• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Annie_H

Annie_H

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

I finally got to shop at the Penny Store!!!!!  YEAST!!

Your yeast will keep forever in the freezer. Just be careful about moisture transfer. Picked up a pound from Costco at least 5 yrs ago and still good way out of date. Sent out packets to a dozen needing yeast during lock-down. Enough for a dozen loaves.

This load is dated 11-5. I seem to be ordering every 10-12 days. Misfits. Squashes, fruit, lemons, even cilantro still good. Managing no waste by using up what goes fast and planning ahead. The mayo is 'penny store'. Yikes, 32 oz.(!?). We usually just pick up a tiny Hellman's  for the holiday turkey sandwiches and crab cakes, etc. 

Pics are so helpful rather than digging through the crisper trying to remember what I have. I'm making a chicken/bone stock tonight heavy on the veg. Leek tops, that giant foot long yellow carrot. Onions, celery, etc. Ham and bean soup for dinner, then freeze the rest of the stock for the holidays. Mirepoix needed for the soup--- I will triple that and freeze a quart zip-lock for the thanksgiving dressing/stuffing using the garden herbs still alive. (no frost yet). 

Bummer my delivery last night was the other second party delivery service. Impossible to track. One box was so light. Not sure why using two boxes was decided. They just introduced cheese and butter last week.. Vermont creamery and a few other grass-feed treats. All around 8oz and 3-5 bucks. Perfect for the holidays. I have 8 varieties of cheese, butter, cottage cheese, and sour cream coming but it is official. Lost in transit. The delivery last night sat for how long?. Never a message it was here. Fed-x is always on time. Easy to track. These second party delivery dough heads are so sloppy. 

Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 11.53.16 AM.png

Annie_H

Annie_H

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

I finally got to shop at the Penny Store!!!!!  YEAST!!

Your yeast will keep forever in the freezer. Just be careful about moisture transfer. Picked up a pound from Costco at least 5 yrs ago and still good way out of date. Sent out packets to a dozen needing yeast during lock-down. Enough for a dozen loaves.

This load is dated 11-5. I seem to be ordering every 10-12 days. Misfits. Squashes, fruit, lemons, even cilantro still good. Managing no waste by using up what goes fast and planning ahead. The mayo is 'penny store'. Yikes, 32 oz.(!?). We usually just pick up a tiny Hellman's  for the holiday turkey sandwiches and crab cakes, etc. 

Pics are so helpful rather than digging through the crisper trying to remember what I have. I'm making a chicken/bone stock tonight heavy on the veg. Leek tops, that giant foot long yellow carrot. Onions, celery, etc. Ham and bean soup for dinner, then freeze the rest of the stock for the holidays. Mirepoix needed for the soup--- I will triple that and freeze a quart zip-lock for the thanksgiving dressing/stuffing using the garden herbs still alive. (no frost yet). 

Bummer my delivery last night was the other second party delivery service. Impossible to track. One box was so light. Not sure why using two boxes was decided. They just introduced cheese and butter last week.. Vermont creamery and a few other grass-feed treats. All around 8oz and 3-5 bucks. Perfect for the holidays. I have 8 varieties of cheese, butter, cottage cheese, and sour cream coming but it is official. Lost in transit. The delivery last night sat for how long?. Never a message it was here. Fed-x is always on time. Easy to track. These dough heads are so sloppy. 

Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 11.53.16 AM.png