• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Countertop ovens for fermentation

bor

Hello - 

I'm experimenting with rye sourdough fermentation processes, which need, depending on the task, maintaining stable temperatures between ~80-200F, for 1-24 hours. I'm currently using my InstaPot for that, and reaching its limits. So, I'm looking for a simple small countertop oven that will let me do what I need - which for some reason appears to be a challenging task... Most won't let me go as low as 80, and those that do are overly sophisticated and expensive (and are limiting in other ways, such as having a maximum time on, and so on).

I'll appreciate any recommendations, hacks, thoughts?

Thank you:)

Edited by Smithy
Corrected title spelling (log)

3 hours ago, bor said:

Hello - 

I'm experimenting with rye sourdough fermentation processes, which need, depending on the task, maintaining stable temperatures between ~80-200F, for 1-24 hours. I'm currently using my InstaPot for that, and reaching its limits. So, I'm looking for a simple small countertop oven that will let me do what I need - which for some reason appears to be a challenging task... Most won't let me go as low as 80, and those that do are overly sophisticated and expensive (and are limiting in other ways, such as having a maximum time on, and so on).

I'll appreciate any recommendations, hacks, thoughts?

Thank you:)

What do you consider overly sophisticated and expensive?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

What do you consider overly sophisticated and expensive?

Having 15+ programs, each with its own preset ranges that can't be overridden? I'd love just to have two knobs, for time and temp...

2 hours ago, teonzo said:

Try giving a look to the world of dehydrators. In which case you need to put your sourdough in a closed box, then put the box in the dehydrator.

Teo

That's a thought - thanks! Off I go

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

What does this do that you couldn't do in an APO?

What's APO?

It keeps a steady (up to 210F, within ~1F) set temperature for a set period of time, for ~$150.

3 hours ago, btbyrd said:

Anova Precision Oven. I took your original post to include the APO as one of the "overly sophisticated and expensive" options if all you're looking for is a proofer.

That oven does precisely what I need! just at X4 price tag:) Next stage I guess

Edited by bor (log)