• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rye bread, anyone?

bor

12 hours ago, weinoo said:

Are they 100% rye, and if so, how do you do the kneading?

Yes, 100%. The dough is consistency of clay, super sticky - especially the scalded dough. There's really no kneading in the same sense as in wheat, just mixing. Mostly with hands with wet latex gloves on

Edited by bor (log)
  • Like 2

Wow, That is a beautiful bread in your avatar. Look forward to learning from you. I know i've been wanting to make a dark rye like that without resorting to lots of colorants like cocoa powder, espresso & molasses as is often recommended.

19 hours ago, AAQuesada said:

Wow, That is a beautiful bread in your avatar. Look forward to learning from you. I know i've been wanting to make a dark rye like that without resorting to lots of colorants like cocoa powder, espresso & molasses as is often recommended.

No colorants:) The darkness comes naturally with some insane biochemistry of rye fermentation which I know little about. Eastern European breads also use great deal of malt rye of different kinds, which affect color too

• Delicious 1

I've been on a rye kick lately, although my attention span is not allowing me to do a starter. I've been using THIS book which is really, really good. I've mostly done my Finnish rye and Icelandic, but lately have been branching out. Most recently a hard apple cider rye. The biggest challenge for me has been remember, as with all bread baking, that flours vary in their milling and dryness. A few adjustments normally gets me back on track.

I started with the same book! But haven't had much luck with it. Most of what I have learned so far is coming from rus brot blog and youtube channel (in Russian). A throve of knowledge, the guy is truly unique. Heavy on technology, but with a specific focus on home baking.

The flours are so variable. I zeroed in on a local (MN) supplier and just use their whole grain flour all the time, adapting all recipes to it.

Host's note: this discussion continues in the Pastry & Baking forum's topic Rye Bread: Tips, Techniques & Recipes, starting here.

Edited by Smithy
Continued topic in a forum that doesn't lock (log)
  • Like 2