• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Appliance You've Purchased But You Use the Least (and probably don't need)

weinoo

I have one of those small Cuisinart ice cream makers that requires you to freeze the insert prior to use. I haven’t used it in years (don’t really have freezer space to leave that insert in there all the time), and have found that making treats in pop form works better for my husband (portion control).

• Like 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I think you need to start using it, just because it's better! (Does it come with multiple sets of plates, like the Griddler?)

Kinda brings up another point - why do we hang onto things we don't use????

Problem is the panini thing takes up too much space and who eats panini all the time?

I've inherited a few crock pots. Want one or two?

• Like 1

OK @weinoo, as long as it's just two or three years...

Let's see, the DeLonghi  grill.  I used to use it for corn tortillas until I got a crepe maker that works better for the purpose.  However the DeLonghi remains the only appliance I have for making waffles, and it makes good waffles.  But I haven't eaten waffles in two years.

Crepe maker.  I use it only for making corn tortillas.

Pasta extruder attachment for KitchenAid, which I have used once.  (Not to be confused with the pasta roller attachments for the KitchenAid, which I use often.)   The extruder worked satisfactorily, perhaps I should use it more.  Thing is, if I want pasta I use the roller attachments.  If I am lazy I use boxed pasta.

As others have said, stick blender.

And the A4 Box.  I seldom think to use it.  I should use it more.  It works pretty well and is easy enough to clean.  I found I prefer the A4 Box to the Philips for grilling fish.  Maybe it should not be on this list?  Plus, it's my only appliance for making takoyaki.

Sad, but I should add my Premier melanger.  Maybe some day I will refine chocolate.  Until then I've used it only for nut butters, which is why I bought it.  But one would have to make a lot of nut butter at a time.  I don't think I've used the Premier in a year.

I hope someday I don't have to come back and add my Kuvings slow juicer to the list.  In the back of my mind I'm wondering if the Kuvings can crush chocolate nibs so that I can refine them in the Premier melanger.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

57 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Problem is the panini thing takes up too much space and who eats panini all the time?

I've inherited a few crock pots. Want one or two?

No, but thank you.  Never really been a crock pot fan...they take too much time (and space!)...😂 .

I definitely don't eat panini all the time, but with the interchangeable plates I could certainly (and have recently) use it for things like pain perdu and pancakes. I was actually thinking, after recently making stovetop hamburgers which made a nightmare of a mess, that perhaps I could use it for things like that. Probably wouldn't get enough of a crust, though it does get pretty hot... 😉...ish.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Out of sight out of mind is a truism. I have even considered photographs of each  appliance  and a small art display of said photos in a very visible part of my kitchen to remind me of my options. That would be in lieu of the acres of counter space I would need to display the actual appliances. I think it would kickstart a more creative answer to the question of what’s for dinner on those days when nothing appeals. Yeah I know it’s a crazy idea.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

Huge change...I remember, as a kid, no mishpucha meal ended without coffee. Cigarettes and cigars, too.

Now you're talking right up Significant Eater's alley.

My mother, who passed away at 94, usually went out for Italian food. That was partly or mostly because her boyfriend/ companion was Italian and wouldn't dream of eating any other kind of food. Yep, a snob! He never oooked a meal in his life as far as I could tell, and if my mother wasn't with him, he would be found at Patsy's.

Which isn't really isn't relevant to the fact that up to the day she died she would order an espresso at a restaurant after dinner, with a lemon twist. It didn't seem to keep her awake at night, any more than anything else did.

As for Elaine's dad, who grew up in a traditional household run by his Taos born mother, he made that red sauce in his sleep. Whenever I was over for dinner it was in something or next to something. I've never been able to duplicate it. Hot, slightly bitter, perfect. These days if I bother to make a chile rojo from dried chiles I dole it out like caviar. At their house it seemed like it came from an bottomless well.

I'm telling you, this pandemic is like a highway to the past. Is there just more time to drive on it? What else do I miss in NM? So many things, but right now I miss hearing the geese migrate in Vee and Vee overhead, following the Rio Grande..

• Like 2

I, too, have one of those Cuisinart ice cream makers I bought from a friend who was getting rid of it. I don't think I've used it in three years. Used it a good deal when I first got it, and then just...didn't.

Next would probably be the blender. Rarely get it out unless I get on a smoothie kick. Don't use the Kitchenaid all that much except when I'm baking, which I don't do a lot of any more, but when I do, I'm damn proud I have it. Food processor gets a lot of use, as does the stick blender. I use my IP a good deal in the winter because I make a lot more soups and stews; otherwise, it's mostly beans and stock. I, too, prefer braises in the oven. 

Most used is the coffeemaker (daily) and the CSO (at least 4-5 times a week). I probably use my vacuum sealer at least twice a month. I don't have an air fryer, and got rid of my slow cooker when I got an IP. 

Something I used to have and used a good deal, but don't have any more and really don't miss, is an electric skillet.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

4 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Out of sight out of mind is a truism. I have even considered photographs of each  appliance  and a small art display of said photos in a very visible part of my kitchen to remind me of my options. That would be in lieu of the acres of counter space I would need to display the actual appliances. I think it would kickstart a more creative answer to the question of what’s for dinner on those days when nothing appeals. Yeah I know it’s a crazy idea.

What's for dinner? That would be something made by somebody else using the processor or the blender. And if you did have pics of your appliances would you remember where you stashed them? You would need to note:

3rd shelf left side garage.

2nd down SE cabinet behind ice cream maker.

Pantry. You'll see it when you get there. Is there a pantry? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Very Julia-ish!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My waffle iron, ice cream makers and meat grinder probably get used the least (and are probably pretty close to equal in that department) but I don't have any that get used so little that I wouldn't miss them if they were gone.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Definitely my meat mincer / grinder.  I only ever used it once. If I want to mince meat, I use a haché technique with two cleavers. Quicker, easier to control how fine you want it and minimal washing up.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Not to out my wife but these are all her doing.  In order of uselessness - bread maker (in garage, I think), ice cream maker (no idea), air fryer, instapot (-save 5m on 20m rice, so far it's only use).  I suppose space is the big factor.  None of these would've made it through my city apt door.   Manner of possession and sentimentality too.  -Purchased, gifted, bought used or free and who it came from.  I feel attached to mom's industrial size bingo party coffee urn that we'll never use.  

Rarely use the stick blender but a great in pot tool and occupies such little space (in a house).  No plan for eviction.   

• Like 3

That wasn't chicken

I think if I could see my stuff, instead of most of it being in the attic, I'd use them a lot more.  I wish I had better access to my panini press and my Cuisinart.  My waffle iron would be used MUCH more if I didn't have to wait for Mr. Kim to retrieve it.  I have so little counter space - the only things that have earned permanent spots are the KA and the CSO, which I use more than my big oven.  There are also things that I rarely use, but when I need them nothing else will do - my Nesco roaster, the Vitamix.  All that being said, I am going to be offering my Cuisinart Rotisserie oven up for adoption.  I haven't used it in years.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

All that being said, I am going to be offering my Cuisinart Rotisserie oven up for adoption.  I haven't used it in years.  

@weinoo brought up things we got rid of and regretted doing. I used to keep the roaster on the washer. Just set it on ground when needed to wash. I really enjoyed it - $5 garage sale purchase but - in a move - adios. I also garage saled my Atlas pasta roller. It could have lived in the corner of a closet on the floor. I was in divestment mode. Somebody got a deal!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, heidih said:

@weinoo brought up things we got rid of and regretted doing. I used to keep the roaster on the washer. Just set it on ground when needed to wash. I really enjoyed it - $5 garage sale purchase but - in a move - adios. I also garage saled my Atlas pasta roller. It could have lived in the corner of a closet on the floor. I was in divestment mode. Somebody got a deal!

I've always used a disposable roasting pan for doing a turkey or ham in the oven.  Many years ago, my dad gave me a large heavy-gauge roasting pan for Christmas.  I donated it almost immediately.  I've since regretted that SO much.

3 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I've always used a disposable roasting pan for doing a turkey or ham in the oven.  Many years ago, my dad gave me a large heavy-gauge roasting pan for Christmas.  I donated it almost immediately.  I've since regretted that SO much.

Oh I regret burning the roaster up and then pretending I had no idea where it could be hiding in the garage. I love the disposable but you only have to have it tweak on you with a heavy bird, send hot juices everywhere, and have to rush to make sure nobody saw you pick it up off kitchen floor (dogs were outside both times thank heavens). And it was doubled up!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, palo said:

Added to my list - blender - used to use it qute a bit for milkshakes but don't do milkshakes anymore.

p

I have a blender that sits in a cabinet, for once a year smoothies. I've had it a long time but I don't feel like I can get rid of it. I didn't purchase, but was re-homed, a nice little espresso machine (Sicilian BIL rejected it) which I've NEVER used.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

3 minutes ago, heidih said:

Oh I regret burning the roaster up and then pretending I had no idea where it could be hiding in the garage. I love the disposable but you only have to have it tweak on you with a heavy bird, send hot juices everywhere, and have to rush to make sure nobody saw you pick it up off kitchen floor (dogs were outside both times thank heavens). And it was doubled up!

Stores here sporadically sell 'em with an external wire frame, for just that reason (it's otherwise a fairly standard deep foil 1/2 pan size). Since they're not always available, I eventually had an epiphany and kept a couple of the frames. Now I can just buy a disposable foil half-pan when I want, and don't have to worry about it (I also have permanent roasters, and sometimes use one...depends on my mood).

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

6 minutes ago, heidih said:

Gotta put those treacherous bastards on a sheet pan and even then...

• Haha 2

How do you get the good stuff (aka the fond, not the fonz) out of a flimsy disposable aluminum roasting pan? I can only see using them, with a wire frame, in a catering situation (often, with a sterno underneath and the pan itself sitting in a bain marie).

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 minute ago, weinoo said:

How do you get the good stuff (aka the fond, not the fonz) out of a flimsy disposable aluminum roasting pan? I can only see using them, with a wire frame, in a catering situation (often, with a sterno underneath and the pan itself sitting in a bain marie).

Henry Winkler aside - a wooden spoon well used and rounded, set pan across burner, add bit of water or wine - there ya go. 

• Like 1

So using a flimsy, oversized pan, on a hot burner with boiling liquids, that you would then pick up to pour into a small saucepan or gravy boat, is a smart thing to do in the kitchen?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

35 minutes ago, weinoo said:

So using a flimsy, oversized pan, on a hot burner with boiling liquids, that you would then pick up to pour into a small saucepan or gravy boat, is a smart thing to do in the kitchen?

The amount of alcohol in the equation pushes towards moves that might be considered ridiculous. Never lost that fond infused liquid though. And I used to start day ahead and make extra gravy for gravy making impaired friends whose husbands would pick up the elixir TDay morning. Then California - we are "different".  

ETA quote: 

“God has a special providence for fools, drunkards, and the United States of America.”

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1