• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your favorite mushroom dishes

helenas

Any good soup. I learned about mushrooms through Ratner's Mushroom Barley. I also love a good cream of mushroom.

Mushrooms on toast in cream sauce. The ultimate mushroom dish. I don't care if the mushrooms are domestic buttons or foraged king boletes, so long as they are fungi delecti.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

A plate of perfectly grilled porcini with olive oil, salt and pepper...preferably following an order of fried zucchini blossoms after the Sant'Ambrogio market has closed for the day and there's a beautiful thin cake or two to choose between on the stand behind glass near the front door.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

1) Risotto ai funghi (mushrooms risotto): porcini only or mixed mushrooms with dried porcini.

2) fried porcini but I haven't got a recipe

3) sandwich whith: champignon (cooked with oli and garlic), prosciutto cotto (I don't knw if the correct translation is "city ham") and maionese

3) grilled pleurotus

Fresh pasta, esp. tagliatelle or papardelle, with wild mushrooms (chaunterelle, lobster, or money permitting, porcini).

Savory Mushroom Tarte from Seasons of the Italian Kitchen by Diane Darrow and Tom Maresca.

I've just gotten into marinating shitake (shiitake? shitaake?) mushrooms in olive oil for about an hour, then tossing 'em on the grill.

And, I must again rant: my biggest pet peeve is seeing a "wild mushroom" dish on a restaurant menu and it winds up being cremini or portabello . . . :angry::angry::angry:

Sautéed creminis (or button mushrooms) and shallots in butter, pinch of thyme leaves, splash of dry sherry, bit of cream, s&p to taste. Great alongside a perfectly grilled steak.

Something I look forward to every summer is fresh huitlacoche (aka cuitlacoche, corn mushroom). We grow corn and there are always a few ears that sprout this delicacy. I love huitlacoche quesadillas. Sliced and cooked with some minced onion or shallot and salt until just tender, not mushy. Place filling between flour tortillas, fold, and brown lightly in a skillet; has a really wonderful mushroom flavor.

~Amy

And, I must again rant: my biggest pet peeve is seeing a "wild mushroom" dish on a restaurant menu and it winds up being cremini or portabello . . .

in some recipes they suggest to mix wild mushrooms with some plain ones to stretch the amount but i find this just dilutes the flavor.

mini portobellos or even button mushrooms,

caps stuffed with mixture made of:

thoroughly sauteed onions+ginger+garlic+chopped almonds or cashews

spiced with cumin-coriander powder+garam masala + turmeric + red chili + salt.

brush liberally with butter or ghee and broil till done.

very nice appetizer.

milagai

• 2 weeks later...

Tempura battered Maitake (Hen of the Woods) splashed with lemon juice

Foil wrapped/roasted Matsutake (Pine) with butter, garlic and lemon.....20 minutes in a 500 degree oven.....delicious

Parasol Mushroom Grilled Mini-Pizza's-Make your favourite pizza, use parasol mushrooms for the crust.

Edited by fungi_provider (log)

Here's what I do with shitakes (though I'm sure it would be great with any meaty, flavorful mushroom):

Get the cast-iron skillet cranking hot on the stove, and preheat oven to 500 (or higher if you can!)

Toss sliced mushrooms with PLENTY of evoo and salt

Put them in the hot skillet and immediately put the skillet in the oven for 10 minutes or so -- until the mushrooms are a beautiful golden brown in the skillet.

Then return the skillet to the stove, add enough water to deglaze and reduce with the evoo into a savory sauce.

Finish with a squeeze of lemon.

I usually serve these on a bed of arugula, but they're great on toast, tossed with pasta, etc. Sometimes I add finely chopped garlic and parsley at the end for a fresh burst of flavor. Also great with shaved parmesan.

I have to say my personal favorites are Black Trumpets. Dried or fresh, they are so amazingly pungent. The dried ones are great in risotto.

This week I tried a new sort of trumpet mushrooms. They grew in clumps and had very long stems, almost like enoki. I think they might have been Pleurotus elongatipes. Really tasty in a stir fry.

The other new and exciting mushroom this last week at the farmer's market were called flamingo trumpets. Has anyone tried these? They were shaped like regular trumpets; but, were a delicate pink almost like rose petals.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA