• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using Buttermilk Powder & Heated Milk in Corn Muffin Recipe

Shel_B

I have a favorite ATK recipe for corn muffins which involves heating corn meal with milk in the microwave.  

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/8205-savory-corn-muffins

If you can't access the ATK recipe for any reason, shoot me a PM and I'll send it to you.

I would like to add some buttermilk flavor and tang to these muffins, but I understand that buttermilk cannot be heated as the milk is in this recipe ... buttermilk will break or curdle when heated,  Could I add some buttermilk powder to the milk to good effect, or maybe to the corn meal/milk mixture after it's heated?

Any other ideas for getting some buttermilk flavor into this recipe?  Thanks!

• Like 2

... Shel

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

I agree with @ElsieD!  Nice to "see" you.  I use the buttermilk powder a lot and I think it could be added to the dry cornmeal and then heated without any problems.  After all the powder is heated in the muffins eventually, right?

Nice to see your smiling pixels, too.  Hope you've been well.

Your suggestion sounds easy enough.  

Any particular brand of buttermilk powder that you prefer?

• Like 1

... Shel

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Hi @Shel_B .  I don't have the answer to your question, i just want to say it's nice to hear from you.

Nice to "see"  you, too.  Hope things are going well for you.

• Like 1

... Shel

I think I would try mixing the buttermilk powder with the dry ingredients and use water for the heated cornmeal / wet ingredients part of things. Not based on any expertise, just how I would try it.

• Like 1

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

3 hours ago, Shel_B said:

Nice to see your smiling pixels, too.  Hope you've been well.

Your suggestion sounds easy enough.  

Any particular brand of buttermilk powder that you prefer?

Thank you!  The only kind the stores here sell is Saco.  It's been fine for me.  

I have used Saco in the past.  I mix the powder in with the dry ingredients and the water you would normally use to reconstitute it replaces some or all of the liquid called for in the recipe.  Works like a charm.

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

I have used Saco in the past.  I mix the powder in with the dry ingredients and the water you would normally use to reconstitute it replaces some or all of the liquid called for in the recipe.  Works like a charm.

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Thank you!  The only kind the stores here sell is Saco.  It's been fine for me.  

Saco seems to be the most readily available powder here, at least I recognize the container.  Thinking of just using the amount of milk called for in the recipe, adding some buttermilk powder to the corn meal, and heating it as usual.  Since this idea involves some guesswork, I'll start with the most minimal change and go from there.

Thanks for all your help.  I'll let you know how it all turns out.

• Like 3

... Shel