Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Gingerbread House for 2020


gulfporter
 Share

Recommended Posts

If ever a year needed a holiday boost, it's 2020.  It's been a tough year for all of us.  Maybe this gingerbread house recipe is the inspiration everyone needs to make the 2020 holiday season joyous and memorable.
 

  🎄

   

Even though some of us find baking a challenge, this gingerbread house is a labor of love that you can take pride in, something you will want to share with others at this time of year.  

 

🎅

 

This recipe can take two weeks to prepare and fully decorate, so you may want to start this wonderful project early.  That way you can include a picture of it in your Christmas cards or attach it to the online holiday greetings you send to family and friends.  
 

 

👼

   

This gingerbread house does require some hard-to-find ingredients, specialized kitchen equipment and a bit of culinary finesse.  But isn't 2020 the year for us to go outside of our creative comfort zones??  Your family and friends will be so impressed; their compliments will make your effort and hard work all worthwhile!
 
 
I already made this treat (and yes, it took me the better part of two weekends), but you can see why it is the perfect gingerbread house for 2020.
 

gingerbread.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ha! Maybe this is the year to build the gingerbread house of the future in a positive way ;). I love them, As a teen I made one for the Pediatric ward. Back in the day when home made treats were allowed. It was for Cgristma deco not really for eatig though all edible.  Reinvent the world via gingerbread.  2 priors 

 

 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, heidih said:

Ha! Maybe this is the year to build the gingerbread house of the future in a positive way ;). I love them, As a teen I made one for the Pediatric ward. Back in the day when home made treats were allowed. It was for Cgristma deco not really for eatig though all edible.  Reinvent the world via gingerbread.  2 priors 

 

 

That top one I made sadly didn't survive one winter. I didn't store it properly and humidity got to it and the darn thing fell apart. But I've got a new one I built three years ago I'm still adding on to and will post it here when I get some photos. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, gulfporter said:
If ever a year needed a holiday boost, it's 2020.  It's been a tough year for all of us.  Maybe this gingerbread house recipe is the inspiration everyone needs to make the 2020 holiday season joyous and memorable.
 

  🎄

   

Even though some of us find baking a challenge, this gingerbread house is a labor of love that you can take pride in, something you will want to share with others at this time of year.  

 

🎅

 

This recipe can take two weeks to prepare and fully decorate, so you may want to start this wonderful project early.  That way you can include a picture of it in your Christmas cards or attach it to the online holiday greetings you send to family and friends.  
 

 

👼

   

This gingerbread house does require some hard-to-find ingredients, specialized kitchen equipment and a bit of culinary finesse.  But isn't 2020 the year for us to go outside of our creative comfort zones??  Your family and friends will be so impressed; their compliments will make your effort and hard work all worthwhile!
 
 
I already made this treat (and yes, it took me the better part of two weekends), but you can see why it is the perfect gingerbread house for 2020.
 

gingerbread.jpg

That's was I call Christmas past and Christmas future. 2020 is toast. And so will this house be.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In happier years our library would hold an annual gingerbread house contest, with the stipulation the gingerbread house be inspired by a work of literature.

 

My favorite was a little girl who based her gingerbread creation upon Emily Dickinson's Because I Could Not Stop for Death:

 

We paused before a House that seemed

A Swelling of the Ground --

The Roof was scarcely visible --

The Cornice -- in the Ground --

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/8/2020 at 4:21 PM, David Ross said:

That top one I made sadly didn't survive one winter. I didn't store it properly and humidity got to it and the darn thing fell apart. But I've got a new one I built three years ago I'm still adding on to and will post it here when I get some photos. 

 

 

David, how do you store them? We might be inclined to try.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, kayb said:

 

David, how do you store them? We might be inclined to try.

Now I put them in a cardboard box and keep the top open.  I put the "fake snow," aka, cotton, on top for some protection, and put it on a top shelf in a closet.  It does pretty good structurally, although each year I have a few candies I need to replace/repair.  What happened with the really nice gingerbread house is I put it in one of those large plastic storage tubs and put on the top, but stored it in the garage. We get very cold weather in the winters, hot in the summers, so I think the poor thing just wilted and collapsed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...