• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Orange peels and glacé cherries for baking

Bhukhhad

EGullet people, 

I am not a professional like many of you, and I need your help. This year I wanted to make soaked fruits for proper xmas fruitcake and am looking for citrus peels and cherries that come in red and green colors. 
On most years, right between Halloween and Thanksgiving I used to see mincemeat jars and citrus peel tubs on the Safeway or Nob Hill isles. This ywar I have been looking for them but nothing. I live in North California and having a hard time finding these. 
Do any of you hve any advise? 
Bhukhhad

Don;t know that I have ever seen citrus peels like orange or lemon candied for fruitcake season. Citron however is classic. I scored some lovely stuff years ago at a specialty vendor. Did you mean citron? The one I got had great flavor but not the artificial color. Is it the appearance you are more interested in?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2020 at 2:08 PM, heidih said:

Don;t know that I have ever seen citrus peels like orange or lemon candied for fruitcake season. Citron however is classic. I scored some lovely stuff years ago at a specialty vendor. Did you mean citron? The one I got had great flavor but not the artificial color. Is it the appearance you are more interested in?

Thank you for your reply Heidih. 
Many years ago I had also seen citron candied peels in the market as well as red and green glace cherries. I used to mix everything together and make fruit cake. 
Over time I actually began to prefer the candied orange peels. 
But this year there were just none. I am learning to make some the old fashioned way.... at home 🤣🙏🏻

• Like 1