• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confections packaging

SweetandSnappyJen

Hi Folks -

I'm knee-deep in shipping holiday bonbon packages, and have gotten the feedback that the individual pieces are turning over during the shipping process. Not great!  I know the high-end retailers have custom boxes and trays made, I get mine from gogo pak and make my own sleeves for the boxes. I use this box, a pad, a piece of paper and sticker to secure them,  and this tray, which I now see has a little room at the top, for the movement. Does anyone have any tips to prevent this, or have any ideas as to where to find inexpensive yet attractive packaging where this would not happen?

Thanks so much!

Jen

1 hour ago, SweetandSnappyJen said:

Hi Folks -

I'm knee-deep in shipping holiday bonbon packages, and have gotten the feedback that the individual pieces are turning over during the shipping process. Not great!  I know the high-end retailers have custom boxes and trays made, I get mine from gogo pak and make my own sleeves for the boxes. I use this box, a pad, a piece of paper and sticker to secure them,  and this tray, which I now see has a little room at the top, for the movement. Does anyone have any tips to prevent this, or have any ideas as to where to find inexpensive yet attractive packaging where this would not happen?

Thanks so much!

Jen

I have had the same issue, so I add waxed paper (or similar flexible paper or bubble wrap will work) between the top of the chocolates and the pad.  Chocolates are sturdier than they look, so I make sure I fill up the space as much as possible so that there is as little wiggle room for them as possible.

aspecialtybox.com has bon-bon trays with a clear protective cover that fits right over the top of the bon bons.  I've used them in the past for the spheres, but not all that practical if you're doing different shapes.  Worth checking out though. 

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

4 hours ago, SweetandSnappyJen said:

@jim D. Thanks so much for that tip!  It works like a charm!  I'm trying to figure out a way to make it look attractive, but it definitely fixes the issue. Thanks!

You could get colored tissue paper, which might look a bit better.  As you said you include a pad, which I do as well, I assume people will realize the extra paper is for protective reasons only and probably throw it away.

• 1 year later...
10 hours ago, no10 said:

On a somewhat related topic, how do you all prevent scuffing on the surface of your bon bons during transit? Does tightly packing with candy pads work?

See my post from Dec. 9, 2020 (above in this thread).  The addition of waxed paper plus bubble wrap seems to work.  But, considering the chocolates will be subjected to many adverse conditions, most of which we cannot control, I am sure their appearance suffers a bit.  But even a friend (who is sometimes more honest than I wish) tells me exact details of how the chocolates look after a trip from Virginia to Palm Springs, California, and she reports very few issues (in one case a tall pyramid mold lost the very tip of the pyramid in transit--note to self: even though you like the pyramid, don't use it when shipping).

• Like 1