• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Imperfect, Misfit, Etc. (The Food Delivery Services)

Chris Hennes

I've tried neither imperfect nor misfit but I must say this morning's amazon produce delivery was perfect, including a dozen much needed limes.

• Like 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I've paused Imperfect with intent to kill it. As with @kayb I got a box with stuff I didn't order. I picked fingerling potatoes and they subbed golf ball sized white potatoes. WTF. The salmon, an admitted risk done as a test, was OK at best. It had the look of being frozen and thawed a few times and was pretty worthless tail sections which were half skin by weight. Fish cakes perhaps? Sausage from Niman Ranch was unworthy of the brand. Two GPB were in there with the micro lemons.

I get why these were imperfect and unsalable, but it was nowhere near $50 or so in value. $25 would be in the right neighborhood.

I think that , like the problems I had with misfits, we have a bad distribution center perhaps.

Garden season is coming. We already have abundant chard under a cold frame!

• Like 2

I've skipped a couple weeks in order to whittle down the veggies, but I'm back on this week.  Also, I'm SO excited.  Misfits has become available to my mom where she lives (a pretty remote area)!  She got her first box a couple days ago and was delighted.  This will help her SO much.

My Misfits

thumbnail_IMG_0736.jpg.cd9e7f420a7748c30bf57f6f047b91a9.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0737.jpg.adc2afd1d30c1571ff1082fe28009356.jpg

I've already pickled all of the radishes--addicted to those right now.  

thumbnail_IMG_0736.jpg.cd9e7f420a7748c30bf57f6f047b91a9.jpg

I have a cabbage coming from Imperfect too.  I have a craving for bierocks and I need to start another jar of sauerkraut because I'm almost out.  Those Mandarin oranges are the best ones I've ever tasted.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Cilantro is on the edge of bad.  Need to do something with it today. 

I saw a nice tip from Jacques.  He takes bunches of the stems, washed, dried, and wrapped in cling film, and freezes them.  He then uses them, still frozen, in stews and soups which are heading in that Mexican/southwest direction.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Just now, weinoo said:

I saw a nice tip from Jacques.  He takes bunches of the stems, washed, dried, and wrapped in cling film, and freezes them.  He then uses them, still frozen, in stews and soups which are heading in that Mexican/southwest direction.

Perfect.  Thank you!

• Like 1

You're quite welcome.

And don't know if it's the same exact fruit, but pixie tangerines this year are also amazingly sweet, if....hmmm...pixiesh. From Ojai, CA.

image.png.cb55d8ac37c6774f38df1da74c541fbc.png

http://www.ojaipixies.com/

Helpful? 

What’s The Difference Between Oranges, Mandarins, Satsumas, Clementines, Tangerines?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

when cilantro thinks about going bad

its probably way ahead of you and already out the door.

interesting idea on the stems.

J always has interesting ideas.

no leaves included possibly as they go bad very quick.

most difficult fresh herb Ive ever tried to ' keep '

• Like 5

for me , more like

self absorbed BadAss :

it says :

""   Oh Yeh ?

you think  #RY#)RY# ?

not going to happen

#$%)Y$#)+%Y)$^@$Y%@#$(%|T^ is going to happen. ""

and as a Coda, Cilantro is going to figure out

hopefully after MLifeTime

a way so it tastes like soap

really bad caustic soap

for every mammal in the Planet.

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, weinoo said:

You're quite welcome.

And don't know if it's the same exact fruit, but pixie tangerines this year are also amazingly sweet, if....hmmm...pixiesh. From Ojai, CA.

image.png.cb55d8ac37c6774f38df1da74c541fbc.png

http://www.ojaipixies.com/

Helpful? 

What’s The Difference Between Oranges, Mandarins, Satsumas, Clementines, Tangerines?

Yes!  I think that's what these are.  They are very small but SWEEEET.  

• Like 1

Final Misfits delivery of the season. Farmer's Market opens in three weeks. 

1746381402_misfits4-14.thumb.jpg.3f49923026a9010f5007b9b1009b84ca.jpg

Lots of salad stuff, broccoli, parsnips, Roma tomatoes (for the salads), zucchini (small ones, but about perfect for a batch of fritters, pears, mandarins, potatoes. By the time I'm out of this salad stuff, the lettuce in the garden should be big enough to harvest.

I'll pick Misfits up again in the fall.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

4 hours ago, kayb said:

Final Misfits delivery of the season. Farmer's Market opens in three weeks. 

1746381402_misfits4-14.thumb.jpg.3f49923026a9010f5007b9b1009b84ca.jpg

Lots of salad stuff, broccoli, parsnips, Roma tomatoes (for the salads), zucchini (small ones, but about perfect for a batch of fritters, pears, mandarins, potatoes. By the time I'm out of this salad stuff, the lettuce in the garden should be big enough to harvest.

I'll pick Misfits up again in the fall.

Horseradish or celeriac?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kayb said:

Allegedly parsnips.

Not like any parsnips I’ve eaten and I eat a lot of parsnips. Could it be parsley root?

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

55 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Not like any parsnips I’ve eaten and I eat a lot of parsnips. Could it be parsley root?

Damned if I know. I ordered parsnips. These came. I'm not real certain what they are.

• Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

4 hours ago, Shelby said:

I was going to say it looks more like celeriac.....

We will all be waiting with bated breath until it is used!

Edited by Anna N
Typo (log)
  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My father occasionally grew parsnips that big and chunky, but they were rare enough to be celebrated.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 2 weeks later...

My fridge was getting shockingly bare so I doubled up this week and got both Imperfect and Misfits.  

Misfits offered corn so I got a couple ears.  Haven't eaten them yet, but they actually smell like they might be good.  The poblano peppers are decent size. And, although I have some really nice chicken stock frozen, I couldn't pass these cans of low sodium broth for sixty nine cents a piece.  Handy when I need a small about of broth.

thumbnail_IMG_0786.jpg.0a4b14ca6ac9775f1e07ca2fce625f58.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0787.jpg.17d82ba468d715bf3445ea0a530b0f1c.jpg

Imperfect was mainly because I'm obsessed with the lamb they sell and I wanted some for the freezer.  Also, somewhere here people were talking about buying good butter so I splurged and got some Vermont cultured butter with sea salt.  No one tell Ronnie that I spent that much on butter.

thumbnail_IMG_0789.jpg.95b9f223ddc62c1ecc5c766501f510af.jpg

OH and they offered SHISHITO PEPPERS!!!!!  Very exciting.

• Like 9

On 4/11/2021 at 10:38 AM, weinoo said:

On 4/11/2021 at 10:39 AM, Shelby said:

Perfect.  Thank you!

Sorry this is so late, but I love cilantro stems.  they keep much better than the leaves.  I've had them stay good when wrapped well in the crisper drawer of the fridge for like a month.  I use them a lot in SE Asian dishes where I want a brightness - typically, I'll cut them into a fine dice then turn it into a paste in the mortar...  But if you're going to keep them that long, make sure to get rid of ALL the leaves (I just cut the tops of the whole bunch off with the knife) because as they turn they stink and will infect the whole bag with that rotten cilantro smell.

Yes, cilantro is tough to keep - but I've also noticed that most sellers (near me at least) are selling them when they're already on their last legs - so it doesn't last much longer.  If I need to keep them, I'll put the bunch in a glass with an inch or two of water in the bottom and put in the fridge like flowers in a vase, then loosely drape the grocery plastic bag over the top.  I get a bit more life out of them that way.  Once I am done cleaning out the old apartment I am looking forward to planting some cilantro here in teh new one - this apartment is mostly north facing so shouldn't get direct sun whose heat will make the cilantro bolt faster than you can turn around.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2