• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

...go ahead and...

Yesterday,  I watched a YouTube video (I know. What was I thinking?) and the 'presenter prefaced every verb with this utterly meaningless phrase.

"To start we will go ahead and cook the rice. First, we go ahead and and boil some water, then go ahead and add the rice. Go ahead and add some salt then go ahead and reduce the heat to a simmer. When the rice is ready go ahead and drain it."

Apart from the awful rice-making technique, the repetition of that phrase was driving me insane! It means nothing. Remove it and the meaning remains exactly the same.

This was a particularly ridiculous overuse of a rendundant phrase (she said it twenty-seven times in an eight minute video), but I have noticed how often people use it. Go ahead and stop it!

liuzhou

liuzhou

...go ahead and...

Yesterday,  I watched a YouTube video (I know. What was I thinking?) and the 'preenterprefaced every veb with this utterly meaingless phrase.

"To start we will go ahead and cook the rice. First, we go ahead and and boil some water, then go ahead and add the rice. Go ahead and add some salt then go ahead and reduce the heat to a simmer. When the rice is ready go ahead and drain it."

Apart from the awful rice-making technique, the repetition of that phrase was driving me insane! It means nothing. Remove it and the meaning remains exactly the same.

This was a particularly ridiculous overuse of a rendundant phrase (she said it twenty-seven times in an eight minute video), but I have noticed how often people use it. Go ahead and stop it!