• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

MetsFan5

MetsFan5

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

Just dropping to post that the protein for Christmas dinner was roast leg of lamb. After the meal my son-in-law commented that he doesn't actually care for lamb. He thought the lamb was ok. The big shock was that we've served him lamb a few times over the last several years and he's never told us he doesn't care for it. In our family we like knowing food preferences (which he knows) so his never having mentioned it before was a surprise. 

My Sweetie made chunky apple sauce using a recipe where you bake the apples.  It was very good. Everything else was dishes that we all like, including a sesame green bean dish we've done for ren faire for several years but never fixed at home before. 

That’s rough. But at least you asked so you should NOT feel poorly as you asked him. My inlaws know I don’t like turkey. I’m fine with it in a sandwich or only on Thanksgiving but I don’t like it, and didn’t grow up with it. We do steak when my inlaws are here or when they aren’t. My father is allergic to poultry. 

But yes, in normal years I have to eat Turkey for at least a few meals regardless of the holiday.  I usually drop a few lbs during those holidays. 

Edit: I recognize this sounds extreme rude. But I won’t apologize for disliking turkey. It’s boring to me and not part of my childhood experience. 

MetsFan5

MetsFan5

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

Just dropping to post that the protein for Christmas dinner was roast leg of lamb. After the meal my son-in-law commented that he doesn't actually care for lamb. He thought the lamb was ok. The big shock was that we've served him lamb a few times over the last several years and he's never told us he doesn't care for it. In our family we like knowing food preferences (which he knows) so his never having mentioned it before was a surprise. 

My Sweetie made chunky apple sauce using a recipe where you bake the apples.  It was very good. Everything else was dishes that we all like, including a sesame green bean dish we've done for ren faire for several years but never fixed at home before. 

That’s rough. But at least you asked so you should NOT feel poorly as you asked him. My inlaws know I don’t like turkey. I’m fine with it in a sandwich or only on Thanksgiving but I don’t like it, and didn’t grow up with it. We do steak when my inlaws are here or when they aren’t. My father is allergic to poultry. 

But yes, in normal years I have to eat Turkey for at least a few meals regardless of the holiday.  I usually drop a few lbs during those holidays.