• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Imperfect, Misfit, Etc. (The Food Delivery Services)

Chris Hennes

9 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Amen sister!  Kale has no place in my kitchen. 

Speak its marketed praises all you will, that horrid green shant grace my plates!

So no Portuguese Caldo Verde in your eating life?  Oh well we all have preferences, likes, and dislikes.

Yup. Sometimes I want greens that cook up soft, sometimes I want greens that retain some chew. I like 'em all.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I subbed kale for the usual greens in my black eyed peas this year. Couldn't easily find mustard or collard greens and had kale. I'm sure we will survive. 

Edited. I forgot to say that I signed up for both Misfits and Imperfect at the same time. There are good things and bad things about both. Still evaluating, but will probably cancel Misfits and go with Imperfect as a fill in for stuff I can't get at Aldi or the grocer where I do curbside pick up. A big issue for me has been that in the deliveries I have gotten so far, on the days of delivery, things have gotten too cold from the weather. It doesn't sit on my porch--it is from the time spent on the delivery trucks. Frozen tomatoes, lettuce, etc. are not a good thing.

Edited by Maison Rustique
to add info (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

10 hours ago, heidih said:

So no Portuguese Caldo Verde in your eating life?  Oh well we all have preferences, likes, and dislikes.

I will admit having had (and don't tell too many - enjoyed!) Caldo Verde prepared by a Spanish lady who used to work for me.  I suppose if you cook any green long enough in liquid to break it down, accompanied by some sort of pork - it too can taste good!

Though I am not rushing out to horde the Kale to prepare it myself.

• Haha 3

The contents of my late December Misfits Market box. Package got lost for a few days and while everything looked great, some of the greens were a bit floppy (they were fine for cooking but not for salads). The mandarin oranges were fantastic. I think I'll give Imperfect a try next.

19528633_IMG_6503-2020DecemberMistfitsMarket.jpg.3a8851ee8a0e591f6886db39818f0b28.jpg

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, curls said:

The contents of my late December Misfits Market box. Package got lost for a few days and while everything looked great, some of the greens were a bit floppy (they were fine for cooking but not for salads). The mandarin oranges were fantastic. I think I'll give Imperfect a try next.

19528633_IMG_6503-2020DecemberMistfitsMarket.jpg.3a8851ee8a0e591f6886db39818f0b28.jpg

Wow you got garlic and a mango!  I've never had those as a choice.

I want to try imperfect too, but I wish I didn't have to sign up and then cancel it over and over.....

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, curls said:

Not sure if they were 'past the point of no return' but often for salad greens that are past their prime, I will tear or slice them and soak in ice cold water.  Seems to crisp them back up most of the time, quite nicely.

Great haul.  If you don't mind my asking, what does a box with said contents cost?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Not sure if they were 'past the point of no return' but often for salad greens that are past their prime, I will tear or slice them and soak in ice cold water.  Seems to crisp them back up most of the time, quite nicely.

Great haul.  If you don't mind my asking, what does a box with said contents cost?

Including tax & shipping that box was ~$30.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Wow you got garlic and a mango!  I've never had those as a choice.

I want to try imperfect too, but I wish I didn't have to sign up and then cancel it over and over.....

Ha! I wouldn't order the garlic again - it was a very small head of garlic and I paid an extra 50 cents for it. The mango smells good and I have it in the fridge, will try it soon.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Shelby said:

You definitely can  cancel your entire subscription, using the drop down menu under your name!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

8 minutes ago, Shelby said:

You can skip up to five future deliveries — it's a little confusing at first because it's on the "Delivery Schedule" page, rather than the "Subscription" page. But if you're on a biweekly plan, it means not having to do it very often. Currently my account gives me the option to skip through March 5th.

I prefer Misfits' "hold" feature, though.

And I *really* wish both services would let you schedule a subscription every 3 weeks, which is actually a lot closer to what we need. I've been able to hack it a bit by changing from "even" to "odd" weeks at strategic times.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, curls said:

Including tax & shipping that box was ~$30.

Thank you.

That is I am assuming $30USD - so let's say nearly $40CDN.  I would hazard a rough estimate that I might be able to purchase the same volume of organic veg (I shop at either a Saturday Organic farmers market or a local chain called 'Organic Garage' and 'Ambrosia') for nearly the same price, if not albeit slightly less.  Though I do like their modus operandi and the EASY factor.

• Like 2

I'm curious about the mechanics of this thing.

Who sorts it out...where does it happen...what's the lag between sorting and delivery...is it less fresh than what's in the market?

2 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I'm curious about the mechanics of this thing.

Who sorts it out...where does it happen...what's the lag between sorting and delivery...is it less fresh than what's in the market?

I'm not sure who sorts it out.....my boxes ship from Salt Lake City, UT but I'd bet that could be different for others depending on where they live.  Here's how mine works:   Saturday January 9th at 3 pm central time, I will be able to build my box.  I have between then and Jan. 11th to get that done  but I've learned to set an alarm and log in at the exact opening time so I can get the most selection.  After I build my box I have an amount of time to log back in and change my picks, but they warn that re-choosing might leave you not being able to get the other items that you still want.  January 12th they will charge my credit card and set up shipping with Fed Ex.  Friday the 15th is when my box should deliver--maybe the day before.  I haven't had anything that isn't fresh as me buying from the store (keep in mind that it's winter in Kansas so your milage may vary if you live in a warmer, more produce conducive area).  

I've been very happy (except for the kale issue).  I don't live where anything can be delivered from a store so this is very much a good thing for us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FWIW -- Tear the Kale in big chunks, toss in olive oil, and bake scattered on a couple of cookie sheets at 350 for maybe 20-25 minutes (might be longer, I don't remember). Kale chips. Still don't taste very good, but not as bad as regular kale, and you can feel virtuous about eating chips.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

5 minutes ago, kayb said:

FWIW -- Tear the Kale in big chunks, toss in olive oil, and bake scattered on a couple of cookie sheets at 350 for maybe 20-25 minutes (might be longer, I don't remember). Kale chips. Still don't taste very good, but not as bad as regular kale, and you can feel virtuous about eating chips.

Or you might want to go the really slow cook way. Just toss directly into your compost heap and in a year or so enjoy the sweet carrots that you grow from your nutrient-rich soil. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, TicTac said:

Thank you.

That is I am assuming $30USD - so let's say nearly $40CDN.  I would hazard a rough estimate that I might be able to purchase the same volume of organic veg (I shop at either a Saturday Organic farmers market or a local chain called 'Organic Garage' and 'Ambrosia') for nearly the same price, if not albeit slightly less.  Though I do like their modus operandi and the EASY factor.

Yes that is $30 USD. I could probably get a better and/or cheaper selection of produce by shopping around myself but given these COVID times, this is a great solution. I’m going to the store for the larger / stock up shopping trips and using Misfits/Imperfect to keep fresh produce in the house. I’m also using this as a way to try new (or difficult to obtain) produce. I’m also enjoying the ordering and unboxing — kind of a mystery box with known parameters.

• Like 4

There are reasons to be tempted... the ease, the fun of unpacking the goodies... but I fear that in Minnesota winter, much would be frozen and ruined in the delivery process. In the summer, my CSA provides for my needs, but I never get the winter share and I tire very quickly of squash and roots in excess.

• Like 3

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

4 hours ago, BetD said:

There are reasons to be tempted... the ease, the fun of unpacking the goodies... but I fear that in Minnesota winter, much would be frozen and ruined in the delivery process. In the summer, my CSA provides for my needs, but I never get the winter share and I tire very quickly of squash and roots in excess.

Yes, that was an issue with my first order. I am giving it a second chance and hope I chose things that will not be so vulnerable to the cold. And I hope the shipping is a bit better (not having to sit on the truck so long) now that Christmas is past.

• Like 2

Deb

Liberty, MO

56 minutes ago, Shelby said:

One more question about Imperfect Foods and then maybe I'll just shut up and order (or not lol).  Do they offer fresh herbs?

Frequently but not as consistently as other things, I would say. Almost always parsley and (I think) cilantro (which I don't buy on account of my partner's loathing). 
I know I've also bought thyme and a mixed herb clamshell, but I haven't seen those every week.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/22/2020 at 6:11 AM, weinoo said:

It's interesting to note that the fruit and vegetable cart guys on the corners in NYC have been selling what are essentially misfit and imperfect foods since the beginning of...well, since whenever they started.

So have various grocers in inner cities.  Very little of the produce imperfect et al sell was in any danger of going to waste, at least before they ended up in a consumer's kitchen.

5 minutes ago, dscheidt said:

So have various grocers in inner cities.  Very little of the produce imperfect et al sell was in any danger of going to waste, at least before they ended up in a consumer's kitchen.

Just because some of it gets to market doesn't mean a majority of it does. A 2019 study by Santa Clara University showed that about a third of the edible produce grown never leaves the farm.

• Like 2