• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Imperfect, Misfit, Etc. (The Food Delivery Services)

BTW

although this might make some chatter

Pears are perhaps the only ' stone ' fruit

ie w pits

that does ripen off the tree.

true ripening , not just getting mushier.

tomatoes do something similar 

but not the same as if left 

" on the vine "

pears , treeless , work the same as if on the tree

w in reason of course 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, rotuts said:

BTW

ie w pits

tomatoes do something similar 

but not the same as if left 

" on the vine "

w in reason of course 

Pears (and apples) are not stone fruits.

On 1/21/2021 at 12:16 PM, rotuts said:

BTW

ie w pits

w in reason of course 

Just so.  That's what makes pears such a great fruit to keep.  In the fridge, they "hold" really well - basically static.  When you take them out, they start to ripen.  Some sweet friend of Jessica's sent her a box with nine of the Royal Riviera pears from Harry and David.  They are huge pears - sliced up, one served all three of us.  Using the method I described above, we were able to keep them perfectly until the last one.

• Like 4
21 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Just so.  That's what makes pears such a great fruit to keep.  In the fridge, they "hold" really well - basically static.  When you take them out, they start to ripen.  Some sweet friend of Jessica's sent her a box with nine of the Royal Riviera pears from Harry and David.  They are huge pears - sliced up, one served all three of us.  Using the method I described above, we were able to keep them perfectly until the last one.

In the old days those RR pears from Harry and David were spectacular. I had the feeling they packed them very carefully with attention to varying states of ripeness. I kept them in a cool room, not refrigerated. But the last time I ordered them, maybe five years ago, the quality and attention to detail was way down. They just weren't great. Made me sad, and I decided, given the price, not to buy them anymore. This season I've had some excellent Anjou pears. I keep them on the counter and that short window of "just right" has been easy to gauge. When it comes to pears I'm with Flannery O'Connor: a good one is hard to find.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

This week's Imperfect box:

DSC_7709.jpg

One of the heads of garlic was rotten through, and the potato is the size of a small sedan. Otherwise it all looks pretty good.

Those leeks look huge!  I ordered those for this week.  Braised leeks sound good.

• Like 1