• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Imperfect, Misfit, Etc. (The Food Delivery Services)

Chris Hennes

I slacked on taking quick pics of my deliveries the past couple of months. It is so helpful planning a meal or two. Last Friday, Misfits, two days late, 🙄, but still fresh, and ice semi-solid....

I can look at my photo file at work and see what should be used and plan. Especially the meat share. Digging through the crisper drawer and freezer....not fun. 

Last night, Sunday, I rolled and braised a bavette. With yellow carrots and potatoes. Onions. Fennel slaw/salad. I can prep in my head on the way home...weekdays. Plan lunches. 

Weekends I can plan ahead and thaw. 

What does not work in NYC I realized via some friends....random deliveries and delays. Total lock-down and sitting home fine. (ish)

I still have a few friends getting WaldonLocal meat shares. If not home that day they have neighbors to 'heads up' the delivery. Pull the box inside their apt.

10 years in Greenpoint, then 20 years in Williamsburg, bklyn. 

We had a neighbor kleptomaniac. (I wish he had stolen the rotten Idaho potatoes my brother sent)...we were out of town and they froze in transit. If we unloaded the truck from the elevator, then back down for another load, something would be missing upstairs. Once we did not knock and he forgot to lock his door. Hello, our plants, just purchased, were right inside his door. Jerk. 

When we moved out, a stainless small restaurant trolley never made it to our new home. It had two boxes of French bistro glasses. Did not notice until after a few months of unpacking. Jerk. 

Anywho, I'll plank some garden zucchini, red pepper, hatch, leeks, toss in olive oil....stove-top grill. Hint by looking at what is in my crisper pic...and maybe a slice of fennel.

MISFITS 9-8-21 2.png

• Like 2

On 9/5/2021 at 2:25 PM, gfweb said:

We used instacart during the height of pandemic fear (as opposed to the actual disease peak). I supposed if I was housebound instacart would be adequate, but otherwise no. The shoppers sub without asking or just plain misidentified  products.  (Crescent rolls are not biscuits).

And they have a surcharge if the product is heavy. Like a big bottle of soda. 

I’ve used Instacart for years. Once I get an alert the my shopper has started I am firm with the chat feature and clear about replacements I am willing to accept. I also tip over 20%. 

The heavy bag fee sucks but that is a big reason that motivates me to use them. Obviously I am fairly lazy! 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Annie_H said:

I slacked on taking quick pics of my deliveries the past couple of months. It is so helpful planning a meal or two. Last Friday, Misfits, two days late, 🙄, but still fresh, and ice semi-solid....

I can look at my photo file at work and see what should be used and plan. Especially the meat share. Digging through the crisper drawer and freezer....not fun. 

Last night, Sunday, I rolled and braised a bavette. With yellow carrots and potatoes. Onions. Fennel slaw/salad. I can prep in my head on the way home...weekdays. Plan lunches. 

Weekends I can plan ahead and thaw. 

What does not work in NYC I realized via some friends....random deliveries and delays. Total lock-down and sitting home fine. (ish)

I still have a few friends getting WaldonLocal meat shares. If not home that day they have neighbors to 'heads up' the delivery. Pull the box inside their apt.

10 years in Greenpoint, then 20 years in Williamsburg, bklyn. 

We had a neighbor kleptomaniac. (I wish he had stolen the rotten Idaho potatoes my brother sent)...we were out of town and they froze in transit. If we unloaded the truck from the elevator, then back down for another load, something would be missing upstairs. Once we did not knock and he forgot to lock his door. Hello, our plants, just purchased, were right inside his door. Jerk. 

When we moved out, a stainless small restaurant trolley never made it to our new home. It had two boxes of French bistro glasses. Did not notice until after a few months of unpacking. Jerk. 

Anywho, I'll plank some garden zucchini, red pepper, hatch, leeks, toss in olive oil....stove-top grill. Hint by looking at what is in my crisper pic...and maybe a slice of fennel.

MISFITS 9-8-21 2.png

Your friend needs a a broken-off toothpick into his door key hole.

Weekly.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Trouble in paradise?

"This Popular Grocery Giant Is On a Downward Spiral and Losing Customers"

Days may be numbered for a grocery delivery service that captured the hearts of millions of shoppers with the idea of eliminating food waste.

According to Business Insider, Imperfect Foods is showing signs of a breakdown. After a round of mass layoffs this year, as well as several changes in leadership which precipitated a shift in the company ethos, several recently departed employees told the publication that the company seems to have lost its way.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

When I picked delivery from Misfits back up after not taking them during the summer, when fresh veggies were plentiful, I was very pleased to find they're carrying Niman Ranch pork chops. Boneless loin chops, about an inch and a half thick. I bought two packages the first order, three this order. Have also ordered, but not cooked, some frozen fish (cod and mahi-mahi) and Gulf shrimp.

Only thing I've not been happy with was blackberries and raspberries. They lasted maybe a day in the fridge.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

52 minutes ago, kayb said:

When I picked delivery from Misfits back up after not taking them during the summer, when fresh veggies were plentiful, I was very pleased to find they're carrying Niman Ranch pork chops. Boneless loin chops, about an inch and a half thick. I bought two packages the first order, three this order. Have also ordered, but not cooked, some frozen fish (cod and mahi-mahi) and Gulf shrimp.

Only thing I've not been happy with was blackberries and raspberries. They lasted maybe a day in the fridge.

My mom has been ordering the meats too and loving it.  It's a LOT cheaper on Misfits than her local grocery store.  I hope Misfits never goes under.  We need them.

Edited to say that I'm looking forward to what you think about the shrimp.  I'm out and am going to order if you think they are decent--I've been waiting for the weather to cool down.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Great to hear they're carrying those, and that you've had good luck with them! Broadens the options a bit.

I have also sworn off most berries in delivery boxes -- I just don't think they can handle being jostled. Blueberries and strawberries seem to hold up OK, but nothing else.

• Like 1

I'm back in Misfits. I was once a month for a while. Only produce I don't grow myself. It is a-la-carte now. Prices visible. We can cross check local market prices. Always at least 30% less than WholeFoods organic. Good greens for a couple weeks of shredded salads. I've been sending a box once a month to my parents in their early 90's now. Mother gets a bit giddy opening the box with things they cannot get locally so it is a win-win gift for them. 

Very quick to respond if anything is less than fresh. The penny shop is cute. Things I would never purchase in store. But for a penny...

On 9/14/2021 at 7:23 AM, gfweb said:

Your friend needs a a broken-off toothpick into his door key hole.

Weekly.

LOL. Jerk. Thankfully we no longer live there. 

MISFIT PENNY SHOP-10-21.png

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Annie_H said:

I'm back in Misfits. I was once a month for a while. Only produce I don't grow myself. It is a-la-carte now. Prices visible. We can cross check local market prices. Always at least 30% less than WholeFoods organic. Good greens for a couple weeks of shredded salads. I've been sending a box once a month to my parents in their early 90's now. Mother gets a bit giddy opening the box with things they cannot get locally so it is a win-win gift for them. 

Very quick to respond if anything is less than fresh. The penny shop is cute. Things I would never purchase in store. But for a penny...

LOL. Jerk. Thankfully we no longer live there. 

MISFIT PENNY SHOP-10-21.png

I've never seen the Penny Shop 😳  OMG what have I been missing??????

• Like 1

Haha. I checked this morning and did not see a PennyShop. It is random I suppose. I'm deciding if I want to order for Mom and Pop this week. Or wait closer to my sisters visit with them end of month. She is a vegan food shopaholic. She is capable of spending hours the first couple days of a visit driving around for her diet. 

I did notice they have the bacon ends again at a good price. Great for using a small thick chunk diced fine for chowders and hearty soup garnish. 

The penny ginger/lemon/tumeric is good. Just a bit of maple syrup. I still am cutting it with plain seltzer. I just make fresh with some added grapefruit in ice cube trays so no need for anything purchased and expensive at regular price. The use-by date is just a couple weeks away so I'm guessing many stores won't take it. 

I just ordered from ButcherBox without doing much research. I have a good friend that liked it but switched to the local HudsonValley farm share we have now. 

The quality seems good. I could select what I want rather than a share that sends what they want depending on availability. 

They are offering a free turkey right now with a first order. Solves holiday issues if we visit my parents. I'll have a good bird rather than Moms usual Butterball. My parents need turkey for Thanksgiving as a tradition. I could go off script and any direction if home alone. 

Love a couple rotisserie ducks like we did one year. 

Nice to have the turkey option if need be. I selected a pork shoulder, bacon, boneless chicken thighs, cubed stew meat for chili. A free turkey snagged the deal. Cannot find a turkey local pasture raised frozen or a listed pre-order for fresh close to the holiday. Done deal, phew.  

I like turkey once a year. Co-workers, 8 out of ten, hate it. Every year the same scenario. So proud to diss it. Beef Wellington, rack of lamb...I plan to please my parents as always. 

Will be nice to have a good turkey in the freezer this year. No stress. If we visit my parents as planned,---Mom, in early-mid demetia, will not have an episode of holiday confusion and cooking. Adorable tiny thing and loves watching me cook for them. 

• Like 1

It isn't for everyone and may not fit your needs at all. They do have an extensive pantry now including many brands like Braggs sometimes and Bob'sRedMill though limited. Often pantry staples I would buy in a grocery. I've been ordering once a month and now probably twice a month heading into cooler temps. You can cruise the 'market' anytime and if nothing is in your cart, they do not ship. They only ship if your cart hits 30$. 

I always stock onions, celery, garlic, ginger, and greens, cabbage, etc. A couple avocados. Anything new like spaghetti squash they have now. Pomegranites. Always a new grain, seed, pasta. 

BC, before covid, DH did the weekly 10 item quick shop stop usually every Thursday night for the weekend as I was working longer hours. He did it without complaint but has admitted he hated it but it had to be done. AC vinegar and ChosenFoods brand avocado oil at Costco prices. We only shop every 3-4 months for a needed big stock-up. 

The pantry items count towards the 30$. Prices are listed so you can cross check---I use WholeFoods on-line. 

I think a first order discount is available. You could just take a look and never order. Not a monthly club fee ever. 

51 minutes ago, dtremit said:

For those of you who consistently have good experiences with Misfits ( @Annie_H, @kayb, @Shelby I think?) — what delivery service delivers their orders to you?

FedEx for both Imperfect and Misfits.

• Thanks 1

I may have jumped the gun on the shipping carrier complaint. Our Misfits box sat in a warehouse 5 miles from our house for twelve hours the day it was supposed to be delivered, and when it hadn't been sent out for delivery by 5:30 I thought for sure it was going to be delivered late. My previous experience with LaserShip has been pretty bad, so I assumed the worst. To my surprise, they loaded it on a truck at 6PM and it was here by 8, with all the meat still frozen solid. Significantly better experience than I've had from Imperfect recently.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2021 at 4:39 PM, dtremit said:

For those of you who consistently have good experiences with Misfits ( @Annie_H, @kayb, @Shelby I think?) — what delivery service delivers their orders to you?

Fed Ex for me, too. I haven't tried Imperfect. Only bad delivery I had was during the blizzard, and I can't really fault them for that.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

LaserShip is impossible to track. Says to expect a delay---then it is on my doorstep. Misfits has improved their game by allowing choices and good pantry staples. Not loving LaserShip but it seem to be improving. 

Just unpacked my first ButcherBox. Impressive. Well packed. Solid dry ice. All meat frozen solid. I like that I could choose exactly what I need. 17-18 pounds in cryovac thick small portions. +a free 12 pound turkey. Total stress relief on that one. I'm set for the holidays and beyond to maybe Feb/March. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've been terrible about taking pictures of my stuff, but I'm still ordering weekly and have been super happy with it all.  No mistakes have happened for a long time and most things are super fresh.  Both Misfits and Imperfect have different things that I like about each of them so I am still doing both.  Oddly they have synched up and now deliver on the same day--Fridays.

This was Misfits from Friday:

thumbnail_IMG_1475.jpg.df3d62098bfe115fb03cfe98a17ced3a.jpg

I finally got to shop at the Penny Store!!!!!  YEAST!!!  THAT YEAST UP THERE!!!  ONE PENNY!!!!  It expires in Feb of 22 so I'll use it now.

Imperfect

thumbnail_IMG_1476.jpg.af01d13c77abed6cdc558fb76eefc850.jpg

These were super fun.  I had never seen or had them before.  Sweet and tart.  I just ate them right out of the box.

thumbnail_IMG_1477.jpg.643e1602f29b26b2929eb5315481d648.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

52 minutes ago, Shelby said:

These were super fun.  I had never seen or had them before.  Sweet and tart.  I just ate them right out of the box.

thumbnail_IMG_1477.jpg.643e1602f29b26b2929eb5315481d648.jpg

I have one growing under a light in my office, between the mini/cherry tomato and the pot with basil and rosemary.

True story: about three weeks ago now, I said to my GF "I think I'm going to throw that out. It's barely grown in the last couple of months, and hasn't put out any fruit, and I can probably find a better use for the space."

Within 10 days it had doubled in size, and is fruiting profusely. I'm not a "talk to my plants" guy, let alone a "threaten my plants" guy like Crowley in Good Omens, but it is rather an odd coincidence.

• Haha 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning