• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nigella butters her toast and divides the nation.

Anna N

Click.

Nigella Lawson butters her toast twice and causes chaos at the breakfast table.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I agree that toast must be buttered immediately from the toaster. Once is enough.

Something that torments my soul is seeing people that don't butter bread for a sandwich or a bun for a burger or slider etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain said:

I agree that toast must be buttered immediately from the toaster. Once is enough.

Something that torments my soul is seeing people that don't butter bread for a sandwich or a bun for a burger or slider etc.

You butter the bun for a burger? OK then. It’s a good job we live continents apart. But then what should I expect of people who think beetroot is an appropriate topping on a burger? 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Captain said:

Butter on a sandwich or slider/burger bun...NEVER!       If anything, you warm the bun in a buttered pan   

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

3 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Butter on a sandwich or slider/burger bun...NEVER!       If anything, you warm the bun in a buttered pan   

This. My dad would make buttered buns in a pan for burgers...gave them a little crispiness around the edges.

• Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I almost always butter and grill my burger buns, and buy the "New England-style" (split top) hot dog buns so I can do the same with those.

...And bread for sandwiches is always buttered, even if it subsequently gets another spread/condiment on it, because that's what keeps the bread from getting soggy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I may butter and toast a hamburger bun. Never a hot dog roll. Never ever sandwich bread or, God forbid, a bagel.

Grilled cheese bread is schmeared with mayo to grill it at least in part because i never have soft butter

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

You butter the bun for a burger? OK then. It’s a good job we live continents apart. But then what should I expect of people who think beetroot is an appropriate topping on a burger? 😂

Like a pickle - really goood - bleeds a bit

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/18/2020 at 5:02 AM, Anna N said:

Click.

Nigella Lawson butters her toast twice and causes chaos at the breakfast table.

On 11/18/2020 at 4:44 PM, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Just read Anna's link.    That is kinda how I butter my toast.    Never thought it odd.   Just adding a little butter where a little more butter might make it better.  

I butter my toast once, but I believe I use enough butter to get the same effect. Et tu, @Kim Shook?

• Like 3