• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary Terms that Should be Banned!

liuzhou

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

Trust me - the few interactions I've had with him, in real life over the years, have been less than pleasant.

A gavone indeed. And in his deeds, a real piece of work - consider how he escaped all the accusations.

I always wondered how he came out unscathed from the Batali stuff.  He knew.  

• Like 2

That wasn't chicken

there was an article on-line today in the NYTimes :

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/25/dining/air-fryer.html

""  A year ago, Rebecca Abbott, a food photographer and blogger in Mesa, Ariz., bought her first air fryer to develop recipes for a client’s blog. She started with the usual air-fryer specialties, frozen pizza rolls and tater tots, but it wasn’t long until she realized that her model could make pretty much anything she wanted. Four months later, she was stunned when her homemade cheesecake emerged from the device, baked to perfection in 20 minutes with no cracks or dips. ""

etc etc

then a bit later in that same article :

""  Farrah Jalanbo, a food influencer in Chino Hills, Calif., came up with an elote-inspired recipe for corn ribs that became an air-fryer favorite.  ""

I don't know FJ and this has little to do w FJ  but please 

Food influencer ?

drunk.jpeg.ea3ef6a4e63bc73fa1f99d6a7b02b704.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

""  Farrah Jalanbo, a food influencer in Chino Hills, Calif., came up with an elote-inspired recipe for corn ribs that became an air-fryer favorite.  ""

I don't know FJ and this has little to do w FJ  but please 

I influence food all the time—mainly from wherever it's been prepared into my mouth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Great.  Another foolish term.  Foodie always made me roll my eyes, but food influencer?  Seriously?  I'm with rotus.  Knock it off already LOL

and, who actually decides who is, and who is not, an influencer? ;) is there a committee?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, JeanneCake said:

Great.  Another foolish term.  Foodie always made me roll my eyes, but food influencer?  Seriously?  I'm with rotus.  Knock it off already LOL

and, who actually decides who is, and who is not, an influencer? ;) is there a committee?

Yes, and it's an influential one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

On 3/30/2021 at 9:06 PM, AAQuesada said:

Lolol! How many people actually pronounce 'eGullet' correctly?  

If it's wrong i don't want to be right 😉

eGoulet

BDA6855C-458B-4A5E-BE3E-6B584BF72401.jpeg

My dad claims to have worked with Robert Goulet in the early days and said he was known as (phonetically)  Bob Gull-it

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, JeanneCake said:

No it is  likes, hits, followers, subscribers etc. The vast unwashed masses. An artificial world. 

• Like 5

'Influencer' seems to be a term that's escaped from the marketing corral.  Madison Avenue types started identifying Youtubers with a broad reach and approached them about being spokesbeings because they were in the position to influence people.

At that point Influencer=Money.

Now everyone (of that ilk) wants to be an influencer. And the use of the term is shameless.

[edit]There are now Influencer Awards.  Big, loud, EDM Award Ceremonies....

Edited by IndyRob (log)
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I started reading :

https://www.amazon.com/Midnight-Lock-Lincoln-Rhyme-Novel/dp/0525536000/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2SZ9G2X1CYC74&keywords=midnight+lock&qid=1643200390&sprefix=midnight+lock%2Cspecialty-aps%2C426&sr=8-1

last evening.    I had it on my iPad for a while, it just got buries w so many other books.

these books tend to be favorite.  '' Influencer "  was mentioned.

Lincoln Rhyme  scoffs at the notion.

• Like 3

influencer

(ˈɪnfluːənsə(r))

[f. as prec. + -er1.]

One who or that which influences.

1664 H. More Myst. Iniq. 473 The head and influencer of the whole Church.    

1775 F. Burney Early Diary (1889) II. 103 Known as the chief influencer of her conduct.    

1826 E. Irving Babylon I. iv. 309 The chief and sovereign influencers of the destinies of men.    a

1866 J. Grote Exam. Utilit. Philos. x. (1870) 167 Honour is one of the most powerful influencers of human nature.

OED

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, Mjx said:

Has anyone mentioned 'bonbon' as a word that needs to go? Apart from being twee, it's applied to so many different things that it means nothing in particular.

Agreed.

And twee is a fine word.  John MacPhee seemed to get one use (just one) of it in every book

I'd add "ooey-gooey" to the list.  I think food network and Marc Summers are behind it.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mjx said:

Has anyone mentioned 'bonbon' as a word that needs to go? Apart from being twee, it's applied to so many different things that it means nothing in particular.

I beg to differ as my mother would have said - when you use the the term 'chocolate' it can mean so many things where I do consider a bonbon to be more specific. However it does dredge up memories of Peggy Bundy swinging a leg and yelling 'bonbon' 'bonbon'!

I also agree twee is a fine word!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mjx said:

I have no objection to it. It's been around since the 18th century and developed its figurative meaning in the 19th. If we were to ban all words which have changed meaning or have taken on figurative meanings there would be very little language left. Its meaning is nearly always clear from the context.

The origin of 'twee' is also the same. It is a childlike corruption of 'sweet'.

I would also bring back the now rare 'bonbonnière', a small fancy box to hold sweets.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I have no objection to it. It's been around since the 18th century and developed its figurative meaning in the 19th. If we were to ban all words which have changed meaning or have taken on figurative meanings there would be very little language left. Its meaning is nearly always clear from the context.

The origin of 'twee' is also the same. It is a childlike corruption of 'sweet'.

I would also bring back the now rare 'bonbonnière', a small fancy box to hold sweets.

Bonbonnière still exists in my world. 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I beg to differ as my mother would have said - when you use the the term 'chocolate' it can mean so many things where I do consider a bonbon to be more specific. However it does dredge up memories of Peggy Bundy swinging a leg and yelling 'bonbon' 'bonbon'!

I also agree twee is a fine word!

But it's used to mean so many things other than filled chocolates, including many sweets that involve no chocolate, and those ice cream...thingies, if they still exist.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

1 hour ago, Mjx said:

But it's used to mean so many things other than filled chocolates

It always was! It's meaning has never been defined by chocolate. The original definition and still the most common current definition is

A lozenge or other confection made of sugar.

Only one of my many dictionaries mentions chocolate and that is just given as an example; not a defining feature.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

• 11 months later...
On 11/25/2020 at 6:50 AM, dtremit said:

OK, as an American calling out a British term, I'm at risk of stepping in it, but: moreish

I hate, hate, HATE that word. It is nonsensical and meaningless and even unpleasant to look at in print. And if it's spoken, I always get confused trying to figure out what about a roast chicken or whatever it is could possibly be "Moorish."

I'm very late to this party (to which I issued the invites), but I just noticed this while searching for something else.

Moreish is NOT really British. Coined by the very Irish Jonathan Swift in 1738. Yes the Gulliver's Travels man. The meaning was clear then and still is. Swift was a noted conservative about language, too and wrote about banning many words no one now thinks twice about.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 5:36 AM, IndyRob said:

I'm not fond of the word bake used as a noun.  e.g. "I just love her bakes".  Something about that just grates on me.

'Bake' has been used as a noun for around 500 years, so I don't think it's going anywhere. What about a clam bake?

Edited by liuzhou (log)

On 2/18/2023 at 12:44 AM, liuzhou said:

'Bake' has been used as a noun for around 500 years, so I don't think it's going anywhere. What about a clam bake?

A clam bake is more of a process or an event, isn't it?  I was referring to the singular use of 'bake' as a product, or 'bakes' as a collection of various products.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, IndyRob said:

A clam bake is more of a process or an event, isn't it?  I was referring to the singular use of 'bake' as a product, or 'bakes' as a collection of various products.

My point remains the same. 'Bake' has been a noun for almost 500 years, including as a product or collection of products.

bake, n.

[f. the vb.]

1.1 in Sc. A biscuit.

1787 Burns Holy Fair xviii, Here's crying out for bakes and gills.    1823 Galt Entail xciii, We can divide the bakes.

2. a.2.a ‘The act, process, or result, of baking.’ (Webster.)

1565 T. Cooper Thes., Acapna thysia, sacrifices without smoke: spoken of a simple feaste wherin is neyther bake, sodde, nor roste.    1851 Knickerbocker XXXVIII. 187 Saint Peter [in stained glass] is a little cracked‥but I've got a first-rate bake on Paul.    1882 Lees & Clutterbuck Three in Norway xvi. 126 After this Esau finished the oven, and accomplished a bake of bread therein.    1961 Guardian 27 Sept. 8/3 Many older housewives‥find great satisfaction in a monster weekly ‘bake’.    1963 Listener 21 Mar. 535/3 For apple and pork bake you will need‥4 pork chops.

b.2.b A social gathering at which a meal, esp. of baked food, is served; a clambake. U.S.

1846 Spirit of Times (N.Y.) 6 June 174/3 The grand ‘bake’ at the village hotel.    1935 Steinbeck Tortilla Flat viii. 148 He saw that it was a Girl Scout wienie bake.

• Like 1