• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dtremit

dtremit

24 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

DH birthday yesterday, I picked up some dumplings from WholeFoods. Horrible. Big and fat and no flavor. 

I'm always amazed when someone manages to mess up dumplings — they're so easy to get right! But so many supermarket ones are terrible.

24 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

Red package is Dooubanjiang. Mung bean paste. Should have ordered but just saw it this morning when checking on delivery tracking. 

In the grand eGullet tradition of enabling, I am obligated to point out that Mala Market sells that same (excellent) doubanjiang and a lot of other high quality versions of Sichuan ingredients.

I have been using their 10 year Baoning vinegar as a sort of finishing vinegar for a lot of Chinese dishes or dipping sauces lately and have been very impressed. (Expensive, but it's quite a big bottle.)

Their Sichuan peppercorns are notably better than the ones I've gotten from supermarkets as well — and it's the only place in the US I have ever seen caiziyou (unrefined rapeseed oil, traditionally used a lot in Sichuan).

A few things they sell are a bit ridiculously priced (like the zhacai and yacai) — I don't begrudge a small business the markup, but I can get those easily elsewhere.

All of this is making me want to cook more Sichuan food — think it will be on the menu this week! Might be time to finally set up the outdoor wok burner...

dtremit

dtremit

12 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

DH birthday yesterday, I picked up some dumplings from WholeFoods. Horrible. Big and fat and no flavor. 

I'm always amazed when someone manages to mess up dumplings — they're so easy to get right! But so many supermarket ones are terrible.

13 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

Red package is Dooubanjiang. Mung bean paste. Should have ordered but just saw it this morning when checking on delivery tracking. 

In the grand eGullet tradition of enabling, I am obligated to point out that Mala Market sells that same (excellent) doubanjiang and a lot of other high quality versions of Sichuan ingredients.

I have been using their 10 year Baoning vinegar as a sort of finishing vinegar for a lot of Chinese dishes or dipping sauces lately and have been very impressed. (Expensive, but it's quite a big bottle.)

Their Sichuan peppercorns are notably better than the ones I've gotten from supermarkets as well — and it's the only place in the US I have ever seen caiziyou (unrefined rapeseed oil, traditionally used a lot in Sichuan).

A few things they sell are a bit ridiculously priced (like the zhacai and yacai) — I don't begrudge a small business the markup, but I can get those easily elsewhere.

All of this is making me want to cook more Sichuan food — think it will be on the menu this week!