• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rice: Varieties, Storage, Preparation, Use

liuzhou

Both types of rice are used in Chinese cooking.

But not often.

The black rice I have found also comes in two varieties.

In fact, black rice comes in just as many varieties as red rice.

I usually buy a non-glutinous type which also turns more purple when cooked. I mentioned it and showed a picture on the first page of this thread. Post 20.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

How does the cooking of red and black differ from the long grain whites or even brown?

Both types of rice are used in Chinese cooking.

Red rice actually comes in several varieties, some are glutinous, some are not. Some are more polished than others. I'm sorry I don't know the names, but the most common variety of red rice found here is the less polished glutinous variety. This means that the fibrous layer is still attached to the grain of rice, which itself will turn to goop when cooked. I am not aware of anybody cooking this like "normal" rice, although I am sure it possible. Its most common use is to make a kind of Chinese "sweet porridge", usually mixed in with some red bean and dried mandarin peel, and eaten as a dessert.

That sounds so good! Are you talking red bean paste, or just red beans?

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

Also, any Chinese or Asian stir fry dish can be served atop alternative hi protein whole grains, not just brown rices. We've done this a LOT in our house using quinoa or the whole grain mixes you can buy at Whole Foods and other health food stores. There's a lot of photos on my blog and in my flickr feed with stuff done this way. Wheat Berries, Kamut, lots of stuff out there adapts very well to Chinese cooking and other cuisines that are rice dependent.

2204155937_13a921e735_z.jpg

This is a stir fry served over barley grains

2095438737_2c3ae6abe3_z.jpg

This is an "Egg Beater" egg foo young (griddle fried with only a small amount of oil) over Quinoa

2271929494_425b440beb_z.jpg

Shrimp and Tofu in Hot Bean Sauce served over a Korean-style grain/bean mix.

Oh, ok, I see...that is a great idea!!

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

I have not done many BR dishes, but Im moving in that direction.

If your Rice Cooker 'gave up the spirit' consider a fuzzy replacement:

first this book:

http://www.amazon.co...s=ultimate rice

it might be at your library!

then a 10 cup Fuzzy of your choice:

you will never do 10 Cups of rice, but you will use the extra 'head-room' for 'mix-ins'

best of luck!

I have this cookbook! It is wonderful! I had a nice big 10 cupper, that is what I am looking for again.

• 7 years later...

Having visited rice processing operations across Asia, I most certainly wash my rice. It is often covered in dust and who knows what. Also, cleaning white rice removes excess starch. I also wash most other grains, beans etc. Always pick over lentils and the like to remove stones, then wash them.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 7 months later...

I'm on a rice kick. Not necessarily because I bought a new Zojirushi rice cooker (okay, that's one of the reasons) (but I've been making paellas, risotti, etc. for a long time), but because I find it a bit fascinating. Maybe also because...pandemic? In any event, this is a book (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) I've had for a long time...

image.png.341e45789cfd235636075dc5ba26dd9b.png

Though mine has what I believe to be the original cover.

image.png.a7935941de146e469d72a1339ed7e0c5.png

In any event, quite an informative book, with lots and lots to read about and learn. Actually, I've recently downloaded two books from our library about rice - neither of which offered any more insight than the above. If anyone has a good rice book for me, I'm all eyes.

Be that as it may, my rice infatuation is kinda fun.  I'm up to around a dozen or more different varieties, and I have a feeling there'll be more coming. I just learned about this place, The Rice Factory, where you can order a multitude of different Japanese rices, and they mill them to your spec to order. Pretty cool; no, I'm not about to buy a rice mill...I'll leave that to others (ahem).

Now, this is the part where I think @Chris Hennes may want to avert his eyes, or risk having librarian breakdown. It's about the storage and display of various rices, making them easy to get to as I seem to be cooking rice at least once a day. Here's what I've got going so far...

816117160_Ricestorage2.jpeg.9d4272d2e7aec5e34fcf1e879f1a8a47.jpeg

1807046357_Ricestorage1.jpeg.4182c5093aa03cf1d70e39cab7259a8e.jpeg

Not exactly what one would call military grade.  And I have more in the cabinets - 2 other risotto rices, some browns, etc. 

I know I can do better - like maybe all the same jars? Like what's with the Weck jars? Like maybe putting the labels on so they're all at the same level, same type, etc.?

But really - I got other things to do!

What's everyone else's relationship with rice?

• Like 7

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Pre-pandemic, we started buying larger quantities of jasmine rice - the type we use most commonly...

20201129_085232.thumb.jpg.598182733f12c1074b1a079cdfbc99b7.jpg

Not only do we not run out as fast, but I find the large sack is different than the jasmine available in the smaller 5# bags - it cooks up fluffier using the same technique.  My theory is that the smaller bags sit around longer while most of the sacks we've gotten lately are labeled "new crop".

We keep smaller quantities of basmati, sticky and carnaroli which I've used (in a pinch) as a replacement for bomba.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

I find the large sack is different than the jasmine available in the smaller 5# bags - it cooks up fluffier using the same technique.  My theory is that the smaller bags sit around longer while most of the sacks we've gotten lately are labeled "new crop".

Not 100% surprising to me.  But do you "decant" from the large sack into smaller, vacuum sealed packages? It's what I've done with Thai and Basmati rices I've bought in those big sacks. I think it keeps the rice fresher, and also in case of bugs.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

Pre-pandemic, we started buying larger quantities of jasmine rice - the type we use most commonly...

20201129_085232.thumb.jpg.598182733f12c1074b1a079cdfbc99b7.jpg

Not only do we not run out as fast, but I find the large sack is different than the jasmine available in the smaller 5# bags - it cooks up fluffier using the same technique.  My theory is that the smaller bags sit around longer while most of the sacks we've gotten lately are labeled "new crop".

Same large "new crop" sack when I was cooking for more folks. Stacked high at front of markets. We did not have 4-legged poachers so I just kept the sack in the walk-in pantry. with a bowl sitting on top to.o sort of close it since that sack material unravels. 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

I buy rices in small quantities as we maintain a fair collection of varieties.    Long grain white, Cal pearl, arborio, camargue (white, red and black), basmati, jasmine.   Because of a recent grain moth infestation, I am religious in moving rice immediately into snap-top glass jars, with smaller quantities in whatever glass container on hand: Canning jars, French working jars with plastic lids.  IMHO, Weck jars are adorable but a PIA to use.  

eGullet member #80.

You're miles ahead of me, already. My grains, pulses and pastas are in a random assortment of plastic bags, jars and original packaging, divided between (and piled over, around and between) clear plastic totes in an over-stuffed cupboard.

It's 18 months now since we moved into this apartment, so "once we're settled" is starting to wear thin. I should really get that sorted.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Personally I am against too much uniformity in storage. When I started cooking in my twenties I used to frequent flea markets in New Mexico and picked up a variety of various older canning jars. I still use them. I've saved glass jars that appealed to me ever since, and probably own a more eclectic bunch than I even need. I do have a basic label-maker, which has pretty much replaced many of the cockeyed labels of my past. Too matchy-matchy? Not a good look, as far as I'm concerned. 

Rice. My comfort food. I usually have on hand three or four kinds. For sushi or Chinese stir fry I'm very happy with the Kokuho Rose. I like Carnaroli for rice pudding, some soups and risotto, but I haven't tried lots of different brands; most seem good to me. Most supermarkets stock only Arborio, which is fine in a pinch. My reliable gourmet/cheese/pasta shop often has a wide variety of esoteric Italiian rices, but lots I haven't tried.

My mainstay for long-grain has been CA grown Lundberg organic white basmati. Often we have to settle for their regular non-organic as it the organic isn't always easy to come by, but the organic actually seems to taste a little better. I love the smell. I've tried various other basmati rices, some from India, but they have seemed dull in comparison. Maybe they have been on the shelves to long? I like if for curries, Mexican dishes, rice salads and any kind of beans and rice. I've tried Jasmine rice, since that makes sense for lots of Asian dishes, but I just like the basmati better. 

I can't quite get a handle on the Carolina rice varieties. Gold or not gold? Aromatic or not? Is it long-grain or medium? Really happy to entertain any suggestions about the differences, your favorites brands, purveyors, etc. The prices can be steep, so what about value? Seems like it would be nice to use it with Red Beans or any kind of southern style shrimp 'n' rice.   

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Not 100% surprising to me.  But do you "decant" from the large sack into smaller, vacuum sealed packages? It's what I've done with Thai and Basmati rices I've bought in those big sacks. I think it keeps the rice fresher, and also in case of bugs.

There are actually 2 bags in the large sack.  The outer woven one is really just to protect the inner one.  The inner bag is a translucent plastic bag.  We keep a large glass jar in the pantry which is what we go to on a regular basis.  Once it gets low, we refill it from the big bag, and then reclose the big bag's inner bag tightly with a twist tie.  The big bag actually sits on the floor in the middle of the living room, right up against the tent where it's out of the way.

20201129_122032.thumb.jpg.f002e86d73660a45b86908e1808f9fe5.jpg

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 3

I am a rice person too... have lots of varieties on hand. One that I am particularly fond of is the Anson Mills Carolina Gold, it is a very tasty, heritage rice.   https://ansonmills.com/products/23   I buy it 10 lbs. at a crack and keep it in the freezer.  😋 

• Like 2

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

About two years ago while on a manic spree, I went container crazy trying to organize my kitchen. For smaller amounts of stuff, I find the Oxo pop containers to be a good solution, though the plastic is brittle and will shatter if dropped. (I had a couple arrive broken from Amazon.) But for storing larger quantities of rice, the undisputed baller option are paulownia wood storage containers. They're shamefully expensive, but the quality is obvious and they're super beautiful. I shouldn't have bought them. But bought them, I did so... might as well post them in the thread on rice storage. Here's my little rice corner:

D17C0845-8E37-4D33-BDD8-3969CBC1B188.thumb.jpeg.f3523c46b355310477953cc16bba033e.jpeg

And a better look at the box stack:

C56FC809-CE02-4086-B81C-6D03CBE66A33.thumb.jpeg.6475dcc8f7d654a1e2d92687ce15485b.jpeg

And here they are unstacked.

257451C7-609D-4FDE-92E6-23D48BA1F6C4.thumb.jpeg.4a2e5795697db68d48e5e2c8687e5d77.jpeg

The small one really is too small. It holds approximately 1kg of rice and even less with the lid scoop in. I usually use it for wild rice, since I seldom have much of it on hand. The larger ones contain short grain sushi rice and basmati. The pictures don't do them justice. Again, I shouldn't have purchased them. Again, they're absurdly expensive for food storage containers. Did I mention that I was on a manic spree? Anyway, they hold rice just fine. It's always fresh and fragrant when the lid is opened. The wood has a luminous appearance and luxurious texture, and the fit/finish is superb. But are they really any better than just using a Cambro? It's hard to say -- which is awful considering the price tag. But they sure are purdy. IMO, polycarbonate Cambros are the best solution for storing larger quantities of rice (or anything, really). They're the industry standard in restaurants for a reason. 

As for the rice itself, I've tried a lot of varieties over the years and have discovered the my favorites are the aforementioned sushi and basmati rices, the former for its texture and the latter for its fragrance. I want to like Carolina Gold more than I actually do, though the rice "grits" are an interesting product. There's just something about the texture of Carolina Gold that I don't love. If you're never had CG rice, the Brock / Anson Mills recipe for Hoppin' John is good enough to justify a special order from AM. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, btbyrd said:

About two years ago while on a manic spree, I went container crazy trying to organize my kitchen. For smaller amounts of stuff, I find the Oxo pop containers to be a good solution, though the plastic is brittle and will shatter if dropped. (I had a couple arrive broken from Amazon.) But for storing larger quantities of rice, the undisputed baller option are paulownia wood storage containers. They're shamefully expensive, but the quality is obvious and they're super beautiful. I shouldn't have bought them. But bought them, I did so... might as well post them in the thread on rice storage. Here's my little rice corner:

D17C0845-8E37-4D33-BDD8-3969CBC1B188.thumb.jpeg.f3523c46b355310477953cc16bba033e.jpeg

And a better look at the box stack:

C56FC809-CE02-4086-B81C-6D03CBE66A33.thumb.jpeg.6475dcc8f7d654a1e2d92687ce15485b.jpeg

And here they are unstacked.

257451C7-609D-4FDE-92E6-23D48BA1F6C4.thumb.jpeg.4a2e5795697db68d48e5e2c8687e5d77.jpeg

The small one really is too small. It holds approximately 1kg of rice and even less with the lid scoop in. I usually use it for wild rice, since I seldom have much of it on hand. The larger ones contain short grain sushi rice and basmati. The pictures don't do them justice. Again, I shouldn't have purchased them. Again, they're absurdly expensive for food storage containers. Did I mention that I was on a manic spree? Anyway, they hold rice just fine. It's always fresh and fragrant when the lid is opened. The wood has a luminous appearance and luxurious texture, and the fit/finish is superb. But are they really any better than just using a Cambro? It's hard to say -- which is awful considering the price tag. But they sure are purdy. IMO, polycarbonate Cambros are the best solution for storing larger quantities of rice (or anything, really). They're the industry standard in restaurants for a reason. 

As for the rice itself, I've tried a lot of varieties over the years and have discovered the my favorites are the aforementioned sushi and basmati rices, the former for its texture and the latter for its fragrance. I want to like Carolina Gold more than I actually do, though the rice "grits" are an interesting product. There's just something about the texture of Carolina Gold that I don't love. If you're never had CG rice, the Brock / Anson Mills recipe for Hoppin' John is good enough to justify a special order from AM. 

Maybe the smaller one could be used as a sushi mold? I can't quite make out how the lid is designed.

4 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

I've tried Jasmine rice, since that makes sense for lots of Asian dishes, but I just like the basmati better. 

I can't quite get a handle on the Carolina rice varieties. Gold or not gold? Aromatic or not? Is it long-grain or medium?

The Jasmine rice is a long-grain sticky (one of the few) which (as you pointed out for a different reason) makes it perfect for some Asian food and the use of chopsticks. Well that, it's aroma, and it's flavor as well.  And Basmati is fine stuff; if I'm making Indian-style curries, that's what I want.

The real Carolina rices (Anson, Geechie, et al.), are imo and as @btbyrdpoints out, great for certain dishes - but I also want to like them more than I do. Perhaps it's the fact that they've been "rescued" and I feel good buying them and help preserving that tradition. And the name "Carolina" vis-a-vis rice here in America, has sort of come to be synonymous with our long-grain rices which cook to a dry, separate texture. You see it on many rices...

image.thumb.png.731cd6771ed11651545c91d264077b8a.pngimage.thumb.png.441c2538f53b82a86d66eabde731c7b9.png

But they're not from the Carolinas. Grown in the USA - like maybe Arkansas?

As far as brands, I'm still in the early stages of trying different ones. I am currently enjoying the Elephants brand in @KennethT' post.  

Really liking the Japanese short-grains (like the Koshihikari for white, the Tamaki Haiga from California for not quite white not quite brown), and can't wait to try some of the freshly harvested and milled from the company I linked to above. It looks like they'll have the 2020 Japan harvest sometime in January.  When cooked right, they have an amazing texture, holding together on the way to your mouth, and then each grain become separate and distinct with just the right amount of chew. They work when making stuff like this:

217592131_Onigiri109-02.jpeg.e8904d92cd2e32b80ebc303923d1f69f.jpeg

One rice not currently in my pantry is the Carmague red...but might be soon.

You have some great storage there, @btbyrd; nice job!

• Like 4

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Since a cancer episode some years ago scared me into being macrobiotic (briefly) I've been in love with short grain brown rice, with the only issue being a huge one. Is it fresh? I can, or could before the pandemic, get Lundberg organic short grain brown rice from a bin at my local market, and that was usually fresh. Buying a small plastic bag of it is generally a regrettable experience as I'd say 50% of the time it doesn't smell fresh. That's my other option as that is what Earth Fare, the local Whole Foods substitute, carries.

Now to reveal myself as a rice barbarian, I cook it with more water if I'm making sushi, and less if I'm going to use it to eat with a stir fry. I love ALL the other rices, but can't justify buying them as I'm increasingly cooking for only one person - me. And I like my rice to be fresh.

I am already interested in the rice resources here. They may shift my rice habit. As for storage, @btbyrd's boxes are gorgeous! And I appreciate @weinoo's mismatched jars. I think they are excellent.

• Like 3

gayle28607

3 minutes ago, Gayle28607 said:

with the only issue being a huge one. Is it fresh?

With brown rices, this is so true.  As you can see (smell?), they go rancid. And not that slowly. 

I think your best bet for those is trying some mail order/Amazon type places, if you can figure out where the good turnover is. Probably  buying Lundberg stuff via Amazon (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) is a decent bet. If it sucks, they should refund your money.

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

39 minutes ago, weinoo said:

The real Carolina rices (Anson, Geechie, et al.), are imo and as @btbyrdpoints out, great for certain dishes - but I also want to like them more than I do. Perhaps it's the fact that they've been "rescued" and I feel good buying them and help preserving that tradition.

Exactly. But my experience is limited.

Rice11292020.png

Top bedroom shelf.

Antica Riseria Vignola Carnaroli, Santo Tomas Bomba, Tilda Basmati.  Not shown, bag of Tamaki Gold on the floor.  Less interesting rices in the kitchen.  The rice I go through most is Tamaki Gold.

Edit:  if we may include wild rice I go through much Bineshii Ghost.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Rice11292020.png

Top bedroom shelf.

Antica Riseria Vignola Carnaroli, Santo Tomas Bomba, Tilda Basmati.  Not shown, bag of Tamaki Gold on the floor.  Less interesting rices in the kitchen.  The rice I go through most is Tamaki Gold.

Edit:  if we may include wild rice I go through much Bineshii Ghost.

I love Bineshi Ghost.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, weinoo said:

With brown rices, this is so true.  As you can see (smell?), they go rancid. And not that slowly. 

I think Probably  buying Lundberg stuff via Amazon (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) is a decent bet. If it sucks, they should refund your money.

Lundberg isn’t readily available in supermarkets on the East Coast?

eGullet member #80.