• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Imperfect, Misfit, Etc. (The Food Delivery Services)

Chris Hennes

27 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Well, I'm mad at myself.  After looking through what was available at Imperfect I had decided to skip this week because I'm getting Misfits.  Then I waffled back and forth....then it hit me that it's Valentine's Day this weekend and I wanted some berries.  Also, I really wanted more lamb so I got to work filling my cart.  Got everything up to the amount of money I am supposed to spend, went back to get the lamb...SOLD OUT :( .  Lesson:  just order the dang food when your window first opens lol.

You may want to set an alarm for just before your shopping window closes and check again — a lot of stuff that's sold out at the beginning seems to end up available again later as people take it out of their default carts. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Misfits box yesterday.  Was a bit nervous.  Wind chills were below zero, but nothing harmed at all in the box.  They subbed a few things again.  One tiny complaint is when they do that I wish they'd tell me what they sent (I think they are rutabagas???  They are the far right items in the first picture.  Kind of look like big turnips too...). 

thumbnail_IMG_0535.jpg.1ec9ba0354b7b874802a7b7a6e5d7335.jpg

The green beans were excellent.  

thumbnail_IMG_0536.jpg.36506ef6c0663a812804940535f1afff.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0537.jpg.0fdd6a3a80141c7b02cd20a2b0cf1736.jpg

Imperfect should be here in a few hours.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

6 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Misfits box yesterday.  Was a bit nervous.  Wind chills were below zero, but nothing harmed at all in the box.  They subbed a few things again.  One tiny complaint is when they do that I wish they'd tell me what they sent (I think they are rutabagas???  They are the far right items in the first picture.  Kind of look like big turnips too...). 

The pink color in the root makes me think those are watermelon radishes. They get pretty big sometimes.

I never get past putting them in salads and making pickles, but I understand they can be cooked as well.

Those are some lovely looking tomatoes for February!

Edited by dtremit (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dtremit said:

The pink color in the root makes me think those are watermelon radishes. They get pretty big sometimes.

I never get past putting them in salads and making pickles, but I understand they can be cooked as well.

OMG well I DID order watermelon radishes....I had no idea they were that HUGE!!!  LOL I'm dying laughing.  I thought they were called that due to their pink color on the inside.  

I feel dumb 🤣

• Haha 2

slice them thin w a veg peeler

and add to a salad at the last minute

use those Swiss Chard  as your salad greens.

you will have to cook the ' stems '  of the SC

but try the SCgreens as a salad

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, dtremit said:

They do look pretty--they actually look like heirloom tomatoes, but I bet they don't taste as good as they look lol.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Shelby said:

The green beans were excellent.  

thumbnail_IMG_0536.jpg.36506ef6c0663a812804940535f1afff.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0537.jpg.0fdd6a3a80141c7b02cd20a2b0cf1736.jpg

Imperfect should be here in a few hours.

Your misfits look way better than the dreck they sent me

• Like 1

Just now, gfweb said:

Your misfits look way better than the dreck they sent me

I hate it that you and others are not happy with Misfits,  (knock on wood) I've had good results.  My box always ships from Salt Lake City, UT. 

54 minutes ago, Shelby said:

OMG well I DID order watermelon radishes....I had no idea they were that HUGE!!!  LOL I'm dying laughing.  I thought they were called that due to their pink color on the inside.  

I feel dumb 🤣

I've had a couple of mine get softball-sized, and they were still tasty. I usually harvest them at 2 inches or so in diameter, just because a) I'm impatient, and b) it's a good size to make a whole, pretty slice for my salad bowl.

Treat them like a prettier version of daikon, basically. Raw, cooked, pickled, they're good any which way.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Well, I'm not super happy.  It's 2 million degrees below zero here--and over a lot of the country--and Imperfect Foods put an ICE PACK in the box.

thumbnail_IMG_0542.jpg.6b7852b7cd87b3389bc47c86230d61cf.jpg

WHY??????

thumbnail_IMG_0543.jpg.d46cb3e8b62466f0d9e5674d5a62cc9c.jpg

Everything is frozen.  Mushroom caps on the far left I was going to stuff for Valentine's Day tomorrow.  Maybe they will still be usable.  The little mushrooms frozen solid.  Limes frozen, tomatillos frozen (are those even salvageable??? I was going to make a salsa for tonight sigh).  Little potatoes--half are frozen and after thawing a bit are now mush.  The meats are fine sigh.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 8

I'd cook the little shrooms before they slime out and pre-test one of the big guys. If not workable - saute for later use. Tomatillos I'd broil/char and turn into salsa per your plan. Don't expect you were going for chunky tomatillo salsa. Seems potatoes are a write off if thawing to mush. Bummer in general!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Shelby

I think all might be usable

in some way

send th a polite reply 

keep th tomatillos in th refrig

all will be usable

and , as you know

its fine stuff you have

at a very very low risk 

tomorrow ?

next week ?

see :  it does not matter that much in

the New Era 

just re-set your calendar.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Limes become easier to juice after freezing then thawing.   I freeze whole lemons all the time.  The pulp becomes softer and gives up more juice.  Pretty sure the tomatillos would be fine if you are cooking and blending them.  I buy frozen mushrooms mixes all the time and the texture of the cooked mushrooms are normal to me.

Good thing there were no fresh greens/leaves though.  Those would have been a total loss.

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Thanks, everyone.  If it had frozen without the added ice pack, I'd have blamed myself for ordering when so cold, but.....   

I hate complaining so I'll just bite the bullet and hopefully it's mostly usable.  The tomatillos were for tonight.  Charring might be a good idea so thanks @heidih

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

Limes become easier to juice after freezing then thawing.   I freeze whole lemons all the time.  The pulp becomes softer and gives up more juice.  Pretty sure the tomatillos would be fine if you are cooking and blending them.  I buy frozen mushrooms mixes all the time and the texture of the cooked mushrooms are normal to me.

Good thing there were no fresh greens/leaves though.  Those would have been a total loss.

I know right!?  It's amazing I didn't order any greens.  I usually do.  Good to know about the mushrooms and the citrus, maybe all is not lost. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chromedome said:

I've had a couple of mine get softball-sized, and they were still tasty. I usually harvest them at 2 inches or so in diameter, just because a) I'm impatient, and b) it's a good size to make a whole, pretty slice for my salad bowl.

Treat them like a prettier version of daikon, basically. Raw, cooked, pickled, they're good any which way.

I like them pickled. I like them raw, sliced paper thin and salted, and I like them in a mixed vegetable pancake or fritter. Very nice grated the same way as zucchini and kohlrabi; I use about 50 percent zucchini or more, and the rest equal amounts of radish and kohlrabi. Throw in a lot of cilantro, dill or chives, minimal amount of flour, egg, etc, fry till crispy. Serve with a salsa or creme fraiche. I'm pretty happy with them just plain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Shelby said:

They are the far right items in the first picture.  Kind of look like big turnips too...)

Given how cold it is where you are, soup may be in order. I've subbed radishes in recipes for turnip soup and they work fine, I'm sure these would, too, and might make a pretty Valentine's-themed soup.  This recipe, from the Greens Restaurant Cookbook, for Turnip Soup with Turnip Greens is excellent if you've got some leeks left.  Turnip or radish greens are nice, but any greens can be used. 

On the tomatillos, this salsa recipe from Josef Centeno is quite nice.  He roasts the tomatillos along with all the other veg to start. 

In his book, Amá, he has a Salsa Aguacate that is more simple but also very delicious

Broil 6 oz tomatillos on a foil-lined baking sheet 3-5 min or until they are charred, turning them halfway

Roast 2 medium jalapeños over a gas burner until blackened, let steam in a covered bowl for 10 min then peel and remove stems.

Put the tomatillos & jalapeños in a processor or blender with 1/4 ripe avocado, 1/4 cup cilantro, 2T white vinegar or rice vinegar and 1/4 t salt.  Purée and add more salt to taste. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

Thanks, everyone.  If it had frozen without the added ice pack, I'd have blamed myself for ordering when so cold, but.....   

I hate complaining so I'll just bite the bullet and hopefully it's mostly usable.  The tomatillos were for tonight.  Charring might be a good idea so thanks @heidih

I'm sure it would've frozen without the ice pack in there, sitting on a truck overnight or more in sub zero temp. I don't know if that makes you feel better..., but really - not that big a deal; better than meat defrosting and sitting in a hot truck in July. (You know me, always looking on the bright side!)

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Given how cold it is where you are, soup may be in order.

I was gonna suggest it's a perfect use for the stuff that froze and gets defrosted. Mushrooms, potatoes, whatevs - purée that sucker, and no one is any the wiser.

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Was gonna eat the Misfit turnip I got 3 days ago.

Rotten inside.

The sweet potatoes I ordered turned out not to be orange fleshed yams which they appeared to be, but some sort of white fleshed things that neither cook nor taste like the standard sweet potato. Irritating and ruined a dish.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Sad 6

9 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I'm sure it would've frozen without the ice pack in there, sitting on a truck overnight or more in sub zero temp. I don't know if that makes you feel better..., but really - not that big a deal; better than meat defrosting and sitting in a hot truck in July. (You know me, always looking on the bright side!)

Indeed, without the ice pack, it could have done both — thawed before it left the warehouse, and then refrozen on the truck.

Or vice versa — we live in a large building, and they deliver the boxes indoors; sometimes that means they're sitting in a room temperature space for a few hours before people are home to take them up to their fridges.

• Like 1

Exactly why I'm not going to complain to them.  I made a really good salsa verde with the tomatillos ...all is ok.  I shouldn't have complained on here.  I can always make something with something.  I am glad for the ideas though.  Thanks everyone :) 

• Like 4

No experience with either vendor but do they not refund the cost of any unsatisfactory produce as amazon does?  If not I see no reason other than to buy from Jeff, or from whomever is running the amazon parade these days.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Speaking as a longtime retailer, I'd be pretty unhappy if a customer grumped to all their friends but didn't bother to mention their issue to me.

If they already use insulated packaging bag thingies to keep perishables cold in summer, they can certainly use them to protect things from freezing in winter...if they think of it.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

35 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Speaking as a longtime retailer, I'd be pretty unhappy if a customer grumped to all their friends but didn't bother to mention their issue to me.

If they already use insulated packaging bag thingies to keep perishables cold in summer, they can certainly use them to protect things from freezing in winter...if they think of it.

Oh, I told them.

• Like 2