• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hanukkah 2020...and now 2021...and continued pandemic adjustments....

heidih

2 hours ago, shain said:

But admittedly, my favorite way of eating them is still how I used to as a child - with dark brown sugar (and a bit of salt).

How many "separated at birth twins" can  one have

• Haha 2

I'm on Team Applesauce as well, though admittedly my homemade is usually quite tart so the whole sweetness-in-a-savory-dish thing doesn't apply.

I'll cheerfully eat sour cream on pretty much any kind of potato, but in this context I like the applesauce better.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

8 hours ago, ElsieD said:

What do you add to the hash browns?

The normal latke ingredients - onion, egg, salt, pepper - normally I don't use any flour though.

Sometimes I cheat even further by adding granulated onion instead of fresh onions.  Really cuts down on the moisture (and mess) and makes the latkes crisp up better.  

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

30 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

The normal latke ingredients - onion, egg, salt, pepper - normally I don't use any flour though.

Sometimes I cheat even further by adding granulated onion instead of fresh onions.  Really cuts down on the moisture (and mess) and makes the latkes crisp up better.  

Not granulated (often seen in rubs) in my cupboard but dried onion is underappreciated in my opinion. 

• Like 1

Strictly applesauce. Sometimes I add a sprinkle of cinnamon and a squeeze of lemon juice. All my hanukkah dinners from childhood involved brisket, so dairy would have been unusual. I associate sour cream on potatoes with diner food. Good, but not latkes.

20 hours ago, mgaretz said:

No onion?

I used to grate potatoes and onions by hand and squeeze them to make latkes.  Then I started using a food processor.  Then I started buying frozen hash browns to use as a base.  Same results with a lot less work and mess.

Do you let them thaw, and then do you need to squeeze any water out of them?

20 hours ago, TicTac said:

Shredded potatoes are a must.  Some onion shredded is certainly a good option.  Salted and squeezed is key.  Do you folks prefer yellow potatoes or russets?  Lately I have found russets make the best fries.  I think my uncles (the latke masters) have used yukon golds in the past, though....

I like to try to keep my latkes as thin as possible to get as much crunch factor as I can.  Applesauce should accompany, but that's typically my mom's wheelhouse and I am not sure whether it will make an appearance this year.  Cranberry sauce also works really well.  You can keep the sour cream!

We typically get a large smoked turkey as well to have with the latkes.  I think the turkey will get another pardon this year...

Strange times.  Stay safe.

I prefer apple butter to applesauce. AND I want sour cream, too. A bite with one, a bite with the other....

And when I have local caviar in the house, as I hope to by NY Day, I make tiny ones, which of course, are topped with sour cream and a dollop of caviar. Sublime with a mimosa.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

16 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Ordering in or going out really cuts down on the mess most of all.

But doesn't all cooking make a mess?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, scamhi said:

we'll be traveling Thursday and I am sure we'll not see Latkes in any form on our dining menu.

going to a goyish golf resort Streamsong in Bowling Green FL. Husband is a player.

In the sport sense :) BUT Dunkin Donuts kinda sorta sufganyot  (road trip or even airport)

• Like 1

Joan Nathan, the author of some of my favorite books about "Jewish" cooking, takes on latkes.

And undoubtedly makes a friggin' mess...

And when I put a morsel in my mouth, I realized that this was the flavorful latke of my dreams.

Because, you know...

...grating the baked and cooled potatoes by hand. My food processor is always on the counter, but I was testing the recipe at my son’s house, where it’s stored in a closet. For four potatoes, I thought, why bother taking it out? Using a box grater carried me back to memories of my mother and my grandmother, who made potato pancakes in a world before the food processor. And holding the baked potato skins protected my fingers against cuts from the grater.

A Genius Method for Making Latkes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

On 12/5/2020 at 5:43 PM, scamhi said:

we'll be traveling Thursday and I am sure we'll not see Latkes in any form on our dining menu.

going to a goyish golf resort Streamsong in Bowling Green FL. Husband is a player.

Streamsong is goyishe in spades. So deep in the Florida wasteland that you lose cellphone and GPS on the way from the airport.  No stores near there either...45 minutes for an advil. Great golf though.  Food is good enough too.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, curls said:

@Chris Henneshow many sufganiyot did the recipe make? Do you think it could be halved?

I think something like 16, and yes, it could be halved as long as your stand mixer can grab onto the small quantity of dough well enough (or you want to mix it by hand).

• Thanks 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

13 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:

I think something like 16, and yes, it could be halved as long as your stand mixer can grab onto the small quantity of dough well enough (or you want to mix it by hand).

Thanks Chris. I guess I could make the full batch and send the extras to the librarians.  🙂

• Haha 1

On 12/6/2020 at 9:39 AM, ambra said:

What an interesting recipe! I will definitely try it. Could you also say what your favorite books are? 

I've owned and have often turned to this book of hers (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) for a long time; it's one of my faves...

image.png.dc922205276feacf0950b96fde665b30.png

And this (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) isn't bad either...

image.png.477c0f52b21cb458fcc5c22f97ce738f.png

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I think yukon golds might result in a better latkeh than russets...perhaps I will experiment more, though I will admit to hating frying foods....

The ice water soak after shredding, pre-ringing out/air drying, seemed to be an improvement in the overall process. 

30 minutes ago, TicTac said:

I think yukon golds might result in a better latkeh than russets...perhaps I will experiment more, though I will admit to hating frying foods....

The ice water soak after shredding, pre-ringing out/air drying, seemed to be an improvement in the overall process. 

A million years ago Rachel Perlow came up with a recipe for latkes that used both russets and yukons. Very good. It's probably on eG somewhere.

• Like 2