• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

9 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

Great idea, so I stole it: I made Julia's potato leek soup for dinner last night. Thanks!

It's such a great soup, and perhaps the simplest soup to make. Other than that old classic - stone soup.

For today's order we decided to see if they would omit the insulated packaging here during the winter, at least for items that really didn't need it. Well... no.

That is two tiny bagged salads sitting on an ice pack that weighed more than they did, and all wrapped up in a bubblewrap and mylar pouch that would have been large enough for my entire order and then some. That pouch was just sitting on the bottom, under all of the non-refrigerated items:

Amazing, right? They're far from the only company not engaging in minimizing shipping costs; like even when I implore upon Amazon I can wait and to ship everything at one time, I'll often get 4 different packages shipped to me from the same order. Four shipping boxes or envelopes and four full shipping costs.

It's obviously at the bottom of their lists.

Which included a shallot that was nearly as large as the onions:

DSC_7717.jpg

The giant jalapeño's cousin.  I too get these monster-sized shallots (like 4 or 5 to a pound), which appear to be grown in the US. We grow 'em bigger here!!

On the (now rare) occasion when I can find shallots from France, they're the "normal" sized ones we were used to seeing back in the day.

weinoo

weinoo

Great idea, so I stole it: I made Julia's potato leek soup for dinner last night. Thanks!

It's such a great soup, and perhaps the simplest soup to make. Other than that old classic - stone soup.

8 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

For today's order we decided to see if they would omit the insulated packaging here during the winter, at least for items that really didn't need it. Well... no.

That is two tiny bagged salads sitting on an ice pack that weighed more than they did, and all wrapped up in a bubblewrap and mylar pouch that would have been large enough for my entire order and then some. That pouch was just sitting on the bottom, under all of the non-refrigerated items:

Amazing, right? They're far from the only company not engaging in minimizing shipping costs; like even when I implore upon Amazon I can wait and to ship everything at one time, I'll often get 4 different packages shipped to me from the same order. Four shipping boxes or envelopes and four full shipping costs.

It's obviously at the bottom of their lists.

Which included a shallot that was nearly as large as the onions:

DSC_7717.jpg

The giant jalapeños cousin.  I too get these monster-sized shallots (like 4 or 5 to a pound), which appear to be grown in the US. We grow 'em bigger here!!

On the (now rare) occasion when I can find shallots from France, they're the "normal" sized ones we were used to seeing back in the day.