• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Imperfect, Misfit, Etc. (The Food Delivery Services)

Chris Hennes

29 minutes ago, dtremit said:

You know, I never have thought to check the weight on anything I've gotten from Imperfect. Probably should start doing that...

Just jumping off your post.  I looked up how much each size box is supposed to weigh so I'll post it here so we all know.

Imperfect Foods Boxes

Small-feeds 2-4 people-7 to 9 pounds of food

Medium-feeds 4 to 6 people-11 to 14 pounds of food

Large-feeds 6 to 8 people-17 to 19 pounds of food

Extra Large-feeds 8 to 10 people-23 to 25 pounds of food

• Like 2

I think the "box sizes" really only describe the default selection — an approximation of how much they put in your cart before you shop. I think I usually swap out at least half of what's pre-populated.

As for individual items, I probably haven't ever checked weights because they're not in the email confirmation — which is what I usually use to check if I've gotten everything. The weights are only on the web purchase history.

Everything from this week looks fine, but most of what we ordered was by count, rather than by weight — or prepackaged. (The 3lb bag of Bartlett pears for $4 was a nice find — they're really tasty.)

Edited by dtremit (log)
  • Like 2

@Shelby 

as it is .

take the pears you fave been given

take out the stem

, and quarter them , and tae out the seed area

then

grill them . very slowly 

w some sort of deviousness after they getmchared

only a bit

then report back

works w canned pears

and it will work w yours. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Really good pears are really good.  Medium good pears suck.  It's hard to find really good pears around here.

Somewhere recently online (Twitter, I think?) someone posted "Just had a perfect pear. Caught it in that 30-second window."

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

A noted by others - heat brings out so much.. My 2 old trees produced almost inedible fruit raw that was wonderful baked with butter & spice. As to eating raw - so many varieties and some can be lovely raw. How you ripen them matters and constant sniff vigilance is needed.  There is a reason I think Harry & David has survived so long.  There is a major hype factor but that is a huge fan base. 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Shelby said:

Really good pears are really good.  Medium good pears suck.  It's hard to find really good pears around here.

We had a whole bunch of really good pears this fall.  Normally, two or three I buy are okay.  This year, we had them every week for five or six weeks, and they were excellent, once ripened.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

jalapenos here this week, including a couple that are nearly as large as carrots:

I've been noticing jalapenos getting bigger and bigger as the years go on. It's weird.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I've been noticing jalapenos getting bigger and bigger as the years go on. It's weird.

I've noticed the same.  They used to be slightly fatter and only marginally longer than serranos but now they are much bigger in both dimensions.  I've seen plants and seeds for sale labeled Jalapeño Gigante or something like that and touting their large size being perfect for stuffing.  I wouldn't be surprised if they are easier to pick, separate from other plant debris and pack so they may be appealing to growers, too.  

• Like 4

On the same track. I notice, here at least, that poblanos are looking more and more like Anaheims...  I always used to think of poblanos as heart shaped but no more.  This newer version is harder to stuff.  Are we going to end up with a single chili in the future?  

20 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

On the same track. I notice, here at least, that poblanos are looking more and more like Anaheims...  I always used to think of poblanos as heart shaped but no more.  This newer version is harder to stuff.  Are we going to end up with a single chili in the future?  

From AgriBiz perhaps, but there are seed saver exchanges and passionate people all over keeping the genetic lines alive. As our @rancho_gordo with corn and beans and chilies

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

I agree that most supermarket jalapeños appear larger than they used to be, as well as less flavorful. It's a crapshoot how much heat a given batch carries. It's too bad, because when I make escabeche or pickled jalapeños I don't want giant slices. I try to pick out smaller peppers and to be safe usually buy a few serranos, just in case I need more heat in the pickle. Not exactly the same, but sort of works.

At the farmers market I can usually count on poblanos looking and tasting like poblanos, but that's only in season, and I buy from same vendor. Hard to imagine those giant bland  jalapeños making proper poppers! Not that I've made them in a million years.

• Like 4

Yes, near me is the amazing Seed Savers Project in Decorah, Iowa.  Wal-Mart still carries what I think are the real ones.  At this point in time I really have no interest in growing my own though.  All those who do keep unique strains going should have a special spot at the table in Heaven!

Edited by IowaDee (log)
  • Like 3

I looked at the jalapenos today in Shoprite.  They certainly were huge.  Personally I prefer serrano and purchase serrano whenever I have a choice.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou