• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Imperfect, Misfit, Etc. (The Food Delivery Services)

Chris Hennes

BTW

although this might make some chatter

Pears are perhaps the only ' stone ' fruit

ie w pits

that does ripen off the tree.

true ripening , not just getting mushier.

tomatoes do something similar 

but not the same as if left 

" on the vine "

pears , treeless , work the same as if on the tree

w in reason of course 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rotuts said:

BTW

ie w pits

tomatoes do something similar 

but not the same as if left 

" on the vine "

w in reason of course 

Pears (and apples) are not stone fruits.

On 1/21/2021 at 12:16 PM, rotuts said:

BTW

ie w pits

w in reason of course 

Just so.  That's what makes pears such a great fruit to keep.  In the fridge, they "hold" really well - basically static.  When you take them out, they start to ripen.  Some sweet friend of Jessica's sent her a box with nine of the Royal Riviera pears from Harry and David.  They are huge pears - sliced up, one served all three of us.  Using the method I described above, we were able to keep them perfectly until the last one.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Just so.  That's what makes pears such a great fruit to keep.  In the fridge, they "hold" really well - basically static.  When you take them out, they start to ripen.  Some sweet friend of Jessica's sent her a box with nine of the Royal Riviera pears from Harry and David.  They are huge pears - sliced up, one served all three of us.  Using the method I described above, we were able to keep them perfectly until the last one.

In the old days those RR pears from Harry and David were spectacular. I had the feeling they packed them very carefully with attention to varying states of ripeness. I kept them in a cool room, not refrigerated. But the last time I ordered them, maybe five years ago, the quality and attention to detail was way down. They just weren't great. Made me sad, and I decided, given the price, not to buy them anymore. This season I've had some excellent Anjou pears. I keep them on the counter and that short window of "just right" has been easy to gauge. When it comes to pears I'm with Flannery O'Connor: a good one is hard to find.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

This week's Imperfect box:

DSC_7709.jpg

One of the heads of garlic was rotten through, and the potato is the size of a small sedan. Otherwise it all looks pretty good.

Those leeks look huge!  I ordered those for this week.  Braised leeks sound good.

• Like 1

Got my Misfits box just now.  Definitely a weirder box this time.  Please don't take me wrong, I know I'm very lucky to be able to get veggies delivered so I'm really not complaining...well maybe a bit lol.

Here is what I ordered:

Red Grape Tomatoes

Red Butterhead Lettuce

Russet Potatoes

Lemons

Cilantro

Baby Bok Choy

Green Butterhead Lettuce

Anaheim Peppers

Green Beans

Roma Tomatoes

Limes

Yellow Potatoes

Green Swiss Chard

Broccoli Ninos

Marketplace Add-Ons  

Qty

Organic Valentino Tomatoes on the Vine, 14 Oz

Organic Brussels Sprouts, 12 Oz

Organic Shiitake Mushrooms, 3.5 Oz

I got no cilantro, no Roma tomatoes, no green beans, no grape tomatoes and no broccoli.  They subbed 2 celery roots--IDEAS needed there..I know, I know, google is my friend, but I'd love ideas from you guys, a TON of Anaheim peppers 12 of them (which is fine, I'll roast and freeze what I don't use fresh, and something unknown oh and some peppers too--the name escapes me.  Oh and some carrots.  I really didn't need carrots, but they last forever so ok.  And onions, they subbed two red onions.

What kind of  peppers are these?  Skinnier than jalapeños.

thumbnail_IMG_0449.jpg.b89c4486206628155c89e5ed330801db.jpg

And what the hell are these?

thumbnail_IMG_0446.jpg.379dc8e153a1d11ed16757cddc1771ac.jpg

What ever they are, they don't look in too great of shape and neither does the celery root...

The rest of the box:

thumbnail_IMG_0448.jpg.100cae7e525063c1699ff3cdd00a44e3.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0447.jpg.1fdfc24acbde8e5a5814fd8a17a9ff24.jpg

All help appreciated for my questions :) 

• Like 1

For the unknown peppers and roots — I think the smaller peppers are serranos, and the other mystery veg looks like golden beets. The latter look just fine to me — the skins on those are pretty rough sometimes but they're usually perfect underneath!

I know it's not particularly creative, but I love to riff on mashed potatoes by mixing 50/50 with celery root. They're also nice in a gratin.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dtremit said:

For the unknown peppers and roots — I think the smaller peppers are serranos, and the other mystery veg looks like golden beets. The latter look just fine to me — the skins on those are pretty rough sometimes but they're usually perfect underneath!

I know it's not particularly creative, but I love to riff on mashed potatoes by mixing 50/50 with celery root. They're also nice in a gratin.

Serranos!  Yes!  

Celery root gratin sounds good.  

Ronnie detests beets sigh.  But I like them.  Good to know that they will be better than they look!

Thank you!

My feeling is that the critters have better senses than we do, so those with "sampling" holes are the ones that have been, so to speak, preapproved by the QA department. After a bit of work with the paring knife, I'll happily eat 'em.

BTW, re the golden beets, they're great raw in salads. Sweet, earthy, crunchy, and not nearly as excited to stain your clothes as regular beets. I haven't made a whole lot of use of my spiralizer, but often when I pull it out it's for those beets. I grow a variety called Golden Grex in my own garden.

Edited by chromedome (log)
  • Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

IMG_3881.thumb.jpg.eecc601ef906730c9395f2cfee340ffa.jpg

Today's Imperfect box. Actually managed to remember to photograph it today. Overall a pretty good haul; normally we have more "extras" besides produce, but I am trying to draw down those supplies in the fridge and freezer a bit and thus blew most of the free shipping minimum on produce. 

This will be most of our grocery shopping for this week and next, I think; we are pretty well stocked on everything else.

Only sad item this week was a couple of the green onions. Also hoping the kiwis didn't get banged up too badly; they kind of fell to the bottom of the box.

The pears and limes have a fair number of cosmetic defects, but I think are unaffected in terms of quality. Just ugly exemplars.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Shelby said:

Got my Misfits box just now.  Definitely a weirder box this time.  Please don't take me wrong, I know I'm very lucky to be able to get veggies delivered so I'm really not complaining...well maybe a bit lol.

Here is what I ordered:

Red Grape Tomatoes

Red Butterhead Lettuce

Russet Potatoes

Lemons

Cilantro

Baby Bok Choy

Green Butterhead Lettuce

Anaheim Peppers

Green Beans

Roma Tomatoes

Limes

Yellow Potatoes

Green Swiss Chard

Broccoli Ninos

Marketplace Add-Ons  

Qty

Organic Valentino Tomatoes on the Vine, 14 Oz

Organic Brussels Sprouts, 12 Oz

Organic Shiitake Mushrooms, 3.5 Oz

I got no cilantro, no Roma tomatoes, no green beans, no grape tomatoes and no broccoli.  They subbed 2 celery roots--IDEAS needed there..I know, I know, google is my friend, but I'd love ideas from you guys, a TON of Anaheim peppers 12 of them (which is fine, I'll roast and freeze what I don't use fresh, and something unknown oh and some peppers too--the name escapes me.  Oh and some carrots.  I really didn't need carrots, but they last forever so ok.  And onions, they subbed two red onions.

What kind of  peppers are these?  Skinnier than jalapeños.

thumbnail_IMG_0449.jpg.b89c4486206628155c89e5ed330801db.jpg

And what the hell are these?

thumbnail_IMG_0446.jpg.379dc8e153a1d11ed16757cddc1771ac.jpg

What ever they are, they don't look in too great of shape and neither does the celery root...

The rest of the box:

thumbnail_IMG_0448.jpg.100cae7e525063c1699ff3cdd00a44e3.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0447.jpg.1fdfc24acbde8e5a5814fd8a17a9ff24.jpg

All help appreciated for my questions :) 

At least you got limes.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Misfits delivery.  It came on time and everything was good except for tomatoes.  This is the smallest red cabbage I have ever seen.  Not sure it is legal to harvest at this age.  Almost felt guilty eating it, like it was veal :).  You can hardly see it in the back near the radishes

E8F11983-3965-474B-B7CC-50755E2399D4.thumb.jpeg.02087705f4ca5b545f17b88e9191a31a.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, chefmd said:

Misfits delivery.  It came on time and everything was good except for tomatoes.  This is the smallest red cabbage I have ever seen.  Not sure it is legal to harvest at this age.  Almost felt guilty eating it, like it was veal :).  You can hardly see it in the back near the radishes

LOL Now there's an advertising slogan for ya: "Vegan veal...for guilt without the guilt." :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Imperfect foods came just now.  I swear I'm going to get back to grinding wheat and baking bread but for now, it's nice to have some in the freezer (I repackage so it stays better for longer).  I thought @Chris Hennes's leeks were big--these are giants 🤣.  One kiwi got smashed but other than that it all looks good.

thumbnail_IMG_0451.jpg.a9a373f3df25e832a4e790d9ccf3279e.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Shelby Potato leek soup is my dad's favorite. I prefer it with mushrooms but without s still comforting and delicious. We used as much of the green as seemed tender and as @rotuts noted, kept discards for stock. .http://www.marshallsabroad.com/market-inspiration-leek-and-potato-soup/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3