• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary Terms that Should be Banned!

liuzhou

8 minutes ago, teonzo said:

Do you really think TV producers would let something like that being aired if it was not wanted? They are there to say "cut and redo" when such things happen out of script.

Yes, I don't think it's scripted to that degree nor would they challenge something as minute esp for a celeb like her.   Could be wrong of course knowing nothing about this industry : )

That wasn't chicken

1 hour ago, teonzo said:

Do you really think TV producers would let something like that being aired if it was not wanted? They are there to say "cut and redo" when such things happen out of script.

Teo

I watch a lot of food tv shows and I'm constantly astounded at the easily corrected mistakes and miss spoken lines that don't get fixed.  I don't know if it is a lack of care or a cost-saving thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

I don't know if it is a lack of care or a cost-saving thing.

Both?  It's like reading a poorly edited piece. Or basically, like reading almost any piece about food these days.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

13 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

We have the good fortune to have excellent cookbook and food writers like Ottolenghi and Tamimi showing us what it truly is.  If the goofers want to call every bean dip hummus - whatever.  Not exactly a truth in advertising issue. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, teonzo said:

15 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I watch a lot of food tv shows and I'm constantly astounded at the easily corrected mistakes and miss spoken lines that don't get fixed.  I don't know if it is a lack of care or a cost-saving thing.

But it wasn't a mistake.  It was her being cute (albeit a sad attempt).  What producer (of a food show) is going to challenge it esp a big name like her? 

"Uh Nigella, can we talk about 'meecro-wavy'?"   "Sorry, who are you, again?" - N

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

That wasn't chicken

11 hours ago, liuzhou said:

11 hours ago, heidih said:

We have the good fortune to have excellent cookbook and food writers like Ottolenghi and Tamimi showing us what it truly is.  If the goofers want to call every bean dip hummus - whatever.  Not exactly a truth in advertising issue. 

To say nothing of what Claudia Roden and Paula Wolfert said way before them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

16 minutes ago, weinoo said:

To say nothing of what Claudia Roden and Paula Wolfert said way before them.

Then, of course, there are foodies like me who think that anything you can do to disguise the taste of hummus is quite legitimate and should be encouraged. 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

"Foodies" are doing to hummus what people making "cocktails" are and have been doing to martinis for way too long.

Or what vegans have been doing to hot dogs and meatballs, since they started being vegans.

Or what anyone who appropriates the wrong name for the dish they "invented" has been doing since, most likely, time immemorial.

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I don't get a negative reaction to tweaked savory riffs as long as the core ingredients (chick peas, tahini) are intact.  After that you can't call chocolate chick pea spread hummus. 

Edited by Eatmywords (log)

That wasn't chicken

Of course there are terms which can't be banned, but which are annoyingly and incorrectly used. Many referred to above (see: martini, for example).

Here's another - risotto, for something cooked to a creamy consistency. It's not risotto - unless it's made with rice.

• Like 4

Tasty Travails - My Blog

17 hours ago, weinoo said:

Here's another - risotto, for something cooked to a creamy consistency. It's not risotto - unless it's made with rice.

I'd hammer out danger

I'd hammer out a warning

I'd hammer out the difference

between a risotto and a porridge

all over this land...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

eGullet member #80.

@Margaret Pilgrim 

I might like this

as an Extension of my Corona , 17 or 18 plan.

----  is there spinach in the can Mature spinach ?

------ are the various Fats , not unreasonable le ?

-----   is the Salt  ( NaCl )  continent less than what might cause  '   Edema ? "

does Target.com have it ?

I get 5 %voff !

36 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Margaret Pilgrim 

I might like this

as an Extension of my Corona , 17 or 18 plan.

----  is there spinach in the can Mature spinach ?

------ are the various Fats , not unreasonable le ?

-----   is the Salt  ( NaCl )  continent less than what might cause  '   Edema ? "

does Target.com have it ?

I get 5 %voff !

per 2 tablespoons

70 calories

1 gr total fat

140 gr salt    i.e., high

2 gr protein   (bugs?) 

from Buona Fortuna Foods, LLC

Modesto, California

I bought it at Pic and Save, a discount outlet en route to the country where we stop for junk food and odd-ball items like this

• Delicious 1

eGullet member #80.

Not really a word that should be banned, but a pronounciation. I twitch uncontrollably when I hear people who should know better pronounce "restaurateur" with an "n" in the middle. Yes, Mr. Ramsay you are a prime offender!

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

5 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Not really a word that should be banned, but a pronounciation. I twitch uncontrollably when I hear people who should know better pronounce "restaurateur" with an "n" in the middle. Yes, Mr. Ramsay your are a prime offender!

I was going to hang my head in shame until I read what Carlos Villar had to say here. You will need to scroll down to the comments. 

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

33 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I was going to hang my head in shame until I read what Carlos Villar had to say here. You will need to scroll down to the comments. 

Other than Villar, I'd have expected a higher level of discourse on a grammar site.  😀

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Other than Villar, I'd have expected a higher level of discourse on a grammar site.  😀

Shame can be a huge impediment to discussion. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

On 12/10/2020 at 9:17 AM, Anna N said:

Then, of course, there are foodies like me who think that anything you can do to disguise the taste of hummus is quite legitimate and should be encouraged. 😂

Hummus, or the beans required for its making,  never gets through my door.

• Like 1

On the pronunciation front blended with correct word use - more than once I have heard the "expert"cheese person say "Fleur du Marquis" rather than the correct "Fleur du Maquis". Hhmmm - royalty versus the fragrant scrub the ewes eat in Corsica. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...
9 minutes ago, Susanwusan said:

Has anyone else got food-related pet peeves?  I've just been annoyed again by somebody on telly saying dulchy de leche, instead of dulthey or dulsey.  And then there's the same problem with "choritso"! 😣

I think that's a bit unfair. How well can you pronounce dish names in languages you don't know?

I hear people mangling Chinese food names every day!

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto