• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Borgeat Black Steel Pans

Jon Savage

Apologies if this or similar has been posted before. Mods please move accordingly if my search missed something.

That being said I LOVE borgeat black steel pans. It equals my Darto love actually.

Backstory is I needed to replace a ~35 year old teflon pan used mostly for camping was still mostly non stick but had become unfun as in very convex bottom which was fraught w/ hassles to cook with (why yes we take cooking while camping as seriously as @ home).. 

So there we were, my Beloved & I needing to replace the old frying pan from the camping box but destined for the tiny travel trailer of my beloved's years long dreams (spoiler we finally bought said trailer a few months ago).

I considered darto which I love but instead decided on an 8" 5/8" Matfer Bourgeat; I liked the angles on the sides & at that price ~$30.- it also was a trivial (for us = privileged).

The Matfer seasoned up really nicely; just a few coats **seriously thin** of rice bran oil to season until smoking; rinse repeat etc. YMMV - people do also prefer both other fats & seasoning methods that work just as well.as this one does.

That pan now makes:

Perfect crepes

Over easy or also SSI eggs, omelets & such = slick as snot that pan 

After all that noise the only thing I'd change on  their pans would be both the edge chamfer & taper on their handles. Full Stop. 

Also have I mentioned that the pan in question lives both in the kitchen & also in the camping kit? It was

Too good to leave in the trailer.

JS

Ciao a dopo

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

It is a small pan- think an egg or two at most or instead maybe one medium Russet Potato cubed.

It isn't large but I suspect the same qualities exist  throughout their range of products. I only bought what I needed since I neither have the money nor the Desire to acquire their whole range of pans.

Edited by Jon Savage
spelling (log)
  • Thanks 1

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

not to mention that if you're taking a pan camping, a large skillet is going to be something of a pain. i have a tiny one, probably six inches? that i use for frying 1 - 2 eggs. works a treat (i should mention i don't take it camping, though).

Edited by jimb0 (log)