• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Imperfect, Misfit, Etc. (The Food Delivery Services)

Chris Hennes

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Agreed. I think your warehouse sucks, as mine, other than that one week during the blizzard, has been in excellent shape. I'm sure their warehouses are 3PL setups -- I'd email 'em and tell them their middleman sucks. It would be doing them a favor.

I wrote a detailed email.

Somebody in Philly is dumping junk in the boxes. Both for Imperfect and Misfits.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Has anyone had a box from Imperfect Foods not delivered because it was deemed "unable to deliver--package damaged" by Fedex

I was supposed to get my box yesterday.  Got notified by Fedex and I immediately sent a message to Imperfect asking what the next steps were---refund or what.  Haven't gotten a response beyond the automated email that told me they got my message.  I realize it's the weekend, but Misfits is really good about answering right away.......   At first my charge said it was pending so I was thinking they were going to refund me, but now my credit card has been charged.

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Has anyone had a box from Imperfect Foods not delivered because it was deemed "unable to deliver--package damaged" by Fedex

No -- though it's interesting that your Imperfect boxes come via FedEx. In our area they're delivered by Imperfect's own drivers. Or at least they were at our old place — this week will be our first box from either service since we moved in April.

(I did have that happen to a Target box recently, though — in their case, it seemed like their systems were programmed to automatically refund anything with that status. So it must happen pretty often.)

Just now, dtremit said:

No -- though it's interesting that your Imperfect boxes come via FedEx. In our area they're delivered by Imperfect's own drivers. Or at least they were at our old place — this week will be our first box from either service since we moved in April.

(I did have that happen to a Target box recently, though — in their case, it seemed like their systems were programmed to automatically refund anything with that status. So it must happen pretty often.)

I'm so rural that I'm sure there are no Imperfect drivers.  So, yeah, always Fedex.  I prefer UPS but I have no control over that lol.

14 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I'm so rural that I'm sure there are no Imperfect drivers.  So, yeah, always Fedex.  I prefer UPS but I have no control over that lol.

Aww you just like the UPS shorts ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I messed up and didn't stagger my Misfits and Imperfect orders so I got two boxes in two days.  It's all good.  Won't go to waste around here.

thumbnail_IMG_0910.jpg.e83749ad7deab78f286b57cab7377a9f.jpg

The mushroom ravioli was pretty good for store bought.  The cookies there in the middle SO good.  Chocolate and sea salt.  Pop one in the microwave for 15 seconds.  Melty...salty...yum.  

thumbnail_IMG_0911.jpg.4bf19de6b2f20c9c7a6e8b5e562d8b46.jpg

They had cans of Ugly seltzer water.  Not too bad.   I think I got cherry.  Not a strong taste, but it also doesn't leave a horrid aftertaste like some of them do.  I've never had padron peppers.  They seem like my beloved shishito peppers after a quick google.  Anyone eaten these before

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

I've never had padron peppers.  They seem like my beloved shishito peppers after a quick google.  Anyone eaten these before

Of course! Very similar to the shishito.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

So.  This is weird.

I just got my box from Imperfect.  

The box was pretty beat up...the tape on top had come un-stuck from the box etc.

The box was a lot heavier than normal.

I opened it up and these were in the box laying half out of the bag:

thumbnail_IMG_0928.jpg.f44c9a1c247593edfdb0aeeb1efca050.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0927.jpg.ddfd7d8de0772cf5adcf40f3708d8d76.jpg

They weigh 5 lbs. a piece and they beat the crap out of some things in the box.

😳  How the heck did these end up in there....I'm going to be emailing them.  I'm sure someone is missing these parts......

Buns very smashed

thumbnail_IMG_0929.jpg.64f285fc21210a487dbf93acc03fbfbe.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0930.jpg.1ce40d482165238cbd1f661fb1ed9d44.jpg

Poor Mandarin oranges

thumbnail_IMG_0932.jpg.55b3becd801a4c7a6bcc18f4710038e9.jpg

But, amazingly everything else seems to be ok including a lemon tart!

thumbnail_IMG_0933.jpg.7fc7bc0b03b7413210674026cb642921.jpg

Anyone in the market for pump drives lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 3

23 hours ago, Shelby said:

Decided to sous vide the drives....I'm going with 2 years ...what temp should I do

Depends if you want the steel to fully render -- 2800F if you do, a little lower if you want a more toothsome texture.

• Haha 4

I got two really really nice emails from Imperfect apologizing all over the place about what happened.  They certainly do have excellent customer service.  Like us, they are very curious as to how those items got into my box but also assured me it would never happen again.  I got credited for the damaged items and for the item that didn't ship plus a little credit toward my next box.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Like us, they are very curious as to how those items got into my box but also assured me it would never happen again.

My theory is that multiple boxes were damaged and some delivery person shoved the bars that fell out of another box into your open box so they didn't have to deal with the paperwork for loose items.

Edited by dtremit (log)
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, dtremit said:

My theory is that multiple boxes were damaged and some delivery person shoved the bars that fell out of another box into your open box so they didn't have to deal with the paperwork for loose items.

Reminds me of 2 Christmases ago when a couple walking dog behind one of my buildings was curious as to the stacks of Amazon boxes. They were intact and ful of product. Or the new mail girl we defended (Federal offense) who could not finish her route and dumped the mail down the street drain. Delivery people are under pressure. So I am always thankful and somewhat amazed hen things who up as promised.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtremit said:

I never thought of this scenario!  Now I feel bad.  That's not Imperfect's fault.

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

I never thought of this scenario!  Now I feel bad.  That's not Imperfect's fault.

You're OK.  They're your point of contact for the order and it certainly wasn't right. They can go after their shipper or not, as they choose.  Probably not for that amount.  The intended recipient of the metal parts is likely complaining to their vendor as well!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Shelby I'll bet you a scrap metal place would give you a few Imperfect boxes worth of cash for those.

I think we are officially done with Misfits — ultimately because of their shipping. Our last box was delivered by LaserShip, who I've rarely had good luck with. It was a day late and looked like it had been turned upside down quite a few times.

Only one thing was completely ruined, but several things were damaged in transit — bruised fruit and whatnot. And the herbs were rotten by the time they arrived.

Misfits customer service is great, and they of course refunded the damaged items — but ultimately we have better options. Imperfect has better selection (including a couple of non-produce items that we've really grown to love), and I'm willing to order stuff from them that I wouldn't from Misfits because I'm more confident that they'll arrive intact. And the local vendor I mentioned upthread has actually been super reliable and cheaper than either of these two. 

Edited by dtremit (log)
  • Like 3

Apparently I spoke too soon; our Imperfect box this week was once again missing about a third of the items. Still suspect it's a second box staying on the truck (for us they deliver the orders themselves in Imperfect-branded trucks); both times this has happened we've had a lot of heavy items and only had one box dropped off.

I'm sure they'll take care of it, and I wasn't depending on anything for a particular meal, but it's annoying.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, dtremit said:

Apparently I spoke too soon; our Imperfect box this week was once again missing about a third of the items. Still suspect it's a second box staying on the truck (for us they deliver the orders themselves in Imperfect-branded trucks); both times this has happened we've had a lot of heavy items and only had one box dropped off.

I'm sure they'll take care of it, and I wasn't depending on anything for a particular meal, but it's annoying.

I can tolerate slightly imperfect veg, but imperfect service will kill them. I shouldn't have to argue refunds with every box.

And imperfection is different from uselessness. I can handle a gnarly pepper that is not spoiled.  I don't want stuff for which there is no sensible use.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

I can tolerate slightly imperfect veg, but imperfect service will kill them. I shouldn't have to argue refunds with every box.

And imperfection is different from uselessness. I can handle a gnarly pepper that is not spoiled.  I don't want stuff for which there is no sensible use.

I'm not sure what you mean by "uselessness" -- or at least it doesn't describe anything either service has sent us. We've had stuff damaged, but it was all stuff that I imagine was fine when they put it in the box.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, dtremit said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "uselessness" -- or at least it doesn't describe anything either service has sent us. We've had stuff damaged, but it was all stuff that I imagine was fine when they put it in the box.

Useless...limes or potatoes the size of golf balls...spoiled peppers...sprouted onions

• Sad 1