• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jim D.

Jim D.

Yes, I sometimes make fillings ahead and vacuum-seal and freeze them.  They are fine, BUT (painful experience showing here) they must be heated up very slowly, especially if they contain white chocolate.  They "want" to separate and must be coddled.  I break them up into small clumps and heat a few, then a few more.  It ends up almost being more trouble than it's worth, but if I happen to have a lot left, it seems a shame to throw it out.  If I'm making some new but also using old (as I am today), I make the recipe for the new, then, at the end, mix in the old (slowly and with immersion blender).  I have quit making fillings ahead purposely because of these issues.

I feel the same way you do about showing others how to do things.  I consider myself still learning.  But, in my limited experience, most people are in awe of what we do (they find transfer sheets amazing--which I consider the easiest way to make a nice-looking chocolate, requiring very little skill), so I am sure you will be considered a guru.

Jim D.

Jim D.

Yes, I sometimes makes fillings ahead and vacuum-seal and freeze them.  They are fine, BUT (painful experience showing here) they must be heated up very slowly, especially if they contain white chocolate.  They "want" to separate and must be coddled.  I break them up into small clumps and heat a few, then a few more.  It ends up almost being more trouble than it's worth, but if I happen to have a lot left, it seems a shame to throw it out.  If I'm making some new but also using old (as I am today), I make the recipe for the new, then, at the end, mix in the old (slowly and with immersion blender).  I have quit making fillings ahead purposely because of these issues.

I feel the same way you do about showing others how to do things.  I consider myself still learning.  But, in my limited experience, most people are in awe of what we do (they find transfer sheets amazing--which I consider the easiest way to make a nice-looking chocolate, requiring very little skill), so I am sure you will be considered a guru.