• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hanukkah 2020...and now 2021...and continued pandemic adjustments....

heidih

59 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

A million years ago Rachel Perlow came up with a recipe for latkes that used both russets and yukons. Very good. It's probably on eG somewhere.

Are you perhaps thinking of this?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, mgaretz said:

Hanukkah dinner: Tri-tip with TJ's latkes and steamed carrots in honey and cumin.

tri-tip-latkes.jpg.cc7c6418d71e0d1f875776c68cbf5541.jpg

Speaking of carrots and cumin, I love roasted carrots with cumin (the aroma as they roast is just amazing). The last time I made them, I couldn't find my cumin and ended up using a leftover half-package of taco seasoning. Worked in a pinch and wasn't overbearing. Didn't need to add salt as the taco seasoning had plenty.

Your dinner looks delicious!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Latkes (levivot in Hebrew). I make mine with shredded potatoes and some onions, salted and squeezed, microwaved to par-cook. Adding eggs, sugar, matzo crumbs, starch, pepper. Double fried so that they are extra crisp, but more importantly, fast to serve.

Served with brown sugar (which I like to add some salt to, then sprinkle on the latkes). Sour cream. And encouraged by the love of latkes apple sauce displayed by others in this thread, I made some lightly cooked apples with a bit of sugar and nutmeg. I will probably never love apple sauce, but this works quite nice.

Here's the first batch.

PXL_20201211_192447366.jpg

• Like 9

~ Shai N.

14 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

I remember the recipe being simpler, and specifying the use of both russet and yukons, grated together.

I am guessing then it is over my search grade.

But I did find this nugget of wisdom from Rachel:

“Hand grating adds nothing to the latkes except the occasional bits of skin and blood. And bragging/martyrdom rights.”

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Strange question: I have potatoes, I have onion.  I have no eggs.  We don't keep eggs in the house.  Around me, the cost of eggs is seemingly ridiculous compared to what I remember in the supermarkets as a child.  Any thoughts on what I can use as a binder to replace the eggs?  I have an old packet of methylcellulose F50 (or something like that - it hasn't been used in forever so it is buried somewhere) that I once used as a binder for some kind of fried meatball thing that worked pretty well.  Any other thoughts?

29 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Strange question: I have potatoes, I have onion.  I have no eggs.  We don't keep eggs in the house.  Around me, the cost of eggs is seemingly ridiculous compared to what I remember in the supermarkets as a child.  Any thoughts on what I can use as a binder to replace the eggs?  I have an old packet of methylcellulose F50 (or something like that - it hasn't been used in forever so it is buried somewhere) that I once used as a binder for some kind of fried meatball thing that worked pretty well.  Any other thoughts?

I recently used no eggs, just salt and Wondra, and they stuck together fine. But It was not the more solid latke as is traditional.  More a cake version of a hash brown, I guess.

But they did cohere without eggs.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I recently used no eggs, just salt and Wondra, and they stuck together fine. But It was not the more solid latke as is traditional.  More a cake version of a hash brown, I guess.

But they did cohere without eggs.

What is your method for the lacy, airy batch you posted upthread?

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

Just now, Margaret Pilgrim said:

What is your method for the lacy, airy batch you posted upthread?

Yes, but over on the dinner thread, I think.

Russets, shredded, soaked, wrung, salted and wondra-ed, then tossed a bit to mix....sat 10 minutes then loaded onto a spatula and slid into peanut oil.  I arranged the potatoes briefly and flipped when side 1 was done.

Oh, and I had slivers of yellow onion and a good shot of onion powder (thanks @mgaretz) in there too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

All these beautiful latkes! Still need to have some latkes with dinner or lunch; I have some of the Trader Joe's latkes in the freezer.

After watching Chris' video I thought, why not try making sufganiyot / doughnuts! So, my first try making doughnuts. I had to cut a few open to see if they were cooked through and figure out how long to cook them. These were delicious and even taste good a few days after frying. The sufganiyot were filled with strawberry jam and dusted with 10x sugar. Sorry for the poor photo quality. Happy Hanukkah!

1933324987_IMG_6474-2020December10-sufganiyot.jpg.4641a0a6c69ad5448f5d02b88f36b4bb.jpg  1587252162_IMG_6476-2020December10-sufganiyot.jpg.9769dcfb69102b62a475a726e046207e.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

14 hours ago, shain said:

Latkes (levivot in Hebrew). I make mine with shredded potatoes and some onions, salted and squeezed, microwaved to par-cook. Adding eggs, sugar, matzo crumbs, starch, pepper. Double fried so that they are extra crisp, but more importantly, fast to serve.

Served with brown sugar (which I like to add some salt to, then sprinkle on the latkes). Sour cream. And encouraged by the love of latkes apple sauce displayed by others in this thread, I made some lightly cooked apples with a bit of sugar and nutmeg. I will probably never love apple sauce, but this works quite nice.

Here's the first batch.

PXL_20201211_192447366.jpg

Those are gorgeous. Makes me want to get up and make some, right now.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 11 months later...

We voted to skip it this year since the holiday started days after Thanksgiving, too much family time. We light candles and that is pretty much it. Since Mom is the designated latke maker, will miss them this year.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde