• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Imperfect, Misfit, Etc. (The Food Delivery Services)

Chris Hennes

Misfits keeps improving. Step-by-step. They have side lines so I can go straight to, for example, 'vegetables'. No hunting or scrolling. Now they have a search function. I usually order during CBSSundayMorning and get on with my life. I have a couple days to check back but usually don't bother. Last night I remembered I need some more hot sauce. Quick search I added a new-to-me habanero and verde RedClay brand. Zip, done. 

Then noticed another promo code for friends and family---including social media. 20$ off. Misfits discount...that never works but the code is COOKWME-WV5KVC

My parents where I grew up, EasternShore, are in a food desert as well as my brother and SIL in Idaho. When we all gathered a couple months ago east coast, I had a couple boxes sent so I did not need to pack coolers from NY. My SIL now orders once a month even though she gardens....garden seedlings are 5-6 inches now and she can't grow some of the Misfits offerings like avocados and mangoes. 

My crisper is thinning but lots of variety and many 'singletons' that need using. Looks like a slaw is in my future. 

IMG_2969.jpeg

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

Misfits keeps improving. Step-by-step. They have side lines so I can go straight to, for example, 'vegetables'. No hunting or scrolling. Now they have a search function. I usually order during CBSSundayMorning and get on with my life. I have a couple days to check back but usually don't bother. Last night I remembered I need some more hot sauce. Quick search I added a new-to-me habanero and verde RedClay brand. Zip, done. 

Then noticed another promo code for friends and family---including social media. 20$ off. Misfits discount...that never works but the code is COOKWME-WV5KVC

My parents where I grew up, EasternShore, are in a food desert as well as my brother and SIL in Idaho. When we all gathered a couple months ago east coast, I had a couple boxes sent so I did not need to pack coolers from NY. My SIL now orders once a month even though she gardens....garden seedlings are 5-6 inches now and she can't grow some of the Misfits offerings like avocados and mangoes. 

My crisper is thinning but lots of variety and many 'singletons' that need using. Looks like a slaw is in my future. 

IMG_2969.jpeg

I ordered some of that hot sauce, too.  Not the verde but the other one.  I hope it's realllllly hot to satisfy Ronnie's wants.  Most aren't hot enough for him.

Very excited to hear of the search function.  I've long wanted them to have one.  I'll have to go check it out.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2022 at 5:34 PM, Shelby said:

I ordered some of that hot sauce, too.  Not the verde but the other one.  I hope it's realllllly hot to satisfy Ronnie's wants.  Most aren't hot enough for him.

Noticed this past week they have NewOrleansZapps hotter-n-hot potato chips but way too hot for me. Nice boxes this week but they forgot the hot sauce, 🙄, and sent almond extract, not ordered. Credited very quickly. I have two back-ups in the pantry including a YellowBird DH loves. 

I'll gift my neighbor the almond and will get something back. She bakes and makes all sorts of chocolate items.

Probably over-ordered the vegetables but we always seem to go through it. Crisper drawer is divided 1/3rd, 2/3rds. On telescopic hinges and comes out easily to the counter to clean. When need-to-use produce barely fills the 1/3rd section, I welcome the next order. 

Every 3-4 orders I get a cold pack. New item is merguez, just lamb and spices. Carton of eggs under the chorizo. Cheeses are pretty pedestrian but nice to have. The VermontCreamery butter and goat cheeses are good but I still have that from a month ago. If the merguez is good I'll stock up and get a couple pasture raised chickens for a mixed grill gathering for the up-coming 3 day weekend. 

The cold pack was just over 30$, maybe 32. Light pantry with a few snacks. 25$-ish rounding up. No charge for the almond extract. Vegetables was about 60$ rounding up. 90% basic staples I like to have on hand. Ataulfo mangoes and watermelon are just seasonal fruits I like to have. 

Always a few items are generous like an extra big onion, and extra sweet potato because one was small. Two nice knobs of ginger close to half a pound. 89cents for both. A double fisted pile of golden beet greens loose, as well as the ones attached. 

I do find it odd that they post on my invoice my savings. 55$. I would call that more like 40$. Chips, crackers, pork rinds, chocolates, or any snacks I don't consider necessary staples. 

Like a co-workers wife that retired early a few years ago and has been shopping more than usual. Three twenty dollar scarves were 1/2 off. She claims she saved 30$. He claims no, you spent 30$. They really did not need three more scarves. Socks are necessary, not scarves. 

Tube tomato paste is a staple, as well as tinned tomatoes. I don't stock many canned goods but at 1.29 nice to have for chili and such. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 4.13.43 PM.jpeg

• Like 2

I do like that they often leave the celery top leaves on. So much flavor. We love celery. I soak, sprout, and plant the core ends. 

Most farmers cut short and leave the tops in their fields. 

IMG_3011.jpeg

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

I do like that they often leave the celery top leaves on. So much flavor. We love celery.

Agree 100% — celery leaves are wonderful, and have a rather different flavor than the stalks.

My partner hates cilantro, and I've sometimes used celery leaves instead; they seem to fit in the same places.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dtremit said:

Agree 100% — celery leaves are wonderful, and have a rather different flavor than the stalks.

My partner hates cilantro, and I've sometimes used celery leaves instead; they seem to fit in the same places.

You might try growing a pot of lovage. 

• Like 3

Dry brining ribs to smoke tomorrow. Potato salad with lots of celery, the leaves, and a good pinch of celery seed. Excellent in tuna/chicken salads...any salad. 

The sprouted root ends I grow make a massive head of pencil thin stalks with lots of leaves I use all summer/fall up until the holidays. On the deck, in a pot outside the kitchen door.  

CELERY PLANTS 2021.png

• Like 6

I didn't take a picture, but our latest delivery box was from a specialty cousin of these services — Umamicart. I'd been thinking of placing an order from some time and was motivated by a discount. 

Ended up getting a mix of produce (thai chiles and basil, bok choy, gai lan, curry leaves, and lemongrass), some fresh noodles, frozen buns, and a bunch of pantry staples (laoganma black bean, nam prik, pickled mustard, samba, ginkgo nuts, one of the fancy Omsom kits, and some rice and tapioca flours). Decided to limit my frozen order and avoid raw meat on the first order just so I could test their shipping (which was great).

Pricing on some things is a bit higher than local stores, but not that much, and the produce quality was excellent. Definitely the freshest Thai chiles I've gotten in a while.

Packaging was similar to Misfits with the thick insulation lining the box and frozen stuff in insulated bags within. Anything glass was super well wrapped; I might even dare to order fish sauce from them. Shipping was FedEx from Long Island City and *fast* — I ordered at 1PM on the 9th, it was out the door by 5PM, and arrived at 1PM the next day.

Definitely would order again, though I also want to try the amusingly named SayWeee! for comparison. YamiBuy is another option, but they only do nonperishable stuff.

Edited by dtremit (log)
  • Like 3

thumbnail_IMG_2366.jpg.69c1d34e3b51d333dbdf882c75dece13.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2367.jpg.5126142661cc704c041c3af4e6cf974c.jpg

I don't normally buy iced coffee but this just sounded good.  4 cans for 3.79.  These were good.  Exactly what I wanted after working in the hot garden.  Tried to get some more for this week but they weren't available.  Will have to try to find them elsewhere.

• Like 4

On 5/14/2022 at 5:07 PM, dtremit said:

I didn't take a picture, but our latest delivery box was from a specialty cousin of these services — Umamicart. I'd been thinking of placing an order from some time and was motivated by a discount.

I like what I saw from Umamicart when I came across them last year. They don't carry a few of my pantry staples I get from HMart. During the first lock-down I had to settle for a few replacement items that really screw with a few recipes so I was not interested in settling for more replacements. Nice to hear about such good produce. 

14 hours ago, Shelby said:

Tried to get some more for this week but they weren't available.  Will have to try to find them elsewhere.

That happens all the time. Then finding an item elsewhere at double the price, 😂

If you like Merquez, this brand is excellent. I started it on the stovetop with onion, garlic, bit of water and white wine, covered. Finished in the oven low and slow to roast. --while I finished my sauce in the stovetop pan.

Just put three packages in my cart and another from the same maker. And lamb chops--new items.

Screen Shot 2022-05-21 at 7.47.56 AM.png

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

That happens all the time. Then finding an item elsewhere at double the price, 😂

Exactly.  I quickly looked on Amazon and they are $58.00 for 12 of them--$4.83 a piece!  I got 4 of them on Misfits for a total of $3.79.

• Sad 2

25 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

I like what I saw from Umamicart when I came across them last year. They don't carry a few of my pantry staples I get from HMart. During the first lock-down I had to settle for a few replacement items that really screw with a few recipes so I was not interested in settling for more replacements. Nice to hear about such good produce. 

If you like Merquez, this brand is excellent. I started it on the stovetop with onion, garlic, bit of water and white wine, covered. Finished in the oven low and slow to roast. --while I finished my sauce in the stovetop pan.

Just put three packages in my cart and another from the same maker. And lamb chops--new items.

Screen Shot 2022-05-21 at 7.47.56 AM.png

My shopping window opens tomorrow so I'll look for the sausages.  I think we'd like them.  I got some lamb chops from them yesterday.  I'm saving them for Mem. Day weekend.  Ronnie loves lamb...I'm kind of iffy at times.  We will see if I like this lol.

We are prepping for a Memorial Day mixed grill. The other sausage is chipolata. (Pork, Onions, White Wine, Salt, Herbs de Provence (Basil, Thyme, Fennel, Lavender), Black Pepper, Spices (Nutmeg, Coriander, Caraway, Allspice). Encased in Natural Lamb Casing.)

Sounds good. Really scored on menu items and appetizers. More 3LittlePigs offerings like spicy cornichons, and petit toasts for a buck fifty. Who knew DrBronners makes chocolate bars, 🤪. Their packaging looks just like the soaps. 

• Like 1

I should add that I usually just break off two sausage links while still frozen, then re-pack the other four and back into the freezer. Not sure why I had doubts about the quality. I expected lots of shrinkage and had dinner, lunches and two links for a NewOrleans type of dirty rice-n-beans planned. Instead they swelled like an RG bean. 

I like the mushrooms. As crispy as a good potato chip or crouton. Finally opened the artichokes. Tiny and very tender. No hard chewy bits like some jars. Not oily. Needs some fresh seasonings like lemon and herbs but I prefer to do that anyway. And/or a bit of broil roasting. Miso glaze?.

8+ brunch guests I like to set out piles of different greens, dressing choices, and add-ins salad bar style. A chocolate tasting bar with broken up and into small bowls with the wrappers under each bowl. Not a dessert making person. I do like to make mini ice cream sandwiches. A good do-ahead. Misfits has mini wafer cookies--blonde and chocolate. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-21 at 10.39.53 AM.png

• Like 1

I had to look up cane vinegar.... A type of vinegar, common in Asian food preparation, which is made from sugarcane that has been crushed, fermented and cooked into a syrup substance before being distilled into vinegar.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Annie_H said:

D'Artagnan has Merguez on special now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Annie_H said:

I know what you mean — I am very particular about certain things, especially condiments. (The Sriraja Panich shortage a few years back was painful — I haven't even found another Thai brand I truly like.)

I feel like SayWeee! and YamiBuy have slightly better selection of more traditional pantry items — whereas Umamicart's selection leans a *little* more towards more trendy brands like Omsom and Fly By Jing. You might be better off with one of the other two for your particular staples.

Edited by dtremit (log)
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, dtremit said:

I feel like SayWeee! and YamiBuy have slightly better selection of more traditional pantry items

I have not looked yet, but will. We have an International market the size of a Costco with a exterior surround like a Mexico City market that went bankrupt in 2016. I heard it is back up with help from the community. The owner is very committed to the local politics and loved., So good to hear he has bounced back.(it is a bit of a road trip but worth it) Another in Corona Queens that is on my 'house guest' food tour. A small Vietnamese restaurant with an excellent market in the same small parking lot, so, easy parking. Have lunch and shop for a dinner meal at home. A small family Italian market with a true butcher but started to 'salt lick' their sausages. Changed the recipe?. Three tries, too salty. 

I ferment a half gallon of hot sauce every early Fall. Not spicy enough a few years in a row so we go through it quickly. (I prefer it for flavor). But home fermented is gone by the holidays if not spicy enough. One thing about commercial hot sauces, I can easily test with a squirt on my finger for heat level. But some of these odd gluten-free amino this and that are recipe disruptive. I keep a couple sharpies and a paint marker to skull and cross bone certain odd condiment labels. I should toss them but might need them for certain friends/family members.

3 hours ago, lindag said:

D'Artagnan has Merguez on special now.

Have purchased D'Artagnan for years. Even my holiday turkey. I researched what I purchased/posted, FabriqueDelices. So much better than any I've had. So much better spiced than any higher end brands. D'Artagnan is too light on spice. I don't like to add later. Constantly adjusting. 

Not being combative. Just sharing good affordable produce and pantry/proteins at quality/prices less than market price. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Annie_H said:

I have not looked yet, but will. We have an International market the size of a Costco with a exterior surround like a Mexico City market that went bankrupt in 2016. I heard it is back up with help from the community. The owner is very committed to the local politics and loved., So good to hear he has bounced back.(it is a bit of a road trip but worth it) Another in Corona Queens that is on my 'house guest' food tour. A small Vietnamese restaurant with an excellent market in the same small parking lot, so, easy parking. Have lunch and shop for a dinner meal at home. A small family Italian market with a true butcher but started to 'salt lick' their sausages. Changed the recipe?. Three tries, too salty. 

Definitely jealous of all that you can get in and near NYC — I have heard legends about some of the markets! Do you mind me asking the name of that first place? It sounds like it might be worth a stop if we're passing through the area.

That being said, we are still better off here in Boston than many many other places — and have way more options than we had ten or twenty years ago. There is not too much I can't find in terms of essential ingredients for most any cuisine I'm trying to make. 

On the flip side, the delivery services keep me from spending the entire afternoon browsing the aisles — the last time I went to the local Chinese market it took me about 90 minutes to get through the store!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Nor did they have anything but Tommy Adkins mangos.

The mango of disappointment!

I suspect we're hitting the end of mango season from some country or other right now. It's generally been a good year for them, though. 

Apparently mango imports from India are back for the first time since 2019. I always have wanted to find a case at a local Indian market but never get the timing right.

Edited by dtremit (log)
  • Thanks 1

TommyAdkins popular with growers due to their long storage? They take forever to ripen and so stringy. I have two ataulfo coming Wednesday.

A shame they didn't have merguez.

On 5/21/2022 at 10:21 PM, dtremit said:

Do you mind me asking the name of that first place? It sounds like it might be worth a stop if we're passing through the area.

Easy yelp search but not the same looking at pics. Not sure I will bother going out of my way. Appears to have been cleaned up and acquired by a developer and a grocery chain. They only have a few other markets in Florida but no longer has the tented permanent market vendors. 98cent a pound tomatillos right now but not worth the time and gas. (Baldor has ten pounds for 35$). Would love to smoke some tomatillos for salsa this weekend.

HMart is an easy trip. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 8.54.58 AM.png

Regalis is insanely impressive. Soft shells, fiddleheads, (appeared this morning but sold out fast). If I did not have the weekend planned I would have jumped this morning. Many mushroom varieties. Need to open those e-mails asap. 

• Like 1