• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Imperfect, Misfit, Etc. (The Food Delivery Services)

Chris Hennes

Not for nothing, but I've recently changed how I cook Brussels sprouts, pretty much no matter their size.

That is, they get sliced/shredded, and then steam sautéed, be it with bacon, or just with some olive oil and garlic and the water clinging to them after rinsing. They get very sweet this way.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

wow!  At what point does it stop being called a Brussels sprout and instead just called cabbage?

I wondered that when I got some of these, but they taste *exactly* like a normal sprout.

15 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Not for nothing, but I've recently changed how I cook Brussels sprouts, pretty much no matter their size.

That is, they get sliced/shredded, and then steam sautéed, be it with bacon, or just with some olive oil and garlic and the water clinging to them after rinsing. They get very sweet this way.

With the addition of *very* thin shredding, this is pretty similar to the Brazilian method for collard greens (couve a mineira). Those have to be cut really, really thin, though.

• Like 2

Thinking of trying a new, local option in this genre this week — Friday Food Market. I don't know much about them, but a local shop published a referral code the other day. Apparently they work with local distributors and clear out excess inventory at the end of the week — you select items online on Friday, and they drop off the items on Saturday. Will be interesting to see what their prices are like — they apparently vary week to week, so you don't know until the store opens Friday morning.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Might add onions and cranzins, cooked

• Like 2

Fascinating giant brussels sprouts. Are sprouts one of the veg that get sweeter after frost? Maybe that is a factor. As with most cruciferous vegetable I like a touch of Dijon. Also the craisins @gfweb mentioned but with a touch of vinegar.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Of course, I learned about cooking the sprouts like this from one of my heroes, Mr. P...

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=374394013829550

I'm going way off topic here, but I love the layout of his kitchen. So much packed into a compact working space (though I know the room around it is quite a bit larger). We are about to move into a house with a fairly compact kitchen (which I'm sure we'll eventually redo) and I've been scrutinizing the layout in his videos really carefully for inspiration.

• Like 1

Here's today's order:

DSC_7290.jpg

The spinach bunch is large, the avocados small (they always are), and the citrus has some cosmetic blemishes. I think the rest is overstock. It's the first time I've ended up with an entire bag of apples, they usually show up one or two at a time. (And the giant brussels sprouts must be a common thing, I've got a batch that looks like that in my fridge from last week).

• Like 9

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

3 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:

Here's today's order:

DSC_7290.jpg

The spinach bunch is large, the avocados small (they always are), and the citrus has some cosmetic blemishes. I think the rest is overstock. It's the first time I've ended up with an entire bag of apples, they usually show up one or two at a time. (And the giant brussels sprouts must be a common thing, I've got a batch that looks like that in my fridge from last week).

Those are either really big limes or really small lemons!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:

Here's today's order:

DSC_7290.jpg

What's in the plastic container?

• Like 1

My avocado experience is that size follows pit size so the little ones tend to have a decent flesh yield as their pit is smaller. Blemished citrus - well hello Mother Nature and weather usually. Watcha gonna do with the apples?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KennethT said:

Those are either really big limes or really small lemons!

Sometimes my corner guy has very large limes, bigger than the lemons he's selling right next to them!

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I wanted to report that the avocados I got in my last Imperfect order were fantastic! I always seem to get bad avocados here in the midwest, but these were perfect in every way on the inside. The skin had blemishes, but who cares!

Also, I felt I was taking a chance on them because they were so cheap, but I got some of the boneless, skinless chicken breast chunks. At $2.99 for 14 oz., I felt like I couldn't go wrong. They arrived frozen and I put them promptly into the freezer. I used them yesterday in a chicken potpie. My husband had no idea, but said it was some of the best chicken he's had. I was very pleased. In the package, there were 2 pieces that were very close to breast half size and a few smaller pieces. 

I ordered a second time from Misfits and was just as unhappy as I had been the first time. The radishes were so soft they were unusable. A rotten lemon and eggplant that was nearly gone, too. I am cancelling them and will continue with Imperfect as I need them. I am so overstocked right now that I just skipped this week's shipment.

• Like 4

Deb

Liberty, MO

12 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:

They are quite small lemons: I’d say the limes are normal lime size (very precise, I know!)

Aside from the fact that are different types of limes and lemons, in my experience even the same breed can vary alot. We are, I think used to uniformity.

• Like 1

Got my Misfits box--second week in a row that it's a day early which is great with me.

Here's a picture of the liner that they use.  No ice pack was included--but one wasn't needed because it's cold here.

thumbnail_IMG_0397.jpg.a9e4a34b0f0ef49e0837f25dcbaf08b4.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0398.jpg.8385adbb547dd84b7d82eefb98937b6b.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0399.jpg.c186c1afcd4148af71bb94b30165ff8c.jpg

Every thing is fresh a nice except one russet potato has a bad spot.  No big deal.  The parsnips are much bigger than Imperfect sent....which is good because I really like them.

I said I was canceling my Imperfect delivery this week because of Misfits coming ...and I did, but then I changed my mind and unskipped. What the heck..it's a pandemic so why not lol.  Looking forward to it coming tomorrow.  I ordered some salmon and I'm hungry for it.

Edited to add, not sure why the one bok choy is included.  I didn't order it and I can't see that I didn't get something that I did order...so I guess it's a bonus lol.

Edited again...I DID order it but stupidly only ordered one sigh.  Oh well.  

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2

My Imperfect box arrived yesterday and three of the items were severely underweight. I emailed them and they credited me with the full amount of each one. Quality has been very good and they don’t look any less imperfect than the stores. 

• Like 3

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Imperfect Foods yesterday.  Everything fresh.  I ordered a pound of potatoes and got one (was thinking I'd get at least two). I weighed it--it is half a pound lol.  Salmon looks good.  Haven't opened a pack yet.  I had forgotten that I ordered bok choy from them too, so we don't have to split the one I got from Misfits lol.

thumbnail_IMG_0402.jpg.2311d4cc86170cefe76de1f982eb8723.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0401.jpg.e95520aab71726803367c3f1e424fee7.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1