• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Valrhona Orizaba

ChristysConfections

Hi Fellow Chocolate-Loving Folk,

I’m wondering if anyone has experience with Valrhona’s Orizaba milk chocolate? What do you think of it and how does it compare to Jivara (my go-to) or your other favourite milk chocolates? I noticed Kriss Harvey mention that it’s his preferred chocolate for enrobing/shells because of its “plain taste.” I’m enticed by the description of it being very milk-forward in flavor. I want to make a saffron pistachio piece and like the idea of pairing it with a very milky chocolate with a less assertive chocolate flavor. It seems to be generally unpopular in my neck of the woods and my supplier doesn’t carry it  so sourcing it has been a challenge (they can special order, but I don’t need that much).

- Christy -

"My rule is to welcome you with hospitality and to send you away in peace." - The Deserts Fathers

I've only made ganaches with it so far, but I think it's a lovely chocolate. Pretty milky and maybe plain when talking about milk chocolates? But it's not like Jivara is like a crazy stand out in taste, taking away from other parts of your product? I probably wouldn't hunt down Orizaba just for the sake of it, but can't you just order a smaller bag of it from a place who repackage, to try it out.

https://www.chocosphere.com/default/brand/t-z/valrhona/orizaba-lactee-les-feves-1kg-bag.html - like here? Not sure where you're located though.

Thanks for that feedback, @Rajala- I get the sense that it’s what I’m looking for in a chocolate. I thought about getting some from Chocosphere, but it looked like it was going to be expensive to ship it to Canada (maybe more so because I wanted it quickly). I’ll explore that option again. 

- Christy -

"My rule is to welcome you with hospitality and to send you away in peace." - The Deserts Fathers

4 minutes ago, ChristysConfections said:

Thanks for that feedback, @Rajala- I get the sense that it’s what I’m looking for in a chocolate. I thought about getting some from Chocosphere, but it looked like it was going to be expensive to ship it to Canada (maybe more so because I wanted it quickly). I’ll explore that option again. 

Yeah, It'll probably cost a bit. But if this is your business, maybe it's a worthwhile investment when you realize it's your favorite milk chocolate ever?! :D

It's weird though, they don't seem to have this chocolate as a bar. It's usually easy to grab a bar to test a variation out.

I thought it was funny that I couldn’t find it as a bar. I guess that would be why, haha. 

These days it’s just chocolate making for fun and not for business, so I think that may be why it’s harder for me to justify. Maybe I’ll find it around sometime!

- Christy -