• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chocolate won't temper

I have a Chocovision Revolation V tempering machine and about 5 lbs of left over Callebaut Dark, Recipe 811 chocolate that is not in temper.  I used the chocolate to make some chocolate covered cherries the other day and they all, almost immediately, bloomed.  So I did some reading and decided to try a tempering test.  Using the crystallization chart on the side of the Callebaut bag as a guide I set my machine to have a melt temperature of 118 degrees, a delta temp of 80.6 degree, and a temper temperature of 89 degrees.  The room was about 72 degrees and the humidity was about 60%.  I ran the machine through its tempering cycle, melt to 118, cool to 80.6, and warm to 89 all the while being stirred, and then took samples of the chocolate.  I did not use any ‘seed’ chocolate during this process.  I realize using seed may have been more successful but based on my understanding of the melting and formation of cocoa butter crystals I shouldn’t have to.  I sampled the chocolate as soon as the machine said it was in temper, at 5 minutes post temper and at 10 minutes.  I spread the samples on parchment on a granite counter top.  The samples took longer to set than I think they should have, I’m talking like 10 – 15 minutes, and, in a short while, they bloomed.  By the way: as check I used another accurate thermometer to check the temperature of the chocolate at the 3 stages and the machine and the thermometer were within a few tenths of a degrees of each other.  So, what’s the problem?  Why did this chocolate not temper?

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Then maybe turn it down to 77 so there is enough time for the form IV and V crystals to form before it heats back up again. 

This is one of the things I've been doing. Once I realized where the thermometer probe was I realized that not all of the chocolate was at temp. So I drop an additional degree and manually test at my spout and also center of the pool. With those three probe points I have confidence that I've hit temp.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback.  Seems the chocolate was not spending enough time down about the 80 degree mark.  I re-tempered the batch, without seed, and let it stay down there for 20 minutes then increased the temp to about 89.  The chocolate tempered as expected.

• Like 1