron mandoline.  I just lived in fear of losing a digit whenever I assembled it, used it, disassembled it then cleaned it.  It was much more of a piece of equipment than I needed.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Bron mandoline.  I just lived in fear of losing a digit whenever I assembled it, used it, disassembled it then cleaned it.  It was much more of a piece of equipment than I needed.

It's overkill, for sure, for most home kitchens. But I don't think it needs assembly or disassembly, just folding and unfolding the legs.

As oft mentioned, a French mouli-julienne can be a best friend.

1040383750_MouliJulienne.jpeg.341822690cf6906d0e1431f18e3ef3b4.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

33 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I saw a multiple mandolins with the box underneath, looks alike easy to use and clean. Have you seen it before?