• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Osso Buco & Polenta

jg488

I'm invited to a dinner party where they're serving osso buco and polenta. My job is to bring the wine, and I'm hoping you have some suggestions. I live in an area where the retail wine selection is very limited, so general recommendations would be more useful than specific bottles which might be hard to find.

I'll write in after the party with a report.

Thanks!

JR

Barolo or Barbaresco would be the classic matches, but if that is hard to find or over your budget, look for a great Barbera d' Alba. Of course, in reality any good Italian like Chianti Classico (or good red wine from anywhere) that is not to heavily fruity or oaky (like Australian, Calif. Zinfandel) would go well. A good solid California Pinot Noir like Saintsbury or Sanford would also work as would an excellent Cotes du Rhone Villages from France.

It is interesting that you mention Osso Bucco with Polenta as the classic combination in the area is with Risotto Milanese (italian rice with saffron) but when you eat at people homes in Lombardia polenta is more common.

Braised meat dishes often seem like the ideal setup for something profound (think mature Barolo, Barbaresco, Burgundy, etc.), but there is one wild card you should think about:

CARROTS

The base used for many osso buco recipes (onions/carrots/celery) adds a touch of sweetness that can throw off many serious red wines, especially if they have some age on them.

I like the previous suggestion of a California Pinot - there's enough fruitiness there to deal with the carrots, but enough elegance to match the basic character of the dish. Austere wines from Chianti or Bordeaux, or mature, delicate wines from just about anywhere, are the ones you really want to avoid.

Good luck!

Thanks for all of your wonderful suggestions. The meal was great. I wound up buying a '97 Marchesi di Barolo, which was wonderful.

I paid $80 for that bottle - anyone know if that's a good deal?

(Maybe this belongs on the wine board...)

JR