• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Imperfect, Misfit, Etc. (The Food Delivery Services)

Chris Hennes

6 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

I have completed my special offer orders. I am due to put in another order on Monday. I will take a look and see what they have and what prices are. I still can't figure out how everything I want is sold out within minutes of the ordering time beginning. It is nuts! If it is the same this time, I am just going to cancel.

I didn't notice anything I would have bought as "sold out" here.  I don't usually do prepared foods, I think that's what I saw mostly as sold out, like 3 Little Pigs Egg Bites, and salad kits and sweets/breads.

But it's probably very regional anyway.   Hope you have a better experience.  I kind of Meh on Misfits right now.   Nothing terribly wrong, but nothing terribly compelling either.

If I was remote or unable to get to most shopping, I'd be thrilled with Misfits despite the minor issues I had.   I definitely see a benefit in those cases.

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

Yet I can't pick the winner of a horse race.

The person running the book. Every time. :P

• Haha 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 3/3/2023 at 9:12 AM, lemniscate said:

I didn't notice anything I would have bought as "sold out" here.  I don't usually do prepared foods, I think that's what I saw mostly as sold out, like 3 Little Pigs Egg Bites, and salad kits and sweets/breads.

But it's probably very regional anyway.   Hope you have a better experience.  I kind of Meh on Misfits right now.   Nothing terribly wrong, but nothing terribly compelling either.

I think @Maison Rustique was talking about Imperfect, not Misfits — and despite being the same company with mostly the same products, my recent experience with Imperfect was that they were sold out of a lot more things than Misfits. I skipped one week when I had the 50% off offer because I logged in two hours late and about 80% of the entire fruit section was greyed out.

My guess is that it's because Imperfect only has the option for an auto-filled cart, whereas with Misfits that's a new thing and probably a very small percentage of their subscribers.

I canceled after the discount ran out — if I order again the Misfits interface works better for me. (Unless of course they throw another 50% off coupon my way.)

Unrelatedly, did a second Umamicart order recently and once again had a great experience. Splurged on the kaya jam trio with milk bread and have been enjoying it as a change of pace at breakfast. Next one will probably be from Weee! — though it may be a while as we're traveling in a few weeks and I'll be trying to draw down the stockpiles. Our dog sitters probably will appreciate having some room in the fridge and freezer for their own stuff...

Edited by dtremit (log)
  • Like 1

I did cancel my Imperfect subscription. My order period opened at 1 pm yesterday. I clicked on at 1:08. There was nothing left that I wanted. Something is wrong with their system. They asked why I was cancelling and I told them. Maybe they will get better. Also prices were way high. I know they are everywhere, but I can definitely do better than that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

I had a rather insane experience with Amazon Fresh pickup today.   I placed an order and due to some local travel I was going to be very close to the Hub and I could do a parking lot pickup instead of delivery.    I followed the app instructions, parked in one of the designated green signage pickup spots, checked in with app and got confirmation they knew I was there.   Then I get an almost instant notification that my items are “picked up” and the delivery is finished.  Nothing and no one came to my vehicle.   The only people there were the delivery drivers (contractors).  No customer desk/real Amazon employee to ask.  I waited over the time set for pickup window.   Called a 800# which was unable to help.  I believe they are overseas.  They claimed a refund could not be given at that time.  I eventually went back into the app and requested refund on whole order for missing delivery.   Looks like it may have worked.   But it was insane how screwed up this was.   I have done other store pickups and only after you get the items in the car is it considered picked up. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2023 at 9:22 AM, Maison Rustique said:

I did cancel my Imperfect subscription. My order period opened at 1 pm yesterday. I clicked on at 1:08. There was nothing left that I wanted. Something is wrong with their system. They asked why I was cancelling and I told them. Maybe they will get better. Also prices were way high. I know they are everywhere, but I can definitely do better than that.

That is too bad. I would cancel also if I had such trouble. 

Such a different shopping experience here. Two weeks ago today I received a Misfits delivery. It would normally be FreshDirect in rotation every two weeks. But early in that weed I did a direct cost/cross comparison with FreshDirect. 35 vegetable items, many bags and same farm/brands like CalOrganic. A dozen pantry items and a dozen items in a cold pack. Across the board 75cents to three dollars cheaper than FreshDirect or WholeFoods. 75+dollars cheaper overall. I do like FD being a full grocery with paper needs and toothpaste, etc. FD also has a local farm share box on sale at the moment so I like supporting that. I do care about organic since I juice and make green smoothie shots. Double celery, tripple carrots, triple lacinate kale, big bag of golden beets and ginger. Still cheaper by 25-50 cents over the non-organic. But we are 75-80% plant based diet. Raw, steamed, roasted. 2-3 meals a week are meatless but no way in hell vegan or vegetarian. We have no close friends vegan, just some family members. 

I stumbled across a tick-toc (thank goodness they are short)...a TJ's shopper doing his weekly shopping. I thought it was a 'what's new' dealio. Nope, just wheeling through the downtown location in the converted underground parking garage. He spent 140$ and walked out comfortably with two brown paper grocery bags. (on foot NYC shopping needs to be a simple 'carry'). I spent 158$ Misfits including shipping--same 7.99 for two boxes I could not lift being so heavy. I had to transfer into 4 of the big blue Ikea bags. 

DH tripped and face planted two weeks ago in the last snow storm and just gradually getting better every day--lower back pain. I have been doing all the household needs and care-giver. All the heavy lifting---garbage, recycling, cooking, laundry, etc. I would pay much more for the conveniences of delivery but it is just not so. A nightmare to add to my list a Saturday or Sunday 3-4 shopping stops to get what I can get from delivery. 

Amazing variation in my crisper drawer and pantry without the time suck from shopping in person. 

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Like 3

Odd FreshDirect experience this past weekend. Early Saturday 8am. Two bags. One with tp and Kleenex. The other with a small box of good cheeses, a bag of potatoes, wild gulf shrimp and decent cherry tomatoes. Two bags missing. Half our order. Leeks, beets, cucumbers, greens, 3 containers of miso, red cabbage, greens onions, Rao's sauce, etc.

DH pulled the two bags in and said, "surprised the order is so light". Duh. If we had shoes on and pants we could have caught the truck out front. 

Immediately contacted them thinking the vegetables were still on the truck being not far away. 

Seemed reasonable. Trying to solve the mystery. Catching the driver being not too far away. 

Nope. 

Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 11.50.50 AM.png

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

I continue to love Misfits.  More and more they have new and different items--more like Imperfect used to be for me.  I've been bad about taking pictures--I seem to always be in a rush to get things unpacked and put away--but I couldn't resist showing these beautiful poblanos.

thumbnail_IMG_4250.jpg.4080f89329ea9c9817ebb2c47d3aa040.jpg

They had them again this week so I bought more.

Annnnnd, sunchokes!

thumbnail_IMG_4251.jpg.d6d6675eac3acb19381764e60daad4e7.jpg

My mom bought some a couple weeks ago and liked them.  She said they remind her of turnips when cooked--she roasted some and then boiled and mashed the rest.

I don't know what I'm going to do yet--google here I come.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I continue to love Misfits.  More and more they have new and different items--more like Imperfect used to be for me.  I've been bad about taking pictures--I seem to always be in a rush to get things unpacked and put away--but I couldn't resist showing these beautiful poblanos.

Annnnnd, sunchokes!

My mom bought some a couple weeks ago and liked them.  She said they remind her of turnips when cooked--she roasted some and then boiled and mashed the rest.

Those are beautiful chiles! 

As for the sunchokes...remember also to look under "Jerusalem artichokes". I played around with them and got some ideas from members in 2014. This post and the subsequent comments may give you some ideas.

• Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I just placed my first order with Wild Fork (having terminated my Wild Alaska subscription).

Because of my location, the shipping is a bit steep, so this will be a good test to see if it's a viable option for me in the future.  Their stuff really looks good.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lindag said:

I just placed my first order with Wild Fork (having terminated my Wild Alaska subscription).

Because of my location, the shipping is a bit steep, so this will be a good test to see if it's a viable option for me in the future.  Their stuff really looks good.

Why did you terminate Wild Alaskan, if you don't mind saying? 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

17 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Why did you terminate Wild Alaskan, if you don't mind saying? 

I don't mind.

It's just been a while now and I'm all fished up.

I'd like something different.

My one complaint with them, however, would be the odd cuts of the fish.

Not presentation worthy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

Annnnnd, sunchokes!

I have also been happier than ever with Misfits. My last order was probably 6 weeks ago. At the moment I have an open cart until tomorrow 3pm. Delivered Friday for the weekend. 

Reminds me of those that shop TJ's. Always new things to try and favorites no longer offered. They still offer some CypressGrove cheeses and a few new ones. Little 2lb pasture raised chickens---(I ordered two)...and pasture raised bison burgers. 

I use poblanos in place of the horrid green peppers. I make a roasted Peruvian green sauce similar to an Argentinian chimichurri. 

I like sun chokes sliced thin as chips. One of many methods. Chunked coarse and roasted with other vegetables...

+I've heard about digestive issues but fortunately we don't have that. 

I photo my local farm meat shares so I can look on my screen to see what is in the freezer. This mornings delivery--after canceling for four months.

We have not had a steak in months. January through April, the cold months, we make soups and noodle bowls---plant based, steamed, roasted, blanched--Looking forward to a steak tomorrow, 😁--half portion we will make maybe fajitas, tacos, or a salad bowl. 

IMG_5813.jpeg

• Like 5

We are very happy with WildFork. Our first order just before the holidays. It is a-la-cart. Pick what you want. Not a mystery box or a monthly set-up that needs to be tended---meaning, if you want to skip or postpone a month, you need to pay attention and change the date on their website. I canceled ButcherBox because of that same problem.-- A mystery box and some items were not great. 

Misfits is a-la-cart and if you don't order, nothing is sent. 

WildFork has small portions and thick cryovak packaging so no portioning at home. Putting an order together now for the Spring. One of the best racks of lamb we have ever had. Most of the fish selections are 1.5 lbs and in 4 portions. It was a pleasure putting together a fisherman's stew or chowders so quickly. The clams and mussels, though small, were clean and excellent. At that price per pound, I have 3 packs of each in my cart. 

A sasso chicken, a pork shoulder for BoSaam. Bison burgers. Bones for a master stock. A smoked duck breast for a hot pot. 

Some reviews are not so positive about communication if something goes wrong. 

Misfits is no questions asked. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Annie_H said:

We are very happy with WildFork. Our first order just before the holidays. It is a-la-cart. Pick what you want. Not a mystery box or a monthly set-up that needs to be tended---meaning, if you want to skip or postpone a month, you need to pay attention and change the date on their website. I canceled ButcherBox because of that same problem.-- A mystery box and some items were not great. 

Misfits is a-la-cart and if you don't order, nothing is sent. 

WildFork has small portions and thick cryovak packaging so no portioning at home. Putting an order together now for the Spring. One of the best racks of lamb we have ever had. Most of the fish selections are 1.5 lbs and in 4 portions. It was a pleasure putting together a fisherman's stew or chowders so quickly. The clams and mussels, though small, were clean and excellent. At that price per pound, I have 3 packs of each in my cart. 

A sasso chicken, a pork shoulder for BoSaam. Bison burgers. Bones for a master stock. A smoked duck breast for a hot pot. 

Some reviews are not so positive about communication if something goes wrong. 

Misfits is no questions asked. 

I have misfits on a weekly plan, so I either modify their suggestions, cancel, or get what they want.

I am considering cancelling. Since the first order, months ago and on weekly basics, I have to remove from their suggestions celery and brokoli every single week, and other stuff that varies a bit. 

I am not sure why in the 21st century an automated generated cart from a company that have all my previous carts  is not able to recognize what I do NOT like (and I have to reject and explicitly remove), and what I order every week...

• Like 3

12 hours ago, farcego said:

I have misfits on a weekly plan, so I either modify their suggestions, cancel, or get what they want.

I am considering cancelling. Since the first order, months ago and on weekly basics, I have to remove from their suggestions celery and brokoli every single week, and other stuff that varies a bit. 

I am not sure why in the 21st century an automated generated cart from a company that have all my previous carts  is not able to recognize what I do NOT like (and I have to reject and explicitly remove), and what I order every week...

You should be able to switch your plan to an al carte plan under your account settings.  That's what I have and I don't get anything added to my cart until I add it.

• Like 1

I order Misfits once a month. Less when the garden kicks in. Just putting away todays delivery--four weeks to the day of my last. When I log on, I get a header list of my past ordered items so I can scroll through and reorder quickly. Only a dozen or so staples do I order every time like celery, fennel, leeks, avocado, some greens but like to change it up. 

I only took a pic of box one of two. Box two --celery x2, apples, big bag of stock beef bones, 8 cheeses, tamales x2, two small 2lb Mary's chickens 5.99each. 

I think if I was feeding a large family a weekly pre-set would still not make sense for me anywho. If something is out of stock like the whole chickens, I can just order thighs. Shipping for two huge boxes once a month is 7.99--4 bucks each. 

Nice box. Green mangoes, more artichoke hearts, dill pickle treat. Half my eggs came smashed and made a mess but contained in the cooler bag so not a big deal. The entire cost of a dozen removed immediately. No questions asked. 

Maple syrup was free using points. (not tapping my trees this year with the odd weather)

I have never followed an 'ordering window' of time. I just order when I want. 

IMG_5836.jpeg

• Like 2

Oh, last two orders have been just under 150 including shipping. 

Sunchokes I like to make chips. Mandolin sliced, tossed in olive oil and oven roasted. Always roasted with a few other things. I've never had the stomach issue I've read about.

I make a Peruvian green sauce with roasted poblanos, hot peppers, garlic, onions, tomatillos if I have some but not necessary. A fresh cucumber, cilantro and limes. Blendered with a half or quarter head of romaine, depending on size---the key ingredient. The 'milk' in the ribs makes it really creamy. You would swear it has dairy or at least an avocado. Heat level, personal taste. I may add a green mango this next batch. Surprised it freezes so well. I use half pints. 

• Like 3

Just opened the 'classic dill' pickles. Meh. Will not purchase again. An odd over-spiced flavor. Like clove, all spice, star anise. Nothing on the label but 'spices'. Not really crisp. Love the ThreeLittlePigs cornichones--- I have a few pantry jars. I make fresh quick pickles twice a week or more.

Prefer a fresh crisp flavor.

These pickles are odd and not great. We both agreed the after flavor was interesting and good but not the texture. We will just have them as a fridge snack for a few weeks. 

• Like 2

On 4/6/2023 at 9:11 AM, Shelby said:

You should be able to switch your plan to an al carte plan under your account settings.  That's what I have and I don't get anything added to my cart until I add it.

Thanks, I've done that :). Anyway, my complain was a bit more on how the automated carts are generated, they know my preferences and what I regularly reject After months of weekly rejecting brocoli, for example, what is the point of include it in my automatically generated carts?. Process that does not require a lot of computing power, no time either (1 second per client?). Making the automated carts "better" would be awesome for those on regular plans.

Cheers

• Like 1

Misfit shoppers. Really nice small Mary's 2 pound chickens. Nice quick cook. spatchcocked over some roasted. vegetables. Misfits. does not. do weigh at check-out, so 5.99 is good for me. (I changed my batteries in. my scale). Roasting another tomorrow. and have two in the freezer. If they have. them. next week I'll order 4 for the 4th of July .  On the smoker. We always.  do a mixed grill. 

RedHeritage Sasso chicken for Easter said 20$ but was 35$ at weight check-out. (wildFork) No. biggie, it was delicious. We can afford it.

Misfits does not. add. weight. extras ever. (my computer is adding extra dots and dashes and im sick of correcting)

IMG_5911.jpeg

• Like 3