• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Imperfect, Misfit, Etc. (The Food Delivery Services)

Chris Hennes

7 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

Wild Fork opened a brick and mortar store 5 minutes from my office, looking forward to getting over there for some fish.

They opened a store in my area, too.  I don't have the freezer space (nor appetite 🙃) to justify a big delivery order but I'd like to check out their stuff.  

• Like 1

I paid a visit to the Wild Fork store this afternoon.  I was impressed at the variety and thought the prices seemed generally OK. They had chicken hearts but no livers.  There are rabbits on the website but none in the store.  Otherwise, all kinds of stuff.  Ground bison, elk, venison, wild boar, yak, ostrich, etc.  Beef sweetbreads and good looking marrow bones. Good selection of veal, including veal osso buco. The only goat was unfortunately the usual bone-in chunks.   I liked the way the pieces of fish are individually wrapped so I don't have to thaw a whole package to get one piece.  I was intrigued by this bagged ground beef frozen in individual bits so you can just take out what you need.  I was looking at a Marcella Hazan recipe for chicken liver pasta sauce that calls for 1/4 lb ground beef.  Of course, I can go buy a small amount at Whole Foods when I get the livers but since I'm often barbering recipes down to one or two servings, I can imagine this product being handy.  Unfortunately, they didn't have ground pork packed the same way.   

I bought salmon and grouper filets, hot Italian sausage, chorizo, a bag of frozen, diced tomatillos that I thought might be handy and some frozen spinach just because I needed some. 

I'll have to comb through posts here to see what people like. 

• Like 5

That ground beef packaging looks unique - I've never seen/heard of that - I wonder if after opening then resealing if they have a tendency to re-freeze into a clump

p

• Like 2

13 hours ago, palo said:

That ground beef packaging looks unique - I've never seen/heard of that - I wonder if after opening then resealing if they have a tendency to re-freeze into a clump

p

I have some of this in my freezer now, and opening/resealing does not change the product when the bag goes back into the freezer. Now I will add that I don’t thaw the entire bag and re-freeze what I don’t use-I take out what I need and immediately put the rest back in the freezer. 

• Like 2

On 3/28/2022 at 12:54 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Steamed steak??

My mother would hover for years if pop cooked steak, (usually cheap London broil), burgers, salmon, etc. The slightest sizzle she would add a cup of water and put a lid on it. I suppose if pop knew what a braise was he might have called it that. 😜. He did have a gas grill for a while to keep the mess out of the kitchen but that is long gone with eye, hearing, and mobility issues. 

Walking through any suburban large grocery and it is clear most of the population does not cook. 80% of the stores are frozen, processed, canned. 

My small Italian market is single family owned and seems to be an old 70's A&P that has just a small back left 6-8 bay glass door frozen section. No BigGrocery bullies apparent like Keebler, etc (or whoever they are)

My mother only has one cookbook, TheJoyOfCooking. And a local ChesapeakeBay seafood vintage part one and two. About 30pages each. She cared more about a clean kitchen so she steamed, boiled, simmered. Sealed coil burners for years. Recently gas but two important left burners are not working. I'm guessing they are clogged with soaps or broken from excessive scrubbing/'cleaning'.

I have a few hundred cookbooks without much effort---mostly gifted. 

• Thanks 2

On 3/28/2022 at 6:33 PM, blue_dolphin said:

I paid a visit to the Wild Fork store this afternoon.

Very curious about what you think. WildFork was on my short list last holiday season but we wanted fresh oysters and lobster. Spent too much time trying to find a 'one-stop' shopping or delivery. 

I like WildForks small packaging like the mixed seafood offerings. WildFork seafood mix

For a Mediterranean salad or a chowder. 

On 3/29/2022 at 2:55 PM, dtremit said:

That would be great for something like mapo tofu where you only need ~4oz of ground beef.

I put a mince of beef or pork into a quart freezer zip-lock, then use my bench scraper edge to press sections into 'ravioli' sized sections so they are easily broken off into needed sizes. Similar with pesto or mixed herbs. One step rather than the ice cube tray two step. 

• Like 3

Nice Misfits but came a day early, 🙄....I was not prepared but made do. I like to slice off a 1/4 inch of greens and give a good drink before putting away. Asparagus needs to sit in a glass of water as well as cilantro. Lemons!, nice beet greens. Good cold pack. But missing a half dozen pantry items. EVOlive oil, crackers, mustard, avocado oil mayo we love. Tates cookies and chocolate I don't need. Mushrooms I did not order, 🙄.

Rare I have so much missing. About 23$ of missing product. A shame to need a re-order so soon. 

Garafolo is an excellent pasta at a good price---1.99. Bronze die. 

ThreeLittlePigs I'm very happy they have now. Prosciutto for 2.50$. I use it more than bacon now. 

Screen Shot 2022-04-01 at 9.58.16 AM.png

• Like 2

thumbnail_IMG_2171.jpg.0bd205326c909d1783a213ede1f15e98.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2173.jpg.0ca384d74f02ee4b65597c500575bbff.jpg

Anyone know what kind of mushrooms these are?  Misfits has a mystery mushroom box--and they don't label what they are even when you get them.

thumbnail_IMG_2172.jpg.27f67b27f60b27996ca3bd4c749813ca.jpg

I googled furry white mushrooms and mushrooms that feel like terry cloth to no avail.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Shelby said:

thumbnail_IMG_2171.jpg.0bd205326c909d1783a213ede1f15e98.jpg

Anyone know what kind of mushrooms these are?  Misfits has a mystery mushroom box--and they don't label what they are even when you get them.

thumbnail_IMG_2172.jpg.27f67b27f60b27996ca3bd4c749813ca.jpg

I googled furry white mushrooms and mushrooms that feel like terry cloth to no avail.

Looks like Lions Mane shroom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm hoping you have used those  Lion's Mane by now.  They are very delicate,  both in terms of flavor, and shelf life.   I think they are good,  and my wife loves them!

• Thanks 1

IMG_2187.thumb.jpg.071a02b19f982c5fded4150163520f0d.jpg

I loved the Lion's head mushrooms.  Got some more.  I did them very simply--dry fried for a bit then added a tiny amount of olive oil, salt and pepper. 

The package under the cucumber had dog treats--they were in the penny section.  Dogs loved 'em.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Shelby said:

IMG_2187.thumb.jpg.071a02b19f982c5fded4150163520f0d.jpg

I loved the Lion's head mushrooms.  Got some more.  I did them very simply--dry fried for a bit then added a tiny amount of olive oil, salt and pepper. 

The package under the cucumber had dog treats--they were in the penny section.  Dogs loved 'em.

LOL = lots of limes.

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Or at least wondering why there are NO kitty treats.  🙂

I see dog treats. I just ordered for the weekend and kitty and dog treats were in the penny shop. 

We must have different distribution centers. No lion's mane in my 'store'. 

Interesting CNBC profile/interview. Misfits start-up

• Like 3

I've been loving the watermelon radishes the past couple months. With the Persian cucumbers and golden beets an hour or so light pickled. Roasted red beets with a head of garlic, feta, a fruit like pear or grapefruit segments. Best is when they have baby watermelons hopefully soon. If they come from a good harvest, weather-wise, they are so good. 

My issue, and have let them know many times, is removing the massive tops from the celery. I grow par-cell, a celery/parsley plant that is a flat leafed parsley-like plant but flavor is more like celery. The CBS SundayMorning feature shows a farmer's crew hacking off the tops and leaving them in the field. Back in fall 2019, my boxes came with big celery tops. Such a shame to cut that off. So much flavor. I suppose farmers are so programed to cut that off to fit in the stupid baggie for the grocery shelf. So much food waste. 

Screen Shot 2022-04-14 at 12.17.28 PM.png

• Like 1

Food prices are 20-30 % higher lately?. I needed a few staples like Bob'sRedMill corn flour and polenta, etc. Greens and root crops were dismal. (local healthFoodStore). 

My sister is still using Misfits but just maybe once a month for greens and a few vegetables she likes. Some pantry items. 50bucks. Her husband is so against it having cross checked prices. What he misses is the weight prices. No way can you get sweet potatoes for 80 cents a pound anywhere---or purple sweet potatoes for 1.25 a pound. 

To be fare, he came to the US for medical school, worked hard, and now spends weeks in the ICU night shift. One patient leaves, 20 pass away. 

He so enjoys their shopping trips together to WholeFoods and TJ's. And his obsession with American ice cream. 😜

Good grief this is cheap. He cross checks prices as if Misfits is one pound. My last Brussel sprout Misfits was nearly two pounds---half the bag was big ones for a slaw and baby ones for roasting.(Like they read my mind). I pick in a grocery both big and small. 

I've not weighed any Misfits in a long time but this is worthy. They always seem to toss in extra items or pad it heavy. 

Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 1.09.35 PM.jpeg

Friday morning haul for the weekend....more snacks than usual and cold pack not pictured had a nice 4 lb chicken, a pound of prosciutto, pastrami, eggs and cheese. 120 bucks includes shipping. 

Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 12.30.25 PM.png

• Like 1

17 hours ago, palo said:

@Annie_H - have you tried Maseca Corn Flour from Amazon?

In NY we can get Maseca in just about every corner store (bodega) that sells lottery tickets. I use it for tamales. The Bob's is very finely ground and organic. Much different flavor. I use so much of it this time of year for a savory rhubarb cake that I used amazon during lockdown for a case of six.