• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow

I don't know why I read this thread. I don't get any CSA or boxed veg/fruits delivered and I am pretty sure now, after looking at the many items received in a box, that I would be responsible for more waste rather than less by participating. Dandelion greens would stupefy me. That tiny little celeriac, after peeling, looks like it would make enough Celery Root Remoulade for half a portion. One fennel isn't usually enough for a two-person salad in our house. Also I guess I'm not that creative a cook, or I don't have enough pantry supplies to make up the difference. Just the thought of trying to use items I wouldn't buy makes me want to take an Ativan. I'm a planner; like a week's worth of meals. I'm also blessed with a husband who seems happy to mask up and shop with a list, mostly because he himself designed the list according to how he moves through the aisles at our favorite store. And now we've both had all our vaccines! Very grateful for that. Being over 65 has its benefits, once in a blue moon.

Also I'm grateful that the places we shop here in the East Bay are consistently careful about how many shoppers are allowed in at a time as well as providing sanitizer at checkout. My daughter, who lives in Decatur, outside of Atlanta, is only a few minutes drive from one of the greatest markets I've ever been in, tells me they don't shop there now, since the place doesn't regulate anything and it's a madhouse, like it's always been.

Oh, and why am I writing an essay on a Sunday morning when a fat New York Times usually takes up most of the day? Because it wasn't delivered. Oooh I'm grouchy.

Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow

I don't know why I read this thread. I don't get any CSA or boxed veg/fruits delivered and I am pretty sure now, after looking at the many items received in a box, that I would be responsible for more waste rather than less by participating. Dandelion greens would stupefy me. That tiny little celeriac, after peeling, looks like it would make enough Celery Root Remoulade for half a portion. One fennel isn't usually enough for a two-person salad in our house. Also I guess I'm not that creative a cook, or I don't have enough pantry supplies to make up the difference. Just the thought of trying to use items I wouldn't buy makes me want to take an Ativan. I'm a planner; like a week's worth of meals. I'm also blessed with a husband who seems happy to mask up and shop with a list, mostly because he himself designed the list according to how he moves through the aisles at our favorite store. And now we've both had all our vaccines! Very grateful for that. Being over 65 has its benefits, once in a blue moon.

Also I'm grateful that the places we shop here in the East Bay are consistently careful about how many shoppers are allowed in at a time as well as providing sanitizer at checkout. My daughter, who lives in Decatur, outside of Atlanta, is only a few minutes drive from one of the greatest markets I've ever been in, tells me they don't shop there now, since the place doesn't regulate anything and it's a madhouse, like it's always been.