• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A signature cocktail: The Cantilever

Craig E

This might be a place to put my proud announcement that a signature cocktail I designed for the Society of Architectural Historians was released today. 

It's a drink inspired by the bottles found at an archaeological dig on the site of the 19th-c. Charnley-Persky house in Chicago, now headquarters of the Society. 

The video I made tells the story and directions in more detail, and the full recipe is on Kindred. 

I'm an amateur at both cocktail crafting and at video production and that probably shows. But think of the word "amateur" in its etymological roots--done for and with love!

If you have 8 minutes to spare I invite you to watch! 

cantilever 1.png

• Like 6

Picked up Byrrh for the first time for this project, and really liked it. It's a shame if it's not available (though subbing other aperitif wines for the Byrrh and other amari for the Lucano Anniversario might be worthwhile to try). 

Thank you! I don't have Byrrh at home, so before I run out and buy a bottle, what might you suggest as a substitute?

However, the real reason I'm excited is that Ms Alex and I visited the Charnley-Persky House a couple of years ago.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

27 minutes ago, Alex said:

Thank you! I don't have Byrrh at home, so before I run out and buy a bottle, what might you suggest as a substitute?

Others around here know the field better than I do, but maybe Dubonnet Rouge would be close?

13 hours ago, Alex said:

However, the real reason I'm excited is that Ms Alex and I visited the Charnley-Persky House a couple of years ago.

Byrrh tastes to me like ruby port with some non-aromatic bittering in it... so if you have tonic syrup sort of stuff a bit of that into some ruby port might make a decent substitute.  

• Like 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

What about Chinato? Salers?

Fortunately, Byrrh is pretty easy to find around here...

https://www.astorwines.com/SearchResultsSingle.aspx?search=12244&searchtype=Contains&term=byrrh&p=2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I have a bottle of Lucano but it's not the Anniversario. No Byrrh, but I have Dubonnet Rouge. So maybe I can at least kinda see the show from the cheap seats.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

10 hours ago, cdh said:

Lucano is sold as an "amaro basilicata".  How much does it taste of basil?  Would Ramazotti with a bit of basil syrup be a decent substitute? 

Probably not that much, since Basilicata is actually one of the regions of southern Italy.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

8 hours ago, cdh said:

Shows you how much I know about regional Italy...  What flavors are Basilicatese?

Oh @Franci...

In the meantime...

https://www.greatitalianchefs.com/features/basilicata-food-guide

And my friend Katie Parla's book also might provide some insight...appears her ancestors (or some of them) even come from the region!

Food of the Italian South: Recipes for Classic, Disappearing, and Lost Dishes (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

12 hours ago, cdh said:

Shows you how much I know about regional Italy...  What flavors are Basilicatese?

Basilicatese, this is cute. Lucani are the people of Basilicata also known as Lucania. Lucano=from Basilicata. For what I read it has a mix of 30 herbs.  

Have you ever tried DonCiccio guys, it’s a friend making liqueurs in the US, so good 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I have a bottle of their Amaro delle Sirene.  I had no idea they had so many different products.  Thanks for the link!

I remember an afternoon in my house he brought me to try almost everything 😁 well now he has a lot more! Really passionate guy. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Franci said:

Basilicatese, this is cute. Lucani are the people of Basilicata also known as Lucania. Lucano=from Basilicata. For what I read it has a mix of 30 herbs.  

Have you ever tried DonCiccio guys, it’s a friend making liqueurs in the US, so good 

I've seen them, but not tried them.. will have to pick some examples up when I next run across them

• Like 2

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch