• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary Terms that Should be Banned!

liuzhou

Just now, Margaret Pilgrim said:

We all probably have a version of the kitchen tool, the "ricer".    It forces food through tiny holes, it "rices" them.    To reice is a verb.

Of course people are using cauliflower "rice" as a carb sub because it works that way,.    But it is a sub.   One would never think one is creating actual rice from cauliflower.   Or would one...

eta, riced cauliflower is a pretty good way to fed it to people who hate cauliflower.    With enough butter or curry sauce or gravy, whom cares?

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

We all probably have a version of the kitchen tool, the "ricer".    It forces food through tiny holes, it "rices" them.    To reice is a verb.

Of course people are using cauliflower "rice" as a carb sub because it works that way,.    But it is a sub.   One would never think one is creating actual rice from cauliflower.   Or would one...

The last few years have taught me that a large percentage of people will believe all kinds of nonsense.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

A bit late to the party on this one.

Just a few observations:

Entree describing a main course was always just a US quirk that made no sense to me. I made the foreigner’s mistake on a visit once of ordering two entrees thinking they were both appetiser size to get a taste of two different types of food. That it is emerging in usage in the UK is abhorrent to me.

Barbecue (Barbeque, BBQ, etc.) is a word that has many different meanings around the world, and apparently even within the USA. Saying one meaning is correct is perhaps very inward looking.

We used to have a show called the Cook and the Chef on our national broadcaster. The “cook” was a national treasure called Maggie Beer, who ran her own restaurant for years and was most definitely a “chef.” I think the cook label was to differentiate her from the “chef,” and make her more relatable to the viewers.

• Like 3

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

ive seen many eps of

Cook and Chef

decent show.

there are many fine cooking shows out of Australia

a unique one and very worthwhile is :

Food Safari.

learned a lot about Asian foods , and Asian packaging 

in Asian stores.  the same for Middle Eastern

item w very little english on the packaging.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, rotuts said:

ive seen many eps of

Cook and Chef

decent show.

there are many fine cooking shows out of Australia

a unique one and very worthwhile is :

Food Safari.

learned a lot about Asian foods , and Asian packaging 

in Asian stores.  the same for Middle Eastern

item w very little english on the packaging.

Asian foods are now commonplace in our supermarkets. I went to our local store the other day looking for Panko breadcrumbs and found that they had been moved from their former place in the Asian specialty section to the breadcrumb location. They do the same with sauces. It’s a great move forward. 

• Like 2

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

One word which drives me over the edge is iteration. Its misuse is not confined to culinary matters, but that is where I see it most often, alas even here.

I read a sentence like

The first time I made it, it came out too salty, but the second iteration was much better.

This is nonsensical unless the dish was made three times, not the two the writer presumably meant. The first version is not an iteration, the second may be. Iteration means repetition. The third time the dish is made is the second iteration. Maybe.

My second complaint about the usage is that iteration is used as a precise scientific and mathematical term for a repetition.

The repetition of an operation upon its product, as in finding the cube of a cube; esp. the repeated application of a formula devised to provide a closer approximation to the solution of a given equation when an approximate solution is substituted in the formula, so that a series of successively closer approximations may be obtained; a single application of such a formula; also, the formula itself.

Oxford English Dictionary

So, if you change the process it is not an iteration either. Presumably, the writer of the salty dish sentence added less salt the second time, thereby altering the formula.

What he or she made was a version. Iteration is not a more clever way of saying version - it is a dumb way to say it.

Rant over - as you were.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

12 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

One word which drives me over the edge is iteration. Its misuse is not confined to culinary matters, but that is where I see it most often, alas even here.

I read a sentence like

The first time I made it, it came out too salty, but the second iteration was much better.

This is nonsensical unless the dish was made three times, not the two the writer presumably meant. The first version is not an iteration, the second may be. Iteration means repetition. The third time the dish is made is the second iteration. Maybe.

My second complaint about the usage is that iteration is used as a precise scientific and mathematical term for a repetition.

So, if you change the process it is not an iteration either. Presumably, the writer of the salty dish sentence added less salt the second time, thereby altering the formula.

What he or she made was a version. Iteration is not a more clever way of saying version - it is a dumb way to say it.

Rant over - as you were.

Yes VERSION. My writing mentors (poor things) would offer that alternate word. Number of times does not even matter to me - clarity does. I was on a plane once delayed with re-routing - and had this discussion with seat mate. It was fun to speak with another person who gets equally annoyed. Like a Rodney King moment "can't we all just get along" but in this case "communicate clearly". 

• Like 1

On 12/3/2020 at 6:37 PM, mgaretz said:

Heritage is another term that is actually meaningless.  Everything has a heritage.  I realize it's meant to describe a breed or strain that dates back to an earlier time, but I just saw a food ad today that said, "All of our beef is from heritage cattle,"  with no other explanation.  

OK.... this just BEGS to be listed as an article about Heritage Foods though....

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/felix-gillet-institute?utm_source=Gastro+Obscura+Weekly+E-mail&utm_campaign=68be8781d8-GASTRO_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_12_08&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_2418498528-68be8781d8-67363049&mc_cid=68be8781d8&mc_eid=40506f7050

And, it is a very good read.

Edited by BetD
More words...... (log)
  • Thanks 1

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

On 11/25/2020 at 10:11 AM, Anna N said:

Chef Nigella Lawson vs Cook Nigella Lawson. Try to imagine the ratings drop. 

On 11/25/2020 at 10:26 AM, Eatmywords said:

Don't worry, Scandalous Nigella would never let that happen. 

And wordsmith Nigella.......'meecro-worvy'

That wasn't chicken

10 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

i'm fairly certain she was joking. Not very well, though. Never liked her.

Yep.

She plays up her looks a bit too  much, I think.  Trivializes herself.

23 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

Yes, I've often wondered the appeal.  A British thing? 

Well, I'm British and don't get it!

That said the celebrity worshipping classes are unfathomable. Especially towards well-connected upper-class woman with large mammary glands!

I'm not saying she is a bad cook. She isn't. But...

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

OK. I have to give her that.

Most likely most of us have some pet pronunciation that we know is totally wrong but that has been part of our vocabulary forever. Words like pasghetti and osco bosco. But like all inside jokes they don’t translate well outside of a small group of people.

But have to give her credit.  She got an awful lot of free publicity. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 12/6/2020 at 6:07 AM, liuzhou said:

So, if you make a coffee, then use the resulting liquid instead of water to make a new coffee, then use the resulting liquid instead of water to make a new coffee, then use the resulting liquid instead of water to make a new coffee, then use the resulting liquid instead of water to make a new coffee, then use the resulting liquid instead of water to make a new coffee, then use the resulting liquid instead of water to make a new coffee, then use the resulting liquid instead of water to make a new coffee, then use the resulting liquid instead of water to make a new coffee, then use the resulting liquid instead of water to make a new coffee, then use the resulting liquid instead of water to make a new coffee, then use the resulting liquid instead of water to make a new coffee, then use the resulting liquid instead of water to make a new coffee, then use the resulting liquid instead of water to make a new coffee, then use the resulting liquid instead of water to make a new coffee, then use the resulting liquid instead of water to make a new coffee, then use the resulting liquid instead of water to make a new coffee, you drink it, someone says you made a coffee iteration, then you become more dangerous than the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog?

Teo

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Teo

4 hours ago, Eatmywords said:

"The TV cook has sent the internet in to meltdown w her ridiculous pronunciation of the beloved kitchen gadget" - 'beloved'  LOL

This and the double butter are just pre-made marketing strategies to give more oomph to a fading celebrity. Well done marketing strategies.

Teo

• Like 1

Teo

@teonzo 

im a bit dizzy now

Ill make surest use ' fresh '  water

from my tap

via the towns wells

passing through a Brita

for tomorrows coffee

are you suggesting I need to replace the Brita im using 

for a new one ?

I mohave several in line

waiting for a Call Up 

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@teonzo 

im a bit dizzy now

Ill make surest use ' fresh '  water

from my tap

via the towns wells

passing through a Brita

for tomorrows coffee

are you suggesting I need to replace the Brita im using 

for a new one ?

I mohave several in line

waiting for a Call Up 

Seems like the "student's coffee" is a thing only in Italy. When a student wants to stay awake to study then he makes a coffee's coffee. You brew a coffee (with a moka, as common in the homes here), then put that coffee in the moka instead of water and brew a new coffee. This the coffee square. If you repeat this again then it becomes a coffee cube. I've seen someone going quadruple. People say that the result has much more caffeine and is much more effective. Can't say, I'm not a coffee drinker.

For sure the student's coffee can be described as a coffee iteration in the literal sense of the term. But don't let liuzhou drink it.

Teo

• Haha 1

Teo

23 minutes ago, teonzo said:

This and the double butter are just pre-made marketing strategies to give more oomph to a fading celebrity. Well done marketing strategies.

Nah, what Anna said above, a personal slang so bad it couldn't have been calculated.  Lucky for her, annoying to anyone not a fan.

That wasn't chicken

4 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

Nah, what Anna said above, a personal slang so bad it couldn't have been calculated.  Lucky for her, annoying to anyone not a fan.

Do you really think TV producers would let something like that being aired if it was not wanted? They are there to say "cut and redo" when such things happen out of script.

Teo

Teo