• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hanukkah 2020...and now 2021...and continued pandemic adjustments....

heidih

I don’t fry. Mom’s latkes will be missed, she makes them with shredded potatoes so they get awesome crispy edges. In fact, when she makes them in advance for transport to our dinner, I put them single layer on sheet pans to reheat and get even crispier. I may try to make oven baked version.

• Like 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Oy vey!!

Chinese food?

When is it not a good excuse for Chinese food? But I don't know if we'll have time to go down to Chinatown this year - plus, it's not the most pleasant outdoor dining weather unless the wind dies down and I don't know if Wu's installed any heaters in their outdoor space.

I may just have to break out the cuisinart with the shredder blade to make some latkes.... I haven't made them in a long time.  I also have a lot of excess duck fat from all the confit I've been making... and a new, nicely seasoned cast iron griddle.... hmmm...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I may just have to break out the cuisinart with the shredder blade to make some latkes.... I haven't made them in a long time.  I also have a lot of excess duck fat from all the confit I've been making... and a new, nicely seasoned cast iron griddle.... hmmm...

I think you answered your own question there!  Pics anticipated.

• Like 1

I sent my step brother the Trader Joes and air fryer idea and shockingly got this back (his words in italics) I have been missing out all these years

I make great latkes or potato pancakes what you do for every potato medium to large,you use  you peel it shred it add one egg
Tsp of salt and 1 tablespoon of flour for each potato you’re going to use little more than less .  Mix all ingredients well then  get your oil nice and hot

My two ways of doing this. This is where technique comes in.
I grab a big tablespoon full and drop it easily into the hot oil for pancake style press down with their spatula when it gets brown turnover brown the other side and they’re done and delicious the other way is to pick up a big tablespoon full with your fingers and kind of drop them in so they make like a spider shape and leave them like that can you get a lot of crispy and that’s the way I like them

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, heidih said:

I make great latkes or potato pancakes what you do for every potato medium to large,you use  you peel it shred it add one egg
Tsp of salt and 1 tablespoon of flour for each potato you’re going to use little more than less .  Mix all ingredients well then  get your oil nice and hot

No onion?

I used to grate potatoes and onions by hand and squeeze them to make latkes.  Then I started using a food processor.  Then I started buying frozen hash browns to use as a base.  Same results with a lot less work and mess.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

5 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

No onion?

I used to grate potatoes and onions by hand and squeeze them to make latkes.  Then I started using a food processor.  Then I started buying frozen hash browns to use as a base.  Same results with a lot less work and mess.

I never thought of using frozen hash browns as a base... hmmmm....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

No onion?

What do you add to the hash browns?

8 hours ago, BeeZee said:

I don’t fry. Mom’s latkes will be missed, she makes them with shredded potatoes so they get awesome crispy edges. In fact, when she makes them in advance for transport to our dinner, I put them single layer on sheet pans to reheat and get even crispier. I may try to make oven baked version.

Double frying (or fry+bake) is a great technique for latkes - same idea as with french fries. I usually shallow fry. We eat the last couple of batches as is, and the earlier, now cooled batches are pan fried again when desired.

I never had luck with baked latkes. Maybe try baking (with plenty of oil), let them cool, then pan fry with a little oil.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

Shredded potatoes are a must.  Some onion shredded is certainly a good option.  Salted and squeezed is key.  Do you folks prefer yellow potatoes or russets?  Lately I have found russets make the best fries.  I think my uncles (the latke masters) have used yukon golds in the past, though....

I like to try to keep my latkes as thin as possible to get as much crunch factor as I can.  Applesauce should accompany, but that's typically my mom's wheelhouse and I am not sure whether it will make an appearance this year.  Cranberry sauce also works really well.  You can keep the sour cream!

We typically get a large smoked turkey as well to have with the latkes.  I think the turkey will get another pardon this year...

Strange times.  Stay safe!

1 minute ago, TicTac said:

Shredded potatoes are a must.  Some onion shredded is certainly a good option.  Salted and squeezed is key.  Do you folks prefer yellow potatoes or russets?  Lately I have found russets make the best fries.  I think my uncles (the latke masters) have used yukon golds in the past, though....

I like to try to keep my latkes as thin as possible to get as much crunch factor as I can.  Applesauce should accompany, but that's typically my mom's wheelhouse and I am not sure whether it will make an appearance this year.  Cranberry sauce also works really well.  You can keep the sour cream!

I prefer shoe-lice cut over shredded, I also dice the onion finely rather than shred. Salted and squeezed indeed! I used  to let the liquid sit and collect the starch, then figured I can just potato starch from the bag - this also makes the type of potato used less meaningful.

We're not apple sauce lovers here, but recently I figured that diced cooked apples are a good sub which we do enjoy. I'll keep the sour cream if you don't want it :P But admittedly, my favorite way of eating them is still how I used to as a child - with dark brown sugar (and a bit of salt).

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

5 minutes ago, shain said:

I prefer shoe-lice cut over shredded, I also dice the onion finely rather than shred. Salted and squeezed indeed! I used  to let the liquid sit and collect the starch, then figured I can just potato starch from the bag - this also makes the type of potato used less meaningful.

We're not apple sauce lovers here, but recently I figured that diced cooked apples are a good sub which we do enjoy. I'll keep the sour cream if you don't want it :P But admittedly, my favorite way of eating them is still how I used to as a child - with dark brown sugar (and a bit of salt).

Is shoe-lice just long noodle like strands? 

I think it's an Israeli thing.  My mom (from Tel Aviv) also is not a fan of apple sauce, but then again does not like sour cream (where I got my aversion from!) - I will have to ask her if they ever did the brown sugar/salt thing.  Can't be bad!

27 minutes ago, KennethT said:

My parents always served with applesauce, but just the thought of it turns my stomach.  Bad association from taking medicine as a kid - crushed up in applesauce.... ugghh..

yup

meds ruined applesauce (and grape jelly)

plus its too sweet for a savory meal for me

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Is shoe-lice just long noodle like strands? 

I think it's an Israeli thing.  My mom (from Tel Aviv) also is not a fan of apple sauce, but then again does not like sour cream (where I got my aversion from!) - I will have to ask her if they ever did the brown sugar/salt thing.  Can't be bad!

Yes it's thin strands. I think it got common along with food processors that had the function to produce them. I think that they tend to produce a slightly lighter latke, and possibly a bit more crisp (I guess due to reduced cell damage.

Apple sauce is not super popular in Israel, I'm pretty sure that sour cream is the most common dip. Also had them with guacamole once (not bad, but I think a smooth salsa of avocado and sour cream would work better).

As for the sugar topping, I think it's mostly a children thing, but I guess I haven't grown out of it :) Also IMO, it must be dark brown sugar, and only a little. The salt I've only started adding as an adult.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

Regarding applesauce, I found that if using store bought, I prefer to mix half unsweetened/half sweetened. However, I do prefer sour cream, if I have to choose one over the other.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

2 hours ago, mgaretz said:

No onion?

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

I never thought of using frozen hash browns as a base... hmmmm....

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

What do you add to the hash browns?

Stop with the frozen hash browns.

• Haha 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?