• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cream Cheese Slices

gulfporter

Never saw these in US and happened upon them yesterday in our Mexican village, for the first time.  We had actually gotten some real (boiled) bagels earlier this week from a local baker and so I thought, hmmmmm, maybe these cream cheese slices will make my morning breakfast a tad easier???

Easier, maybe.  But the mouth feel was gelatinous and the flavor, barely there. 

I was unable to get a 'hit' when I searched for a US equivalent.  But if Kraft the parent of Philadelphia cream cheese, starts marketing these in the US, Stay Away!!!

Oddly on menus here, if there is queso de crema (cream cheese) in an item, it is ALWAYS printed as, Filadelfia.  Just Filadelfia.  They don't say queso de crema after it.  It is a brand name that in Mexico has become the term for the generic item..  

PS: Found this article about filadelfia in Spain.  It's a great read with quotes from chef Jose' Andres. https://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/06/style/tmagazine/filadelfia-story.html

cream cheese slices.jpg

Edited by gulfporter (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, gulfporter said:

Never saw these in US and happened upon them yesterday in our Mexican village, for the first time.  We had actually gotten some real (boiled) bagels earlier this week from a local baker and so I thought, hmmmmm, maybe these cream cheese slices will make my morning breakfast a tad easier???

Easier, maybe.  But the mouth feel was gelatinous and the flavor, barely there. 

I was unable to get a 'hit' when I searched for a US equivalent.  But if Kraft the parent of Philadelphia cream cheese, starts marketing these in the US, Stay Away!!!

Oddly on menus here, if there is queso de crema (cream cheese) in an item, it is ALWAYS printed as, Filadelfia.  Just Filadelfia.  They don't say queso de crema after it.  It is a brand name that in Mexico has become the term for the generic item..  

PS: Found this article about filadelfia in Spain.  It's a great read with quotes from chef Jose' Andres. https://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/06/style/tmagazine/filadelfia-story.html

cream cheese slices.jpg

Thank you for taking one for the team and for the warning.

Sorry you had to be subjected to it! :(

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver