• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Imperfect, Misfit, Etc. (The Food Delivery Services)

Chris Hennes

I use Edna Lewis corn muffin recipe.(no sugar). NYTimes has a pay-wall but I see it all over the web. I've adapted it to fit a

favorite cast iron lid that cracked last year--thermal shock. The lid to a years old lodge dutch oven. Bummer. 

I used to run cornmeal through a hand crank grain mill before I came across Bob's corn flour. 

I use a bit of add-ins like ground oats, seeds and nuts---flax, sesame, sunflower, pepitas, hemp seed, etc. (spice grinder)

I make 'kits'. I just need to add an egg and enough water for the best consistency for waffles, corn cakes, mini muffins I make to fill my

parents freezer...

I use goat milk powder being easily digested. The 'kits' I keep in the freezer. 

Rhubarb is coming up so tis the season. I'll be making one every weekend through the summer. Any fruit or a mix. Even eggs, prosciutto, chives, cheese. 

But you need to be a cornbread lover. 😜

The texture is 'cake' but not sweet. I do add a bit of coconut palm sugar and some organic brown sugar on top if we have house guests.  Really good topped with fresh cherries. Waffles we add frozen blueberries to the bake. Fresh corn and chives to the pancakes. 

Love how the rhubarb holds its structure but if I took a butter knife to it I could spread it like a jam. 

All summer I use what comes out of the garden. 

Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 10.45.02 AM.png

• Like 3

Oh, here is my muffin testing a couple years ago. No need for the papers--- they stuck. Shows the 'kits'. The parchment twists in the top of the jars holds just enough palm sugar for the topping. I travel with a couple kitchen crates but the 'kits' minimize too many ingredients. I can make these quick a few times and extras go in my parents freezer. Good for mini egg bites as well. 

They are microwave only these days. 

mini muffins for dad.png

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Shelby said:

thumbnail_IMG_2211.jpg.a4260212c1611e0957e0507d88585f44.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2212.jpg.56f418d840041b1853a0c3fa0ea11dba.jpg

You showed those limes just to get a rise out of @JoNorvelleWalker, didn't you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Misfits is having a 15$ off promo until May 4th. COOKWME-WV5KVC

I will get 15$ as well but will match it and sent to WorldCentralKitchen at the Ukrainian-Poland border. A co-worker and friend has been there for a month now. He posted a pic with chefMarcMurphy so guessing he is with José Andrés WCK.

Misfits covers all zip-codes now so if in a food dessert like my parents, it is a nice treat. (we send a box to them once a month)

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Like 2

It is a-la-carte now. With prices listed so you can cross check your local market prices. Like I posted last week, the purple and orange sweet potatoes were still a good price for local organic per pound, but they sent two pounds of each. 

Originally, Fall 2019, the Misfit boxes were a 'mystery' but no longer the case. 

Also excellent customer service and no issues postponing or canceling any time. 

I rotate my selections every two weeks so I get a good variety. And use the more tender produce first like chard and beet greens. Persian cucumbers. 

A shame my sister had to cancel when her husband did some cross checking prices with WholeFoods. Failed to note that many are well over the price per pound. My last brussel sprouts was nearly two pounds. Four meals out of them and in an oven roast I am getting many meals from a mixed roast. 

Anywho, with Walden meat farm share and Misfits, we are set with meal selections. Now some random stops at some favorite old haunts like our Italian market and International groceries like HMart. No longer needing Baldor, iGourmet, or SuperMarketItaly on-line. 

RanchoGordo bean club and PalouseGrains and beans....every six months---Costco we can now hit just once a year. Pre-covid was every 4-5 months. 

My garden is a while away. Rhubarb is just ground level corms at this point. 

Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 1.43.00 PM.png

• Like 3

Another nice box. Exactly two weeks to the day from last box, April 15th. I had put away most of it like mushrooms, avocado, celery, cilantro, Persian cucumbers, and some pantry items...

Most impressed with the 50 ounces of purple sweet potatoes for 2.49 (75 cents a pound) and giant 1/2 pound lemons. (I moved the kitchen scale a few times and tested with unopened pantry items thinking my scale must be off)--nope. Usually lemons that large are light with thick piths. 

Thankfully the eggplant is smallish. 

Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 7.33.40 AM.png

• Like 2

Managed a pantry pic. Things we like anyway like AC vinegar, DarkBark chocolate, the best brand of pork rinds I'm such a sucker for....

We don't use much mayo but we love this avocado oil brand. Some EV olive oils to try, and a good decent California grown rice. Hot sauce. Olives.

IMG_2895.jpeg

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Like 6

I'll have to check those pork rinds out.  We love those.

Did a big order this week.  I wanted some more of the Italian sausages that I was talking about.  We loved them.  So, I got some more cold pack items to round out the order.

thumbnail_IMG_2275.jpg.a7ac8959608aa58c301fe19251e29ca9.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2274.jpg.2e65ce548e3bf5ade330f5d5ad97aa40.jpg

Veggies, as usual, were great.  So were the fruits.  Mushrooms...3 packs of sausages...lots of limes etc. etc.  and wine!  

thumbnail_IMG_2273.jpg.ab6b61e9cd4e4b151784b4cc11d12853.jpg

All of this delivered for $270 which I think is really good.  

The Asian salad mix is excellent.  I highly recommend.  I made it last night.

• Like 6

^we have different fulfillment centers. Would like to try the mushrooms but not on my shopping product list. I still have a full crisper drawer and enjoying it's variety. Just sent a gift box this morning to a friend in Brooklyn going through a tough break-up. Tates cookies, crackers, nuts, chocolates, 😜, but mostly vegetables, greens, root crops, avocados, and fruit. Misfits has baby watermelons, cantaloupes, and a couple varieties of mango now. All were so good this time last year. She has a Vitamix so it should be a nice soothing gift to blender not in the mood for cooking a meal. (A TJ's shopper for frozen meals). Loves her smoothies. And my quick pickles. 

A dream, (?), or did I just receive an e-mail for the next RG bean club. Time flies. I only cook a half pound at a time. RG beans have always been great gifts when I have an abundance. Not many dinner parties these days to gift. I send my MIL 5-6 pounds of rhubarb every year so maybe she will get a layer of RG beans. (she lives with my SIL now in Charleston SC, so will be enjoyed.)

BIL and his wife just closed on a new home, PNWest, so maybe a house warming gift of beans, 😂. And some homemade spice blends. Shipping costs suck but who cares when only once/twice a year. 

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Like 2

To all users of these food delivery services - in the interests of full disclosure and transparency, could the cost of your order be included - it's not helpful to display such bountiful harvests and hide the fact the order cost $500 (just kidding) but it's more important to note the cost of what you got so that others can see the value of your purchase.

p

• Like 3

16 hours ago, palo said:

To all users of these food delivery services - in the interests of full disclosure and transparency, could the cost of your order be included -

I see number costs all over these pages including my posts.

Also links to websites where you can look around without signing up. 

Every item in my pantry pic above is 75 cents to 3 dollar less than WholeFoods. Exact same brands. So that averages about 25$ less than I would pay at the grocery in person for the same 9 items. 

My April 17th order was 117$ total including shipping I rounded up. (and posted cost). I had put away about 40$ of my cold pack. 

When ordering I often cross check prices. 

I take pics of my local Walden meat share and Misfits so I can just look at photo files and plan meals without digging in the freezer or crisper drawer. 

Wines average about 45$ for three bottles. 95$ for six. No 3BuckChucks. I still have a couple cases from my local AstorWines so I have no need for any now. I would add a 5Buck wine for cooking and a weeknight glass if they had such a thing. 

New item this week is something I use and am running low. 2 dollars less than I pay locally. I order what I need and will use every two weeks. And a few pantry treats. Can't get more transparent than that. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 7.07.46 AM.png

NorthEast is about 36Hours now of steady soggy rain. And a bit chilly. We canceled our weekend road trip. A good thing. 

BC, (before covid), we would put off that dismal shopping trip---Costco, HMart, WholeFoods, (Fairway before Bankrupt) etc...usually in a piggy-back trip with a car service that needs a reservation for a Saturday free loaner car. 4-5 hour shopping trip every 5-6 months. Ikea and ChefSupply sometimes. Shit trip after a long work week. Walden Local meat share we keep postponing having some meals in the freezer. Vegetable heavy household. 

Shopping on-line today and enjoying the Kentucky Derby. Such a pleasure and so thankful it exists. Started my Misfits and have 24hours to add/subtract for next Thursday delivery. 

Re-visited WildFork I never used last holiday. Nice a-la-carte selections but out of lamb rack and other selections might be tempting. They have RedHeritage Chickens worth a look. 

The last of my salmon from BristolBay is in my smoker now. I've ordered twice a year since 2016. Small cryo-vacked portions, deep frozen so just ordered again. 25-30 small 5-6 oz portions. Salmon for pasta, cakes, steamed, sushi. Once a week is a good weekly meal and thaws quick. Sushi grade. 

I'm back to pre-covid ordering. Walden Local, Misfits, and BristolBay.--online. My local Italian butcher, HMart, Costco, I prefer to shop in person.

IGourmet, SuperMarketItaly, Eataly, Baldor restaurant supply, all fine during lockdown but no longer needed. Excellent for those in a deprived food desert. 

Keeping it simple. 10pounds of Salmon, 4 pounds of wild gulf shrimp ordered, --Cold Spring, early summer, easy meals. 

• Like 1

thumbnail_IMG_2331.jpg.c7c24acf5124b67ffae8078da68e6536.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2332.jpg.23945d34cbfba53bea528ccf4a7a2579.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2333.jpg.9c8b5d83d2e1aff83995113e64fac014.jpg

I'm not going to price my pics every time just because it's a PITA to look it up lol.  This order I got on Friday was $132.44.  Most expensive item was the pecans--needed them for my Derby Pie--at $9.75 which is right around the grocery store price 'cause I looked on Thursday when I was there.  I can also tell you that I spent $100 at Dillon's and came home with far less lol.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

thumbnail_IMG_2332.jpg.23945d34cbfba53bea528ccf4a7a2579.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2333.jpg.9c8b5d83d2e1aff83995113e64fac014.jpg

I'm not going to price my pics every time just because it's a PITA to look it up lol.  This order I got on Friday was $132.44.  Most expensive item was the pecans--needed them for my Derby Pie--at $9.75 which is right around the grocery store price 'cause I looked on Thursday when I was there.  I can also tell you that I spent $100 at Dillon's and came home with far less lol.

No limes?

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

12 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

No limes?

In the first picture, top center right:

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

4 minutes ago, Smithy said:

In the first picture, top center right:

Oh, thanks!  I was worried for a moment.

• Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I must say, the produce boxes from Misfits look so good that I'm tempted to sign up. I think I'd rather support our local farmers' markets and independent grocers, however, when we're in town to take advantage of them.

Edited by Smithy
added "and independent grocers" (log)
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I must say, the produce boxes from Misfits look so good that I'm tempted to sign up. I think I'd rather support our local farmers' markets and independent grocers, however, when we're in town to take advantage of them.

We've ended up settling into a rhythm where we use Misfits / Imperfect to "fill in" during times of the year when local pickings are pretty slim. Despite them billing themselves as "subscriptions," it's easy to put either of them on hold. I particularly like that Misfits won't fill your cart automatically anymore; if you do nothing, nothing ships.

(I've postponed Imperfect enough times lately that they just sent me a "50% off your next two boxes" offer. Max discount $25, but a $60 box for $35 is still a pretty good deal.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dtremit said:

We've ended up settling into a rhythm where we use Misfits / Imperfect to "fill in" during times of the year when local pickings are pretty slim. Despite them billing themselves as "subscriptions," it's easy to put either of them on hold. I particularly like that Misfits won't fill your cart automatically anymore; if you do nothing, nothing ships.

That is about how we see it. I might let Misfits go for 4-5 weeks in the summer, but local grown/farm markets/CSA's have exactly what I grow in my garden. Bad year for one crop is the same in our similar climates. 

NYC has had FreshDirect for 20+years. A fulfillment center in the Bronx, (maybe more), but the point is no overhead keeping traditional groceries stocked. And expensive real estate. Misfits is on my doorstep well ahead of the back dock of a grocery. Cutting out all that handling, packaging and travel. 90% comes un-wrapped, no plastic. (depending on choices). 

Good system now with Misfits. No order, no sent box. Next week, early Spring lacking crops and winter snow packed months?. --I would have a seizure without my fresh slaws, salads, pickles, kimchi, kombucha, fermented kraut. All winter. 

Getting three varieties of mango and a baby watermelon this week. A new hot sauce to try. The seasonal rotation is kinda perfect. 

WINTER PICKLES:SALADS.png

• Like 3