• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vertical Slow Juicers

JoNorvelleWalker

As implied in another thread I now have a Kuvings EVO820 slow juicer.  There is eGullet love to go around for citrus juicers, centrifugal juicers, Champion juicers -- but none for Kuvings and similar single auger vertical technology.  Herewith I hope to remedy the lack.

Kuvings11212020.png

Mixers shown for scale.  The Kuvings is not light but I can lift it and there is a convenient handle in the rear.  Assembly was easy but when I applied power, nothing happened.  To spare some histrionics, observe the red dot below the word "closed".  To function the red dot must be below the || symbol to the right of the word "closed".  Now we know.

Fit of the parts is excellent, as it should be for the price.  The included recipe book is more useful than the half a dozen or more juicer books I've had out from the library.  For a first experiment I chose celery juice.  The ingredients are three stalks of celery and one apple.  The feed tube of the Kuvings is large enough to have accommodated the apple whole.  I cut mine in quarters though.  Kuvings specifies to remove the stem but juice the apple with skin and seeds for extra nutrients.

The machine juiced the apple and the celery in five minutes.  I was going slowly though.  Cleanup took ten minutes, probably because I missed the step of running rinse water through the mechanism.  One tip:  before disassembly be sure you have some free surface to put down the pieces.  Otherwise you feel pretty stupid wandering around the kitchen holding wet juicer parts.

So how was the juice?

Juice11212020.png

The juice was lovely, better than I might have hoped.  No foam or pulp to mar the texture.  If anything I thought it might be improved by a touch of salt.  So I added a few shakes of Tabasco and two ounces of Wray & Nephew Overproof.  This was clearly a mistake.  The best that can be said, I downed the concoction without throwing up.  Sad waste of good ingredients.  The Kuvings recipe cannot be blamed.  The recipe book includes alcoholic beverages but this was not one.

What else can one do with a slow juicer?  I have in mind to try orgeat.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

i've not used one of these but presumably the slower it works the less risk of heat and oxidation to affect the flavour.

to that end i wonder if anyone has come up with a vacuum juicer before

edit: presumably they can (but not necessarily are) quieter.

Edited by jimb0 (log)
  • Like 1

I've had a Waring juicer for years.  It is loud and dangerous, and jumps around on the table.  It does juice fruit such as apples, except that it is then a pain to clean.  The Kuvings is quiet and there is less froth.  OK, I'd say so far there is no froth.  Kuvings makes a vacuum blender but I don't think they have a vacuum juicer.

This afternoon I juiced up some old hairy carrots.  Slimy too, but I washed them.  And ginger that was to the point of being soft.  Clean up was easier because I remembered the injunction to rinse the mechanism out with water first.  I like that there are no sharp parts.  Carrots and ginger were not a combination from the book.  Taste was medicinal healthful.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker
spelling (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

This afternoon before work I made a recipe I saw on the Williams Sonoma site:  golden beets, apple, and an inch of ginger.  This was like ambrosia.  Unfortunately I was timing how long it took and I neglected to put a glass under the juicer spout.

From starting to prep the produce to cleaning the kitchen floor it was almost 30 minutes.

Normally I do not eat before work, but I must say, I felt I had more energy today.  Maybe there is something to this juicing business.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

This afternoon before work I made a recipe I saw on the Williams Sonoma site:  golden beets, apple, and an inch of ginger.  This was like ambrosia.  Unfortunately I was timing how long it took and I neglected to put a glass under the juicer spout.

From starting to prep the produce to cleaning the kitchen floor it was almost 30 minutes.

Normally I do not eat before work, but I must say, I felt I had more energy today.  Maybe there is something to this juicing business.

Maybe there is something in cleaning the kitchen floor?

Seriously - you don't need recipes to make juice, do you? Go with the flow!  Except, do that into a glass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

This afternoon before work I made a recipe I saw on the Williams Sonoma site:  golden beets, apple, and an inch of ginger. 

I'd forgotten for a moment which thread I was reading, and thought "Hmmm...interesting salad!"

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 7 months later...
3 hours ago, ellamacrow said:
I've just recently started using a blender. I've been using one to make milkshakes (low fat milk, ice cream and fruit/chocolate/peanut butter). I've heard a lot about juicing. Vegetables and fruits mixed together for nutritional benefit. Does anyone here use juicers or blenders? Share your recipes!

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/161722-vertical-slow-juicers/

As it happens I used my blender and juicer yesterday to make orgeat.  Here's the recipe...

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/52996-orgeat/?do=findComment&comment=2301356

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A friend just purchased a Kuvings EVO820, the same model that I have.  I hope she doesn't hate me for it.

I must say I am surprised more eGullet people don't have slow juicers.  In my experience you can do things with a slow juicer that you cannot do otherwise.  Zombie apocalypse aside.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I must say I am surprised more eGullet people don't have slow juicers.  In my experience you can do things with a slow juicer that you cannot do otherwise.

Maybe we don’t know that we want to do those things?

Maybe we don’t even know what those things are?

Do they do anything beside the obvious (ie, making of juice)? GF and I don't drink any, and a hand-held reamer suffices for the quantity of citrus juice I use in cooking.

I'm not being facetious, I'm genuinely curious if it has other uses.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

3 hours ago, chromedome said:

Do they do anything beside the obvious (ie, making of juice)? GF and I don't drink any, and a hand-held reamer suffices for the quantity of citrus juice I use in cooking.

I'm not being facetious, I'm genuinely curious if it has other uses.

My primary use is to make orgeat.

I really want a VSJ but don't have the space for it. It's the sort of thing that needs to live on my counter so I'll actually use it, or else it will sit tucked away in the dark until the one time a year I remember to use it. Several times a year, I go on a juice kick and cold pressed juices are really expensive ($10+ for 16oz/500ml). But the inputs are really expensive, so I don't know how much juice I'd have to drink to save money in the long run. I'd also press a juicer into cocktail service. The model I want is the Omega VSJ843, in large part because it's the easiest (or among the easiest) to clean. Omegas go on sale all the time on the manufacturer's website, sometimes for quite substantial discounts. Don't pay retail. If I ever pull the trigger on one, I'll order through DiscountJuicers.com and have them price match the official Omega price. I've watched so many juicer comparison videos on the Discount Juicers YouTube channel, I feel like I owe it to John to give him my business. All his videos are too long and kind of rambly, but there's something about his goofy juice energy that sucks me in. 

Edited by btbyrd (log)
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Do you drink a lot of juice, Jo? Or mainly use the juicer to prepare your Mai Tai(s)?

Mainly to prepare my mai tais.  That's where the orgeat goes.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

If I ever pull the trigger on one, I'll order through DiscountJuicers.com and have them price match the official Omega price. I've watched so many juicer comparison videos on the Discount Juicers YouTube channel, I feel like I owe it to John to give him my business. All his videos are too long and kind of rambly, but there's something about his goofy juice energy that sucks me in. 

I agree completely about John and his videos!  I've spent many hours there.

• Like 1

One outstanding idea I learned from John...

CornJuice08152021.jpg

No oranges were injured in the preparation.  This is the juice of two freshly shucked ears of corn, cob and all.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

19 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

A friend just purchased a Kuvings EVO820, the same model that I have.  I hope she doesn't hate me for it.

I must say I am surprised more eGullet people don't have slow juicers.  In my experience you can do things with a slow juicer that you cannot do otherwise.  Zombie apocalypse aside.

Like what?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

No oranges were injured in the preparation.  This is the juice of two freshly shucked ears of corn, cob and all.

Lovely photo.  No idea whether it's a pint glass or tiny juice glass or what. Would you be willing to enlighten us on how much corn juice one can get from 2 ears in such a machine and how long it takes?  And what you do with such a product?  If I've got nice fresh corn, I'd rather eat it but maybe I'm missing something. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
typo (log)

33 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Lovely photo.  No idea whether it's a pint glass or tiny juice glass or what. Would you be willing to enlighten us on how much corn juice one can get from 2 ears in such a machine and how long it takes?  And what you do with such a product?  If I've got nice fresh corn, I'd rather eat it but maybe I'm missing something. 

The vessel is a Baccarat Perfection water glass.  It holds 362 ml.  So two ears of corn yield about 10 ounces.  Juicing took about four minutes.  I had not set a timer.

What to do with such a product?  Drink it.  It is ambrosial.  On reflection it might make an interesting cooking liquid for polenta.

• Like 3