• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sugar Free Chocolate...found one!

ChocoMom

If anyone is looking for a palatable SF chocolate that is easy to work with, I just tried out the Felchlin Milk Chocolate SF and the 62% Dark chocolate SF.  Goodness gracious!  We have a winner!  Well, two winners.   

One of the pharmacists I work with is diabetic, and asked if I could make some milk chocolate ones for her. She didn't want any flavors added, so I just a made a nice soft ganache with heavy cream and butter.  I added just a pinch of espresso powder and vanilla bean to the cream just for a slight difference in flavor from the shell. I also have a dear friend who wanted SF milk chocolate so she got some out of the batch, as well.  And, she wanted dark chocolate SF for her sisters. I added a bit of peppermint oil and creme de menthe flavoring to the DC ganache. So, it's a chocolate mint but a very pleasant- not over powering one.   

As far as casting the moulds, the viscosity of the chocolate was fantastic.  I cast each one twice because the first layer looked very thin.  They both took on the colored cocoa butter perfectly.  All of the pieces released, with no problem. 

I'll see about adding pics when I have a minute.  Really just wanted to let you all know that the Felchlin is outstanding if you're in the market for a good tasting SF.

• Like 3

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

3 hours ago, ChocoMom said:

If anyone is looking for a palatable SF chocolate that is easy to work with, I just tried out the Felchlin Milk Chocolate SF and the 62% Dark chocolate SF.  Goodness gracious!  We have a winner!  Well, two winners.   

One of the pharmacists I work with is diabetic, and asked if I could make some milk chocolate ones for her. She didn't want any flavors added, so I just a made a nice soft ganache with heavy cream and butter.  I added just a pinch of espresso powder and vanilla bean to the cream just for a slight difference in flavor from the shell. I also have a dear friend who wanted SF milk chocolate so she got some out of the batch, as well.  And, she wanted dark chocolate SF for her sisters. I added a bit of peppermint oil and creme de menthe flavoring to the DC ganache. So, it's a chocolate mint but a very pleasant- not over powering one.   

As far as casting the moulds, the viscosity of the chocolate was fantastic.  I cast each one twice because the first layer looked very thin.  They both took on the colored cocoa butter perfectly.  All of the pieces released, with no problem. 

I'll see about adding pics when I have a minute.  Really just wanted to let you all know that the Felchlin is outstanding if you're in the market for a good tasting SF.

Good to know. I have a couple of friends that are diabetic and keep asking me to make sugar free bon bons.  I had looked  at Felchlin and was considering it.