• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

9 minutes ago, Susanwusan said:

I would expect if they are are on television and supposedly professionals, they ought to know.  Part of what they are doing is teaching about food as well as entertaining. 

That is a little naive. Just because they are on television doesn't mean they are linguists or even experts in any paricular field. They are just reading a script to the best of their knowledge.  A lot are just hired for their looks!

People on television; educators; chefs mispronounce words all the time.

Half the restaurateurs in the world can't pronounce restaurateurs.

Television pros, especially in news, get new words thrown at them every day.

Can you pronounce my eGullet name correctly?  I very much doubt it.

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 minute ago, Susanwusan said:

I would expect if they are are on television and supposedly professionals, they ought to know.  Part of what they are doing is teaching about food as well as entertaining. 

That is a little naive. just because they are on television doesn't mean they are linguists or even experts in any paricular field. They are just reading a script to the best of their knowledge.  People on television; educators; chefs mispronounce words all the time.

Half the restaurateurs in the world can't pronounce restaurateurs.

Television pros, especially in news, get new words thrown at them every day.

Can you pronounce my eGullet name correctly?  I very much doubt it.