• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lox: Is there anything it can't do? Well, yes, at least one thing.

Alex

Here's a fun read for those of us who are interested in both food and etymology.

"One of my favorite words is lox,” says Gregory Guy, a professor of linguistics at New York University. There is hardly a more quintessential New York food than a lox bagel—a century-old popular appetizing store, Russ & Daughters, calls it “The Classic.” But Guy, who has lived in the city for the past 18 years, is passionate about lox for a different reason. “The pronunciation in the Proto-Indo-European was probably ‘lox,’ and that’s exactly how it is pronounced in modern English,” he says. “Then, it meant salmon, and now it specifically means ‘smoked salmon.’ It’s really cool that that word hasn’t changed its pronunciation at all in 8,000 years and still refers to a particular fish.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Very misleading title. "The English Word That Hasn’t Changed in Sound or Meaning in 8,000 Years". English is only around 2,000 years old. Also, there is no mention of the word 'lox' appearing in print in English unti as recently as 1941!

There is also evidence that it was also prononced 'lax' in the past.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 hours ago, haresfur said:

I thought lox was cured, not smoked. Or is that too pedantic?

Right...in my book, lox (or, more correctly, belly lox, sometimes called salty lox) is cured and not smoked. Like gravalax. Smoked salmon (nova for those who know it by this term) is cold smoked.   And kippered salmon is hot smoked.

Too pedantic for eG? NEVER!

At Russ, if you ask for "lox," they may even ask you if you know what it is. 

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

6 hours ago, haresfur said:

I thought lox was cured, not smoked. Or is that too pedantic?

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

Right...in my book, lox (or, more correctly, belly lox, sometimes called salty lox) is cured and not smoked. Like gravalax. Smoked salmon (nova for those who know it by this term) is cold smoked.   And kippered salmon is hot smoked.

Absolutely important to make these distinctions.    I can tolerate and enjoy salmon as ceviche and the loxes but find that any of the smoked versions cause me digestive distress.  

eGullet member #80.

I thought 'lox' was just a bastardized shortening of 'gravlax', a Scandinavian word w upon googling Germanic before that:

"Etymology. The word gravlax comes from the Scandinavian word gräva/grave ("to dig"; modern sense "to cure (fish)") which goes back to the Proto-Germanic *grabą, *grabō ("hole in the ground; ditch, trench; grave") and the Indo-European root *ghrebh- "to dig, to scratch, to scrape", and lax/laks, "salmon".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That wasn't chicken

8 hours ago, weinoo said:

I had totally forgotten, "nova." Thanks for the reminder. Although we just say, "smoked salmon" in Australia and no one seems to identify cold vs. hot except by looking at it.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

It may be cultural. I prefer Nova, but then I love smoked Sable too

• Like 1

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

I have in my freezer three 8-oz packages of hot-smoked salmon, which a local charity smokes and sells every fall. Any thoughts of recipes? I'm familiar with its use with pasta in a cream sauce, and I've used it in salads. Found a recipe for it in a salad with quinoa and brown rice that looked interesting. Obviously in a cheese spread. Other ideas?

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

We like it (hot smoked) served with a Vietnamese style herb/lettuce plate. So rolled up with greenery of choice and a dollop of horseradish mayo or sour cream, Horseradish is essential.  Thin slivers of cucumber (preferably a Persian style) add a nice note. Sit around, munch, listen to music and laugh at our younger selves..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kayb said:

I have in my freezer three 8-oz packages of hot-smoked salmon, which a local charity smokes and sells every fall. Any thoughts of recipes? I'm familiar with its use with pasta in a cream sauce, and I've used it in salads. Found a recipe for it in a salad with quinoa and brown rice that looked interesting. Obviously in a cheese spread. Other ideas?

Makes a good dip.

Not that anyone's entertaining much, at the moment...

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

Makes a good dip.

Not that anyone's entertaining much, at the moment...

Yeah - with frozen/defrosted hot smoked, that's as good as it's going to get. Dip or spread - cream cheese, mayo, sour cream, yogurt, chives, dill, lemon, etc. etc. s

Tasty Travails - My Blog

5 hours ago, kayb said:

Hot smoked salmon was something I didn't really get exposed to until I moved to the west coast. The Pacific North West, often small roadside stands, makes hot smoked salmon (and other hot smoked fish like Black Cod) one of the great treats of a road trip along the coast. Often it doesn't last longer than the destination. When it's good it's nice and moist and flakes easily. 

But one of my favorite uses of hot smoked fish is in kedgeree, that Indian-colonial cultural mix of rice, fish, and sometimes chopped hard-cooked egg, often lightly curried. Recipes often specify smoked haddock, but we don't get that around here, and salmon is perfect. Very comforting dish!

I also like hot smoked salmon in some kind of fried fish cakes, with potatoes and other ingredients. Variations are numerous. Or, if I'm really lazy, I do nothing with it, just pick away at it as an appetizer on dark rye or crackers or all be itself. It could also be good in a breakfast quiche or pie. 

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Thanks, all. I'd bookmarked a kedgeree recipe as a potential. Also some fish cakes that are a combo of poached and smoked salmon. We shall see.

That works; I'll even use a can of salmon to make fish cakes.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

• 6 months later...

I've found one thing Nova won't do . . . come apart.

did eggs Benedict for breakfast today - slab of Nova on the muffin.

it comes in a vacuum pack - and getting the slices apart is some kind of trick!

anyone got a trick for that?  colder / warmer . . . .

this AM I simply gave up and used a biscuit cutter for the diameter of the muffin....

50 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

it comes in a vacuum pack - and getting the slices apart is some kind of trick!

anyone got a trick for that?  colder / warmer . . .

Removing a vacuum pack from the fridge for 30 minutes ahead of time allows the slices to separate more easily.

Don't have that much experience with salmon this way...moreso with different types of jamón. 

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

7 hours ago, weinoo said:

Removing a vacuum pack from the fridge for 30 minutes ahead of time allows the slices to separate more easily.

Don't have that much experience with salmon this way...moreso with different types of jamón. 

Yes, room temperature is your friend for any sliced product that is glued together by solidified fat ...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

not so lotta' fat in cured salmon.

I would have thought otherwise. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Any time I open a package of sliced smoked salmon, nova, Gaspé, whatever you want to call the smoked product (but not lox), and whether that product has been hand sliced at Russ & Daughters or commercially vacuum packed, it's loaded with oil.

As a matter of fact, perusing most of the cold-smoked products on this page, the fat content in the various salmon products seems to be anywhere from 30 - 50%.

• Like 4

Tasty Travails - My Blog

3 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

nope.  salmon is very low fat.

But...but...Omega-3s. I'm devastated.

• Haha 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer