• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Imperfect, Misfit, Etc. (The Food Delivery Services)

Chris Hennes

At least you are getting your deliveries, lol. Expected Tuesday, --now it is Thursday. Bummer. :) but shit happens. It was such a good selection...all about cheese. 

I even had fresh batteries in a couple thermoworks spot fridge temperature cubes. (I set one into the cooler packs away from the ice packs to check if the bag is fridge temps)--and a thermopop to check any meats. 

We have had a couple meal challenges the last couple days but that is what the stocked pantry and freezer is for. 

Just have to wonder where 2 boxes of rotting food ended up. They left the station but no delivery anywhere so not a wrong address. 

I have a delivery window for tomorrow from FreshDirect so no problems. 

• Sad 1

Delivery from Misfits showed up last night, Friday. A few hours after they deleted my total charged bill. They packed on Monday for a Tuesday delivery. Four days later... Had a garbage bag handy. Head scratching that most things are fine. Clearly the vegetable box had a bottom blow-out by the evidence of an angry re-taping using gobs of tape. A bit gross that the contents fell out somewhere. Still had a chilled feel to them unlike most grocery produce.

I poked a couple cheeses with my thermopop and 38ºF is fine by me. (repacked since I compromised the seal.)

The ice packs were still partially frozen. The lamb and bison mince were 38º as well using my thermopen so I froze them and jury is still out if I use them. 

(Misfits apologized for the delay on Wednesday). 

I did tell them last night that most items seem fine. (but want me to toss any meat). They stand by deleting the entire cost.  

*I used my temp probes using alcohol swabs for safety reasons...no meat testing into cheeses. 

Good business plan to not question your consumer. 

Thankful I postponed my FreshDirect a day for this morning. I had a chance to delete lots of things I do not need duplicates. FD sent two one pound wooden box crates of salt cod. One was a bit broken so they sent a freebie. At least that order was perfect. 

Planning a road trip next week, --good grief, --we are set for variety. Thinning crisper drawer is now stuffed. 

IMG_6150.jpeg

IMG_6152.jpeg

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Like 2

I love the Lamp Chopper and the Purple Haze. Also wouldn't eat it every day, but I got one of the blueberry/thyme/something goat cheeses to serve with croissants last weekend and everyone loved it. 

Last time I ordered one of the little Coleman pork loin roasts and  a little flank steak. I put the steak in the freezer but cooked the roast that day--very tasty. I may order another one and cut it into thick chops to freeze.

One of the things I tried on a whim and have fallen in love with is the steam and marinated asparagus that comes in a bag. I expected it to be slimy and mushy like canned asparagus. It is not at all and it is great to put in salads. I ordered another couple of them to keep in the pantry. And noticed yesterday that the same brand now has artichokes, so am putting one of those in my order to try.

Sorry for lack of photos--for some reason I'm having trouble posting photos here.

• Like 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

I purchased all the CypresGrove and the goat cheeses from VermontCreamery over the holidays. Whatever they were covered in--bee pollen, lol. 

I had it all sent to my family home south. All of it was devoured and appreciated. Various cheese and charcuterie boards. 

Not necessarily here at home. I can add my own fresh herbs. 

I'm having an open house next weekend---open farm. 3 hundred pounds of rhubarb. (I divided 3 massive plots/clumps 20 years ago) 

Cheeses/charcuterie/smoked baby spat-choked chickens. Maybe shrimps. Giant shaved salads/slaws. 

Rhubarb bbq sauce.  

*at the time I thought a rhubarb and garlic farm would be a nice retirement 'hands-off' farm eventually. If I kept up with the rows, I would have 2,000 pounds at 7$ a pound. But we have other interests now. I just give rhubarb away for free. 

Stocking the pantry without hoarding behavior is often complicated. Crisper is full with a few weeks of salad/vegetable choices. As is the freezer for proteins. Used the last of the olives, anchovies, prosciutto last night on pizza. 

I need shelf stable olives. Anchovies, sardines. SuperMarketItaly has a good selection of olives and anchovies. Prepping for a coupe road trips. 

I ordered once during covid from SMItaly. And once from iGoumet. 

Not a great selection of sardines from SMI. but we prefer smoked and spiced. They have that. 

Any-who, not sure what the point is other than I have no other choices I know of. 8 or so varieties of shelf stable olives and some tins of smoked fishes. One single ordering source is preferred. 

We are heading to a remote location next month with a very limited grocery supply. (lots of fresh seafood)---Newfoundland where we have a home.

• Like 1

^^^nice to see the artichokes again. They had them a couple years ago. Doubt I would seek them out full retail but if memory serves, I ate the full package 5 minutes after delivery. Good road trip snacks being shelf stable. Lots of nuts and granola and freeze dried blueberries I see. I'll try the asparagus. I just need to hide it all from myself or I'll snack before it makes it to the truck packing. 

The cheeses are probably the best deal offered. 

The pork loin is good. Great leftovers for next day lunches and/or another dinner. 

• Like 1

Been a while since I took time to take pictures.  Misfits is still treating me pretty well.  The last 3 weeks they have offered mango oranges--I really wanted to try them, but for 3 weeks now they are missing from the box.  I got credits back each time but it's kind of weird that it keeps happening.  I had also ordered 2 cases of sparkling water that weren't there. Also got credit for those.  It's so easy to get problems resolved that it doesn't bother me too much when mistakes happen.  Or maybe I'm just easy to please lol.

I ordered a bit more than usual for the holiday weekend so we'd have some fruit to make a salad out of if we wished

thumbnail_IMG_4519-1.jpg.c9431f440432e032ce132592001c1a38.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4520.jpg.78e3d1649982a300f6a87f8412dc6ae4.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4521.jpg.f213a319014307ab3000f309ab1fbf67.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4522.jpg.54ac6000bb641b00d71c27376eeb8711.jpg

I'm addicted to those caramels and chocolates.  

This cost was a little over $150.

• Like 4

Whatcha gonna do with those poblanos, @Shelby?

I do hope you'll report back on the mango oranges when you get them. I've never heard of them before now.

• Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

21 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Whatcha gonna do with those poblanos, @Shelby?

I do hope you'll report back on the mango oranges when you get them. I've never heard of them before now.

I’ve already roasted peeled and am going to vac pack them in a bit then freeze.  They always have such nice meaty ones so I buy a lot —they freeze well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

I’ve already roasted peeled and am going to vac pack them in a bit then freeze.  They always have such nice meaty ones so I buy a lot —they freeze well.

For those who are as interested in mango oranges as I (especially when I thought that @Shelby had roasted them) click.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I haven't noticed the mango oranges, but am going to look for them now. They sound delicious. Today is my order day--mid-afternoon. We are decorating family graves all day today, so most everything might be sold out by the time I get on to order anyway. Sigh.

I do want to say how pleased I was with the strawberries I received from Misfits. I was hesitant to order them, but they were perfect. We had some in a salad last night and they were just delicious.

Edited by Maison Rustique
add information (log)
  • Like 2

Deb

Liberty, MO

2 hours ago, Maison Rustique said:

I haven't noticed the mango oranges, but am going to look for them now. They sound delicious. Today is my order day--mid-afternoon. We are decorating family graves all day today, so most everything might be sold out by the time I get on to order anyway. Sigh.

I do want to say how pleased I was with the strawberries I received from Misfits. I was hesitant to order them, but they were perfect. We had some in a salad last night and they were just delicious.

Our windows must open at the same time today--3:00.  I'm supposed to go to a family thing at 2 sigh.  You can bet that I will be shopping at the stroke of 3 somewhere in a corner lol.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Maison Rustique said:

With the aggressive and highly competitive breeding programs at places like mega brand Driscoll's and the huge public program at the University of California at Davis the market has continual new varieties that ship better and have a variety of crafted  tastes, and with global farming factored in give us tasty strawberries most of the year.  https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/08/21/how-driscolls-reinvented-the-strawberry

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, kayb said:

I tried to place a Misfits order yesterday and the damn website refused to let me log on. I am perturbed.

You should be able to order any day, any time. Since I only order every 3-4 weeks I don't use an ordering window. But sometimes I find a glitch that wants me to wait. Usually the next day it says "change date and start shopping". 

*They do have a header notification about delivery delays because of the holiday.

They have melons and cherries now--2 pounds of cherries for 6.69. They have always been good every spring. 

I never have an issue with much selling out. Last delivery they ran out of scallions and credited my account before sending. I hold off shopping locally until I get my delivery. In case something I stock regularly is missing, like celery/fennel/radishes/ginger. Right now they are out of carrots but I can get them anywhere. 

The brioche buns are great and half the price of the same brand locally. Mine went straight to the freezer. 

Edited by Annie_H (log)

My weekly haul. Was happy they put it in two boxes. And really happy that it got here just before we left for an appointment so it didn't have to sit out in the heat all afternoon.

And I caught the driver while he was here so I could show him where I keep  the snacks and water for delivery folks. I have a new friend. 🙂

IMG_4784.jpeg

IMG_4785.jpeg

• Like 6

Deb

Liberty, MO

5 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

And I caught the driver while he was here so I could show him where I keep  the snacks and water for delivery folks. I have a new friend. 🙂

What a sweet great idea!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Early morning delivery from FreshDirect. This would usually be a Misfits in rotation but I wanted more local NJ asparagus, fiddleheads, ramps, red spring onions, etc. 

I trim all greens stem ends a 1/4 inch and into a 4 -6 inch cold water bath in the sink. Asparagus as well. Your chard could use a big drink. I don't wash the leafy tops until ready to cook. 

Produce is expensive so I've worked out many ways to extend their fridge life. 

This cilantro was delivered two weeks ago today. Stored in water in a glass jar, dry paper towel on top, loose bag. I treat asparagus the exact same way. Stored in water standing--dry p-towel, loose bag covering. 

Snip cilantro as I need it, re-fresh the water when I think of it. Or every time I snip a handful, I freshen the water. 

Crisper drawer rich at the moment, I think I'll make another spicy green sauce and another arugula pesto--still have an abundance of that arugula. Both freeze well in half pints. 

*I keep my cilantro and asparagus jars on the lower shelf in my fridge door. The less cold spot in my fridge. Runs 39-40ºF.(37-38º in the morning when the fridge has not been opened all night). Upper middle back is the coldest-36-37º. Upper back 35º. 

(best purchase, Thermoworks temp spots.) The temp spots light up when the door is opened. 

Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 5.00.34 PM.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Early lock-down 2020 I ordered once each from iGourmet, SuperMarketItaly, and Eataly. (Eataly was a healthy gift card burning a hole in my wallet).

This is SMItaly. Sadly they are the 'bubble wrap people'. : ) And so much of it. Never see that much any more. 

Anywho, we have been out of pantry olives for a month. And anchovies. Stocked up. 

Misfits has kept us well stocked for a couple years from ThreeLittlePigs and others but that train ended/derailed.

Love the olive oil soap. And the pasta. Six packages of the Garofalo pappardelle. A favorite spaghettoni, --a fat spaghetti.

Only regret was not getting six small tins of anchovies instead of one. (thought I ordered six)

The nicoise olives seem inconsistent in color. Different batches. 

Just pleased to fill the pantry. 

IMG_6336.jpeg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

I tried that brand of olives, and they left me wanting...food service quality, I guess.

I don't think I've ever had "nice" olives in a glass jar that were as good as what I get from a deli-type source. My guess is the heat of processing kills something in the flavor.

(I'd love to be proved wrong; as the only olive eater in my house it'd be nice to be able to keep them in the pantry!)